The joy of printed manuals : )

I found a company to print my Elektron manuals, here in the UK, and couldn’t be happier. I tested them out with these four so far, but now I’m so happy with them I’m going to follow up with many others. I find it so much easier than staring at a screen too.

Who else does such a thing?

53 Likes

Ive been printing all my manuals out since they stopped putting them in the box. Luckily my octatrack is an older one, and came with a lovely printed manual. I use the library. Printed and bound manuals are way better than a pdf on a screen, for me anyway.

3 Likes

I’ve never even opened my OT manual. I vastly prefer PDF’s (or googling) to a printed manual. Search function saves a lot of time.

5 Likes

I always get manuals printed if they are good, I like PDFs but find them inconvenient at times, a nice spiral bound A4 manual can lay flat and won’t jump to the wrong page or another app etc by accident.

Big fan of printed cheat/reference sheets too, put them on the wall near the gear, lots of third party ones around, some in the files area here on the forum.

8 Likes

But I don’t have any! :upside_down_face:

Exactly. I have both, in Dropbox so they are at hand if I’m travelling and need access, but the fact that the manual can sit there at eye level, and I can stay focused on the machine too is great.

2 Likes

I do it, I used Doxzoo, pretty cheap.

2 Likes

I just bought a Printed manual here in the UK for the Octatrack. It means i am really free from the laptop now. Should have done it before. Its like yours spiral bound and only cost £12 all in.

1 Like

Exactly, it’s a lovely feeling! Analogue manual for analogue machines (and sometimes digital machines)

I used doxdirect here in the UK, and had searched for a variety of companies who could print these. One company wanted to charge over £100 for an identical manual that cost me about £12 through them, so happy with my research. And with free postage too!

4 Likes

The hardback version is very good price too.

didn’t really need to print any manual so far as all the machines i’ve got, pretty much came with one, apart from just few, for which i do have to resort to the pdf version, but it doesn’t happen too often so that’s ok. i do prefer the printed version more than the digital format though, only thing i would say i miss on the paper version is a search function :laughing:

1 Like

Dunno but for me it seems that my brains have less trouble to digest printed information than from a screen.
What i really need to have on paper are midi cc’s from devices.

Got the manuals for all my gear on my reMarkable…

Instant access and searchable FTW

13 Likes

Very nice and reminds me that I need to pick up some other manuals then too :slight_smile:

Anyone know of a good place to get manuals printed in the US? I have printed out my manuals, but my laser printer only prints on one side, and then I put them in three ring binders, but would like them printed on both sides with spiral bound.

Paper seems to be the most efficient way to effectively keep track on MIDI CCs, unless you are a very skilled person!!

1 Like

I tend to go to the library to print out select pages I need to reference regularly like cc charts and abbreviation codes for gear with cryptic screens. Sometimes I’ll just write it all down, pen and paper style. I have a whole notebook devoted to the evolver.
I always prefer a nice physical manual but in this day and age I understand companies not automatically including them. Constant firmware updates change the info contained, most consumers are more comfortable using a screen than paper, nobody keeps their gear very long, environmental concerns, minimizing cost, etc. I wish more companies offered it as an option for an extra couple of bucks though.

3 Likes

I’d love to print out some of my manuals too. I got a local quote from Staples and it was quite expensive. Anyone in Canada have any recommendations for cheap printers that will spiral bound?

I had some Emu manuals printed & bound at a local Minuteman Press (Toronto burbs). I think it was reasonably priced (heavy paper, cover, spiral bound), but i take all my print stuff to them.

Sorry i dont remember actual price, but it was probably not exorbitant.

1 Like