The Guitar Thread

https://www.daddario.com/products/accessories/humidification/automatic-humidipak/

These work very well for acoustics.

2 Likes

Hey yā€™allā€” Iā€™m In The market for a simple modulation multi-effects pedal primarily for my guitar and synth (and occasionally bass and drum machines). Iā€™m considering between a boss md-200 and the wampler terra formā€¦anybody have any experience with these?

The effects iā€™m most interested in are phaser, envelope filter, and chorus (although I would use uni-vibe and rotary speaker fx sometimes too.). Am I better off getting a boss CE-2W, and mxr phaser, and a Q-tron?

Any other multi-fx pedals anybody else would suggest in this general price range?

I havenā€™t owned those specific pedals, but I did once have a Strymon Mƶbius, which does all of those effects, but ultimately found I preferred individual pedals.

That has a lot to do with the menu diving though. The new Walrus Audio M1 looks pretty neat, and might not be that different price wise to buying all the individual pedals, and could be worth looking at. It also has stereo in/out, which would be good for synths and drum machines.

2 Likes

Not bitter cold here, but cold enough. I pulled a Takamine out of the closet that had been there for about 3 years, untouched and in the case. It now has a crack in the finish on the front that was not there when I put it away. Never had one do that before.

Sorry to hear that, my baby Taylor top split. It was painful, loved that guitar.

Yikes, yeah hopefully itā€™s just checking on the finish and not a full crack. One piece of ā€œgoodā€ news about dry humidity and cracked tops is that they often make guitars louder. Maybe not better, but louder :smiley:

1 Like

Russian Tubes ( or Valves )

So I read an interesting article about EHX putting vacuum tube orders on hold.

EHX said that because ā€œRussia imposed a ban on the export of some 200 goods ā€¦ we will not honor any new orders or ship any more Russian tubes on back order.ā€

There seems likely be a similar pause coming for some tube based guitar amps and such gear, as well as for replacement tubes.

EHX of course owns a tube manufacturing company in Russia, which they rebrand with a variety of names.

The GearNews article :

This post isnā€™t permission to go off-topic in this thread ā€” by the way.

3 Likes

Yeah. I hadnā€™t seen that but I had assumed that was the case. Iā€™m glad I donā€™t need to retube anything of mine right now. Russia is a major manufacturer of tubes and this was pretty much inevitable. I replaced a couple of 6l6s for a guy shortly before the invasion and was taken aback by the cost, I bet thatā€™s about to get a lot worse. Time to take a serious look at jfet based amps.

3 Likes

Iā€™m about to sell my hand-wired Princeton Reverb. Maybe I should hold off. Or sell the tubes one by one :slight_smile:

1 Like

There are also some tube manufacturers in China and Slovakia ( specifically JJ Electronics in Slovakia ).

1 Like

I added a black DIG and a black Mobius to my studio board

8 Likes

I also put together a ā€œblackoutā€ board with most of my black pedals just for fun.

5 Likes

I posted a while back here about getting one of the ā€œhigh endā€ (~$350ish) Harley Benton models for a mod platform, and hereā€™s the final result:

• Wilkinson Trem => VegaTrem
  • Roswell LAF Pickups => Fishman Fluence Classic Humbuckers
  • Graphtec string trees

I shopped used for the upgrades, so the overall price for the guitar is still well under $1k and Iā€™m really happy with the result. This is actually my first set of active pickups, but since the Fluences have three ā€œvoicesā€ I can switch between (itā€™s wired with two push-pull pots), I can have a total of 12 different tonal options, including mixtures of the two pickups when in the middle position on the pickup selector. Iā€™ve been really interested in them for a while and finally just decided to go for it.

I made a small recording trying to demo all the voice options that the pickups have ā€“ maybe itā€™s just me wanting to hear the differences, but to me they all sound really distinct!

8 Likes

Did anyone over here ever try an earth gw2 guitar? Itā€™s a travelling headless guitar.

Despite its weird shape (not a bigfan), it seems to get amazing reviews.
Iā€™m a huge sucker for light and small guitars although they generally donā€™t come as quality ones and are generally considered as toys instead of good instruments with a smaller footprint.

I saw an ad for Joe Goreā€™s new book The Subversive Guitarist. Then I realized a lot of the book material was published for free here. Itā€™s not even clear if the book has all the video and audio examples that were published online.

Some lessons are accessible to just about any guitarist, like this vibrato one - a very thorough one at that

3 Likes

Thatā€™s neat, but Iā€™m happy to buy the book to have it all in one place.

In fact, this column makes me more likely to buy the book, as I can check out the kind of stuff thatā€™s in it. The ebook has a pretty short sample.

1 Like

Joe Gore is awesome. I put his name in the search bar and there are a ton of articles from him I want to read. Thanks for the tip!

1 Like

I missed this line from Amazonā€™s description:

This book includes hundreds of examples (with tab and audio)

Iā€™ll probably order the book eventually. Just not right now. I can only study so many subjects at once.

1 Like

John Petrucci of Dream Theater and EVH are major inspirations for me in rock/metal guitar.
I love playing old thrash metal songs and solos on my Jackson custom guitar and learning 7 string guitar now. Started few years ago with some lessons then learn from videos, jams and tab books.

I have a Bogner Uberschall amp with Uberkab and Mezzabarba MZero amp and cab. Love these amps and can do anything from hardcore metal to blues and jazz. Also love pedals and FX and use a bunch like echo/delay/reverb, compression and clean boost.

I bought a house to be able to enjoy my tube amps after almost being evicted twice from apartments. Oh vey! People do not appreciate guitar!

Guitar is a raw, pure and visceral joy for me. The closest feeling to it with synthesizers is when I dove deep down the Eurorack modular hole of patch madness. Now I love guitar and modular synths the most as my Elektron gear collects dust.

2 Likes