The improvised techno thread

Had the boxes sitting on the desk, made a fun pattern which I got a little bit excited about. Hit rec and there you have it: 46 minute techno improve on the DFAM, Ventris ans TR8S. No samples, plenty of FM enjoy! :metal::sunglasses:

5 Likes

Silence no good.

Me exploring 125 bpm in slowly evolving sausage manner.
AR MK 2 only. Boring maybe…but who cares amirite xD

8 Likes

I’m actually a fan of slower techno. I love some good quick pumping stuff too, but really like some intricate, minimal, slower stuff too, as well as tech house and dub techno. They all have their place, but I’ve been leaning more toward the slower stuff lately.

2 Likes

slower stuff just feels different I guess. ratio between kick, snare/clap, percs n stuff changes with tempo, for me at least. with less bpm you can easily fit things and sounds in between beats. kind of pushes the ease overall. advantages and drawbacks. :wink:

the less bpm you got, the more space there is for ear candy and/or boredom. thats what im about to explore. i dedicate one machine (BT) to ear candy, locked samples with certain probabilities and so on…its quite a long journey towards well made hardware techno ;>

1 Like

had to sell 1/3 of my gear to find inspiration again
but I’m glad I did

4 Likes

For some reason this sat on my YouTube Channel as unlisted for close to a year, so here it is, public at last. It’s a 45min live recording we did with my friend Kerst for a podcast last year :

Modular is all improvised and looped on the fly, drums are mostly Ableton.

6 Likes

Just skipped through it and concluded this is what I’m going to listen to tonight. :>
Sounds good!

1 Like

Sounding good👍 Didn’t listen to the whole thing but the bits I heard sounded very alive which is what I like.

2 Likes

I think this artist called Spacetrillian is doing some pretty cool live uptempo techno stuff on a collection of Elektrons

1 Like

Another good clip of them

1 Like

So I basically just discovered the goodness of having a limiter at the end of the mixing chain and also leveled up my rumble skills

2 Likes

Doesn’t get much more improvised than this… I gave my 4 year old the headphones and pressed ‘go’ with the TR8S in ‘Inst Rec’ mode having laid out a 4 on the floor kick. She button bashed out this rhythm-I listened back and had to record a clip! So much more ‘alive’ than the beats I produce!! Lyra 8 makes an appearance as well.

On a serious note it did make me realise how spoilt we are with good sounding and easy to use gear these days. Crazy that a kid with no idea what they are doing can bash there way to this!

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Caw_8bGFPd8/?utm_medium=copy_link

4 Likes

Wow, supernice flow. Really great jam!

1 Like

AR MK2 only, noodling with its delay. Should extend, funny things happen.
Keeping it under control in live circumstances saves lifes, imho, thats what I was aiming for :wink:

2 Likes

Fresh liveact with Elektron gear :wink:

■ Elektron Analog Rytm mk2
■ Elektron Octatrack
■ Elektron Digitakt
■ Arturia Microfreak
■ Behringer TD-3
■ Elektron Analog Heat MKI as Master Saturator & Compress FX

8 Likes

Looping

It’s been mentioned a few times in the thread but I think it would still be useful for us to share more of our workflows with regards to looping when improvising. This video by Mylarmelodies has some good info:

For those that play techno live, what processing do you do to your drum machines? I’ve picked up a 909 clone and it needs a bit more oomph, so I’m looking to get some sort of overdrive/distortion pedal. Obviously the AH would be nice, but it’s quite expensive… I’m looking for that old school, slammed techno sound (also, a pedal is much easier to cart around than an old Mackie desk…)

Just bought a tc electronic dark matter this week because of this video:

Need to Test mine this weekend :wink:

3 Likes

My comments about it are here:

5 Likes

I use an EHX LPB2ube on my MD. Stereo tube pre-amp/disto. Great combo.

1 Like