The 'I still love my Octatrack' thread

It’s not a learning curve, it’s a ramp to get you airborne

:arrow_up:️Quote of the day!:arrow_up:

3 Likes

I’ve been in love with the Octatrack since I first laid my hands on it a number of years ago. Lately I’ve thinking that I might add a second OT.

5 Likes

I’m done wasting my time with Elektronauts. I think I’ll watch the news again instead. :smile:

1 Like

Love love love it.

It can be a swiss army knife to get things done or a big box full of crayons to play with.

Crayon in brain ? :slight_smile:

Oops, sorry @xidnpnlss, lost in translation :
“Crane” means skull in French.

2 Likes

A crayon per bank.

2 Likes

What are some creative usages of duo Octatracks beyond double the tracks?

Right now, I’m just wanting double the tracks… but I have no doubt that there will be many possibilities that will reveal themselves.

2 Likes

Everything is doubled, so more fx, more recording time, more inputs / outputs…
One can be dedicated to playing, another for fx. Sometimes I use 6 tracks for 1 input / source.

1 Like

I’ve got two. I treat them as two separate decks.

They both control my Digitone via midi merge.

Patterns A - H are main patterns. I - P are supplementary patterns that I can overlay onto main patterns.

All go into my Allen and Heath DB4 on separate channels.

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s exactly it. I can chew up a lot of tracks with a single source.

I don´t like OT, but OT likes me !

2 Likes

Coming from the OP1, the MPC touch, and various DAWS throughout the years, the OT was no harder than any of those things to learn the U/I. I think the hardest part of the OT once you can get around on it, is dealing with the immense amount of possibilities and opportunities. The MPC and the OP1 in a lot of ways share these qualities, but they at least have subtle limitations that kind of keep things moving ( well the MPC is just as ripe as the OT imo). The OT can play things straight up and straight ahead, but its strength is definitely in making all things glitch and really playing the samples, as if they are the notes themselves. I think having a high threshold for dissonance is an advantage when it comes to something like an OT and music production in general. Being able to hear what is a ‘tolerable amount of artistic dissonance’ and what is ‘not’

2 Likes