The Machinedrum is my Anti-GAS

I spent half of this year fretting over which of the many hardware samplers from Elektron will fit my needs best - Digitakt, Octatrack Mk2, Analog RYTM Mk2, Octatrack Mk1 used - studying their feature sets and possibilities, while also fretting over the knowledge that I can’t spend any money on gear right now. I looked to software solutions, but none (including sw/hw hybrids like Push and Maschine) really satisfied (although, for the record, Renoise Redux looks very cool). Then I came across a video (the Elektron “Workflow” video for Machinedrum) that showed me that a piece of gear I already owned, the Machinedrum UW+ MkII, already does everything I want in a hardware sampler - it live samples in real-time, has a tweakable p-locking sequencer, and has lots of audio mangling possibilities. It also one-ups the Digitakt by having a song mode. Literally everything I was lusting after was sitting on my desk the whole time. I had just never dug into the sampling capabilities, taking it to be a drum machine with unwieldy tacked-on sampling as an afterthought. But that’s not the case at all - the workflow is really easy!

Just goes to show, look more closely at what you have, and learn your current gear before deciding that you really need XYZ.

9 Likes

It even has CTRL-ALL capabilities, which I thought was a feature Digitakt introduced!

4 Likes

maybe the most famous machinedrum feature :slight_smile:
Nice. Anti Gas is a good thing. And diving deeper into existing gear even more

5 Likes

The synthesis methods on the MD are also probably the best algorithms Elektron have come up with. I keep selling mine to try new machines but always yearn for it when it is gone. I have the beatstep pro now so can even do polyrhythms on it.

3 Likes

lets play everybody is invited

3 Likes

I just recently traded my Octatrack, to get a MD mk2 uw again (was my first Elektron, back in the day), and I couldn’t be happier! Amazing machine… And the best looking, of alle the Elektrons :sunglasses:

5 Likes