The improvised techno thread

I just have to post it…been jamming around for like 40 minutes, this drop is what made me smile. :slight_smile: really like it. elektron sequencers make it so easy to create really impactful drops. you have to love it. <3

That kick though…AR MK2 is capable of REALLY SICK KICKS. I would have spent 1.300 € just for those kicks…I love it!

2 Likes

I have been pondering the idea of setting up a separate live jam Techno setup, since I have a lot of equipment not in use. Below is the configuration I presently have under consideration:

• Synth 1: Korg ARP Odyssey Module RV3
  • Synth 2: Moog Sirin
  • Synth 3: Pittsburgh Modular Lifeforms SV-1 Blackbox
  • Synth 4: Roland AIRA SYSTEM-1m
  • Drum Machine / Sampler: Pioneer DJ Toraiz SP-16
  • Keyboard Controller / Sequencer: Arturia KeyStep Pro
  • Mixer: Mackie 1202VLZ4
  • Reverb: Lexicon ALEX
  • Delay: Digitech RDS-4000 Time Machine

My Analog Four MKII, Analog Rytm MKII, and Octatrack MKII trio is another option in the future, but I need more time to develop a quick workflow with each device. At this time, the non-Elektron setup will be more intuitive and efficient.

2 Likes

pretty much just exploring moods because I can’t sleep.

1 Like

I both agree with all these, and disagree with all these simultaneously!

Any degree of acid to the tech, and you have either a bassline or melody.

Any chords and as long as they aren’t piano samples, you have dubish-tech.

Granted, introducing these to the techno, can be a bit risky. Though all of them have been used to great effect by even the techiest of the techno-folk of the techtroid dimension.

Jeff Mills 4 Art?

Side story about 4 Art… Was at a party early-mid 90s. Oscar Mulero was playing this track as some unfortunate young lady became overwhelmed by her acid. He had to stop the track, get on the mic to ask whoever brought her to take her home or to a hospital. As soon as that happened, this track spun back up, while a tiger-bouncey-house started deflating in the back of the venue. Apparently it got popped while this was occurring.

Made for a very surreal experience. Definitely was concerned for that girl, but that whole set of events was rather interesting at the time. Excellent set!

7 Likes

I think literally everyone could use a reminder to be bold :slight_smile:

3 Likes

But it’s not just the chord and the melody, a very important aspect of both is sound design, otherwise it’d be neither acidy nor dubby.
The 303 with its resonating filter + envelope and the inevitable delay for the dub chord.

Anyway, I can’t disagree with you as what you’re saying ist kind of what I’m saying as well.
For ME it’s not necessarily about chords (or chord progressions) or harmony but if it sounds good, it’s great, no matter if it’s chords, single notes without musical context, minor, major, phrygian, granulized f**ked up drums oder just a lovely sawtooth lead synth melody. :slight_smile:

1 Like

About keeping the mood, and keeping it interesting and evolving at the same time? How fast and how volatile evolvement I guess is a matter of taste.

1 Like

Very nice stuff there, but folks might say it’s 2 synths too many (or even 3)

1 Like

Not mine, but an Elektron setup

6 Likes

I like that, minimal and tight

Yeah, I can see your point. It’s doubtful everything will be used at once, but the setup provides enough options to mix things up.

Some improvised techno, haven’t worked on transitions too much, but the upside of having humans as sequencers is you can break down or build up quite effortlessly.
The combination of Sensory Percussion and the AR is mind boggling to say the least, our drummer just went from a rhythmic element to also encopas both melody and harmony at times, with the nuances control of an acoustic drum set. One expression pedal going to the AR (can be mildly heard on some of the fx an i think cowbell in this video) , and one track is reserved to trigger the as1 sequence stepwise.
This Saturday we’ll have our first gig in a while, so we made a bunch of kits that complement each other and improv with them to form musical content. It’s mighty fun, and I’m happy as a toddler when we do this!

6 Likes

I’ve been thinking about getting an Empress Effects Zoia to send my Digitone through it.
Lots of Jams and experiments have been made, send effects have been explored.

It’s either starting with eurorack modular stuff or getting a really nice multi-fx pedal.
Zoia seems like a very powerful tool to mess up Digitone beyond all recognition.

Recommendations?

1 Like

I got into modular for a few years, every time I jammed on it I walked away with a shopping list of things I wanted, until my rack got cumbersome to work with and I downsized. And then it grew big again, got cumbersome again, so I downsized. Now I’ve quit cold turkey, even giving away my last module to a friend to get it out of the house, and gone back to productive means of making music.

I know many people who get great satisfaction and productivity from their modulars so maybe it’s just me.

My main advice would be if you get into modular, be specific about what you hope to accomplish with it and what you will be satisfied to do outside of eurorack.

And if you value recall-ability, don’t go into modular.

3 Likes

Totally agree.

My intention is to add some depth and the ability to fubar on the ‘synth part of things’ while AR MK2 is and will stay the center of my setup.
Zoia as a kind of modular configurable insert effect seems to be exactly what I’m looking for…and eurorack modular stuff seems to be exactly what I don’t need…but I LIKE KNOBS.

Lacking ability to have ANY kind of preset saved made me sell the Behringer Neutron. Not a good premise to dive into modular, huh? :joy:

2 Likes

I like mine, but since you’re asking within the context of improvisation I don’t think I would recommend it for that purpose unless you want to do a lot of preparation beforehand.

1 Like

It’s not just you. Persons have a wildly divergent (pun intended) variance of how we operate best.

1 Like

after tonight i feel confident enough to play before real crowd. gonna try to make it happen.

5 Likes

Ha, that light on the forehead is a real cool idea for the video!

Nice ambient textures in the beginning, seems like you had good fun. Some more drums would make it more techno’ish, obviously – whatever, I know very well how fun the more decelerated jams can be.

it’s a playlist, the first is more like a warm up. check the other 4 as well

1 Like