The GGOAT (greatest gear of all time)

It’s been only one week owning it but I gotta say Novation Peak (previously own a Novation K Station for 18 years).

3 Likes

I’m gonna have to say Digitakt. As it’s the one piece I’ve never sold.

Also Machinedrum. How could I forget?

Other mentions:

Bell kit
Melodica
Renoise
Vibraphone- never owned
Fender Jazz Bass

3 Likes

And Machinedrum.

2 Likes

love threads like this when you see gear you never heard of or better still you have in a box somewhere but never appreciated!

2 Likes

My other choices (aside from my amazing drumkit)

Octatrack
Lyra 8
Digitone
MS20
Monotribe

3 Likes

When I read the title of the thread I thought for a moment we’re looking for the Greatest Goat of all time :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

In Quebec, Canada, you call this goat Biquette.

4 Likes

…that i still own:

1. Monomachine

2. Machinedrum

3. Octatrack

4. Analog Heat

2 Likes

well… you had me until you said “double kick pedal.”

worst. musical invention. ever.

2 Likes

I can help with that…

Summary

the one and only:

On 16 June 2006,[13] a parade was held to celebrate Queen Elizabeth II’s 80th birthday, at the Episkopi base near Limassol, Cyprus on the Mediterranean island’s south coast.[10] Invited dignitaries included the ambassadors of Spain, the Netherlands and Sweden and the Argentine commander of United Nations’ forces on Cyprus.[16]

The deployment to Cyprus with the 1st Battalion was Billy’s first overseas posting, and despite being ordered to keep in line, he refused to obey.[13] He failed to keep in step,[16] and tried to headbutt a drummer.[17] The goat major, Lance Corporal Dai Davies, 22, from Neath, South Wales, was unable to keep him under control.[16]

Billy was charged with “unacceptable behaviour”,[10] “lack of decorum” and “disobeying a direct order”,[16] and had to appear before his commanding officer, Lieutenant-Colonel Huw James.[10][18] Following a disciplinary hearing, he was demoted to fusilier.[1][16] The change meant that other fusiliers in the regiment no longer had to stand to attention when Billy walked past, as they had to when he was a lance corporal.[13]

5 Likes

Digitone
Digitakt
MPC Live
Roland MC-101

I feel I need to explain the last one a bit, as I find it overlooked and underrated. I only use the MC-101 as a sound module, I don’t use it’s sequencer, as I sequence from the digitone. It’s absolutely perfect to pair with a digitone. All 4 tracks are controlled by Digitones 4 midi tracks. The 101 comes with an insane library of sounds, something like 3,000-4,000 presets to start from. And most of them really do sound fantastic. Also, I can use USB audio out to get all tracks individually into Ableton similar to Overbridge. I get faders, knobs, and tons of fx. Lastly, with the latest update for the MC-101, you can install sound packs which sound insanely good and only cost $0.99 each. When looking at it as a battery powered little groovebox, it might seem expensive and not super exciting. But when used as a sound module paired with other gear, it’s a fantastic value.

12 Likes

What’s the 101 sound library like? I imagine it has your bread n butter synth + drum sounds but is there anything a bit weirder, like retro samples from the JV era, choirs, janky acoustic instruments etc?

• Axoloti. this is the only critical and indispensable part of my rig at the moment. fun fact: i use them only for MIDI processing. but i don’t know any other platform that would allow me to do all those things with my very basic and limited knowledge of C.

• Launchpad Pro (prev. gen.) ultra-portable input surface that can be anything and fits any moderate size backpack.
    in particular, i use it for live drum parts.

(here’s my custom note layout powered by Axoloti — something inbetween scale mode, guitar fretboard and drum pad : )

• Yamaha DTXpress III (upgraded). i intentionally bought e-drums since i always wanted my parts to to sound like early Einstürzende Neubauten, but preferred (simpler) FM synth approach to real objects (that require much more effort for recording).
    so, used this drumkit as a human input interface to a bunch of Dexed instances, and later to a preenFM2 (with modified 8-timbral version of firmware).
    also, it’s perfectly usable with zero attached pads and controllers, just as MIDI-controlled sound module (unlike the vast majority of modern trigger modules that omit MIDI i/o ports).

• Roland HandSonic HPD-15. my favorite „real“ instrument at the moment. much more fun to play live drum parts than Launchpad Pro, still more or less portable, can be used at the gigs/venues where there’s no space for real drumkit (even e-drums).

• Squarp Pyramid. the right sequencer.

• Roland MC-707. a properly made multitimbral synth / drum machine / groovebox.
    (i don’t use sampling, looping, beat slicing and all that stuff, so don’t care about it.)

• E-Mu Command Station. like MC-707, but from earlier era.

• Novation Circuit Mono Station. analog mono synth with a proper user interface.

• Zoom LiveTrak series. i own L-12 and planning to buy L-8 for gigs. i know that nowadays a proper producer has to use a DAW with 200+ tracks and not less than a dozen of plugins stacked on every track and then every bus — but i’m old school, and the possibility of recording every rehearsal/jam/gig in multitrack by just one button press is priceless for me.

5 Likes

yes, two single pedals are better.

but in e-drums, the extra pad with second pedal occupies an extra input, which is sometimes undesirable.

:pray::pray::pray::joy:

1 Like

I’m rather new in this business so I don’t have allot of experience with gear. But here are my current favorites

Octatrack MK2: Nothing to explain here. Apart from the fact that MK2 is so much more enjoyable than MK1. I know the internals are the same. But the machine is just so much more enjoyable with the new dedicated shortcut buttons, better screen, and the built in LEDs on the buttons are amazing. Love the fact that you can now easily play it in the dark without guessing where everything is.

Machinedrum + Analog Heat: In my opinion these two are like a match made in heaven. Machinedrum was starting to sound a bit dated to me, to some degree. But through the Heat it’s just amazing. Don’t know what it is, but there is dome digital harshness to the MD, which sounds phenomenal when distorted by the Heat! I also use the Heat extensively on synth sounds, and as a send and return on the OT. The possibility to easily sync the LFO of the Heat to beat has produced some really interesting results. Especially when doing offbeat syncing to create polyrhythmic textures.

Waldorf Blofeld: Haven’t seen this one on this list I think. But for the money, the sound you can get from this is just phenomenal. Especially if you invest in the custom sample loading upgrade, and buy some presets online. And the number of voices on this thing is huge (compared to most analog synths at least). With a good preset, and some clever effect chaining (though Eventide Space and Analog Heat f.x.), this box can become a one-note-Hanz-Zimmer soundtrack. Press one note and you got a song… almost :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Nord Modular G2 : it’s the craziest piece of gear ever made. If it could sample (well, it can, but I mean play samples) I would be able to use it exclusively.

4 Likes

Nord G2
OT
OP-1
MC202

1 Like

No one? Moog sub 37 and Roland jv1080…
I r e p l a c e a b l e… … …

2 Likes

Interesting!!

1 Like