The Guitar Thread

I hope you like it. I love mine. I’m worried it could be a gateway drug to Tom Cram’s other stuff though.

1 Like

I’m way behind in movies, but watched the Carmine Street Guitars documentary last night and really enjoyed it. It will definitely make you want to play guitar.

I also happened to find a really cool guitar and amp tech near me this past week and he’s doing a bit of minor work on the new Yamaha SG800 for me. I’m super happy to find a local guy that can service my guitars and amps. He was an in-house repair guy and builder for one the big Japanese guitar makers for over a decade and then went out on his own six years ago.

Really cool shop and we ended up talking about guitars and amps for like an hour.

image image image

5 Likes

I got a call from the guitarist in one of my bands yesterday asking me to meet him at the local antique shop to give a “fine toothed comb” look at a 1978 Ibanez pf200. The pickups had been replaced but the originals were in the case, otherwise it was in surprisingly good shape for its age. It even had my kind of setup (too low for most people to be able to play) so he’ll have to raise the action a bit. He ended up buying it. The picture doesn’t do it justice, it’s a really nice wine red.
Oh, and that’s him holding it, not me. She shop also has a 1971 fender mustang that I had a really hard time putting back on the wall. Of course the mustang was $2500 so I’m just happy I got to play it for a few minutes.

8 Likes

Awesome! Sweet find! Reminds me of my new Yamaha. I hope he likes as much as I like mine! I can’t wait to get mine back from the guitar tech. It’s such an awesome guitar that it deserved a little TLC to get in tip-top shape. I realized quickly that this will definitely be a lifetime keeper for me.

3 Likes
3 Likes

In case anyone else is interested, we got this going now. I have a MkI that is lying broken in my basement but when it was operational, I used it with my Handsonic, bass, etc.

4 Likes

This is a fun new series (?) from the JHS crew. It reminds me of Rhythm Roulette but with guitar pedals instead of records. I hope they keep doing these because I found it pretty inspiring.

2 Likes

Dirt pedal shootout tonight.

6 Likes

Amp pedal shootout over here :rofl:

I stuffed up a pedal order. Not a particularly cheap error. But hey, I couldn’t be happier with my new bi-amped bass rig.

6 Likes

That chorus pedal malarkey makes a bit more sense now…

Although, if the above were same model amps or guitars it would be totally reasonable to AB and pick the preferred.

Latest pedalboard update - dirt edition.

Out: MXR EQ pedal, Joyo XVI octave.
In: Earthquaker Hizumitas, OBNE Excess v2

Initial thoughts: really glad I got both, I considered getting only Excess but the drives sound really great stacked. Hizumitas’ sustain when cranked plays into the theme for the board options here with stuff like Plus pedal, Sunlight, and Mood.

Pretty happy with Excess’ modulation side as well. I wouldn’t have devoted an entire pedal spot to a chorus but not it’s great to have one, and the delay and fifths modes are nice utility too. I’m using Arcades at the end of the signal chain with the Generation Loss card to “tapeify” the whole signal, so having some pre-reverb modulation to throw into the mix is very nice. of Excess gives me access to a few modes as well.

10 Likes

You have hot a very decent board, I must confess…
How is the game changer audio plus pedal? I read some mixed reviews, that it is hard to capture and sustain the right chord. And 2nd question: how heavy is it ?

After a bit of practice it’s not too hard to get the correct notes with the plus pedal, but it takes some getting used to. It’s a bit counter intuitive that you have to press it after you play, but once you get a few hours to try it, it becomes second nature. It is definitely a pretty heavy pedal, though

3 Likes

Indeed

4 Likes

@porkloin thanks a lot. You answered exactly the points I always wanted to know… all the best

1 Like

The Gamechanger Plus does require practice. If you press on it too early, it will sample the attack of your guitar chord and it will thus play percussive sounds instead a more smoothly sustaining chord. And yes, it’s every bit as heavy as you would expect it to be, with that piano pedal made of real metal, not plastic.

The pedal gives you some control over the loudness of the sustained sound - nice for adding a bit of a swell.

I still haven’t dug too deeply into Group mode

2 Likes

I’ve got a real fancy for one of these… keeping an eye out for a used one though

I’ve been kinda frustrated with the standard tuning and decided to start experimenting with some alternatives and life is good. It feels awesome not being constantly pulled back to all of those old riffs I was never able to build anything decent around.

It seems to me that some ppl like things they understand and others are drawn to stuff they don’t really understand well and that I definitely belong to the latter category.

Instantly there are new moods to be discovered and the burden of practicing scales and sounding like everybody else is diminished.

It would be cool to hear about your experiences outside the standard tuning.

5 Likes

A lot of my best stuff is in alternate tunings. I remember learning that most of blood on the tracks was open E, and between that, the stones and nick drake, I was really into alternate tunings. It’s so rewarding and refreshing.

2 Likes

Mostly play in Dadgad and open D, they are only a semi tone apart on the 3rd but seem to suit quite different things to me. One scale I really enjoy in DADGAD is a Japanese pentatonic- 1,2,4,5,b6. The absence of the third gives it the flavour. 1,b2,3,4,5,b6,b7 is cool Arabic type scale.

1 Like