The GGOAT (greatest gear of all time)

Over the years I’ve used a lot of gear, some kept, some sold, some missed, some not.

Some of the gear made a huge impression or changed my workflow or just sounded so great or was such a joy to use. (aka sweet zone)

Some gear might have been otherwise amazing but a bit obtuse or flawed, yet still really great. (aka flawed genius)

Some of the gear might have been great to get started, but was outgrown or “superseded”.
(aka teeth cutter)

The main thing being the inspiration and use it gives/gave, need not be “pro” level gear.

I think it would be interesting to read other peoples too, so if you feel like it post yours.

Here are 13 of mine (no particular order) for now, I’ll add some more later.

1. Octatrack MKII - obviously, the MKI is flawed genius too, but MKII optimises as best as realistic the button combos of the MKI. Unparalleled sample mangling, and flexibility, amazing for reworking loops, incredible filter, scenes/xfader, brilliant arranger, the list goes on.

2. Analog Keys - the A4 is great, and would make the list too, but AK takes it up a notch, the keyboard integration is excellent. Superb CV implementation, tons of mod sources and destinations, per step instant analog sound changes, a dream to me.

3. Roland TR-606 - the runt of the analog Roland x0x litter to some, but not to me, operationally the ability to jump in and out of editing without stopping was a trick its more prestigious siblings never had. The sounds whilst fixed (kind of) are just so nice. 2 trigger outs where others had 1.

4. Roland SH-01a - Arguably better than the SH-101, which is saying something, the unison, poly mode, better sequencer, full midi CC, compact size, and of course amazing sound mean that I don’t need a SH-101 anymore. The smaller sliders are a slight disappointment but overall are not too much of an issue given the many enhancements over the original.

5. Synthstrom Deluge - A bit of a love/hate at times, but I recognise greatness when I see it, and there is so much greatness within its diminutive frame. I’ll say that for me it’s key areas are the sequencer/song mode/arranger and sample playback more so than the synth engine which is a bit lacking in a few areas for me, good but could be better.

6. Roland TB-303 - I grew up with it, the sound/sequencer integration is special, famous for acid of course, but capable of nice muted bass/lead duties too, and arguably one of the most or if not the most important synths of all time. I always find it a joy to use, the sequencer is brilliant with its separation of time, pitch and articulation, some hate it :laughing:

7. Teenage Engineering OP-1 - The 4 track tape with its associated editing, bouncing, integration with sequencers and tape tricks (built in and user) make it unique and special. The drum sampler is great for chopping, some of the fx are very interesting, the various synth engines are from great to ok, the workflow is an open ended refreshing alternative to other gear, with enough scope for proper experimentation if desired.

8. Radio Shack/Tandy Reverb - First it isn’t a reverb at all, but a BBD based delay, second it has long throw sliders which make it great to play, third it can also be used as a distortion box. Cheap as chips back in the day, today it would be a boutique gem :laughing: I bought my first new, I probably had 5 over the years, I was delighted to recognise it on Mr Fingers records a few years after buying my first one. Lately they seem to have gone up a bit, but for £100 or so very much worth it. Bit noisy but made up for with the character it adds. Designed I believe by Paul of Synthtech

9. Analog Rytm MKII - The quick efficient sampling and CV inputs are killer features for me, 8 simultaneous samples, each with their own analog filter, and their own output, and start point modulation either sequenced or manually. Sleeper on those points alone IMHO. Add in the brilliant sequencer and analog engines (some excellent, some ok) and probably the greatest drum machine ever. I don’t feel I have scratched the surface yet, but it has sufficient depth for years of exploration.

10. Nanoloop Mono - Any nanoloop is great, but Mono is my favourite, somehow it manages to distill or at least evoke aspects of 303, Juno, 101, 808 and Sid type sounds into a small analog card which fits in a Gameboy DMG. Minimal 3 part synth and sequencing yet with enough sophistication to retain interest for the inventive. I have 3 carts of it.

11. Roland MV-30 - Possibly the first “Music Production” device that allowed whole tracks to be made, comprehensive sequencer, D-70/U-220 type sound engine, automated mixing. I made 100s of my own sounds for it, and tons of tracks on it.

12. Squarp Pyramid - A really great midi sequencer, a fairly unique approach and once learned some joyful instant and fast composing. Midi FX are very handy, definition files for gear, multiple sequencing methods, plenty of I/O including CV/Gate. A competent and complete set of tools for sequencing.

13. C&G Organelle M - Pure Data (of which I am very much a newb) made into a portable hardware instrument. The included patches are fun and mostly useful, plus there are lots of great community patches, so no real need to get into PD if you don’t want to. I intend to slowly build up my PD skills but am in no rush to do so yet thanks to the patches already available - everything from samplers, drum machines, sequencing, fx and more.

23 Likes

Digitone Keys!

First FM Synth that is as easy to use as a substractive Synth and makes FM so much easier to utilize.
Plus it offers masterkeyboard Features, great Sequencer and it Sounds awesome too!

13 Likes

For me as well, Digitone is missing in this list :tongue:
I just love how it does FM, and it recently became even better!

13 Likes

OT mk2.
MDuw mk2.
tb303.
DigitoNe.
Model:Cycles.
Dfam.
Subharmonicon.

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

The only piece of gear I own that I would never entertain selling is my Quadraverb, so I guess that’s my greatest piece of gear.
I doubt if I’d ever sell my Digitone, it’s pretty close to the Quadraverb in terms of greatness, will probably join it after a couple more years use.
I’m smashing the shit out of my DFAM at the minute, but I’ve only had it a few months so can’t yet speak to it’s greatness.

Of the gear I’ve never owned, the TR909 is probably the greatest, as it’s probably been used on at least 50% of the records I own. I just never get bored of how it sounds, which I guess is the mark of a great piece of gear.

5 Likes

:wink:

Safe to say some more Elektron gear will make my list. I didn’t want to write too much on first post (I failed :laughing:)

3 Likes

Just to say it could be software stuff too, need not be limited to hardware gear or even electronic gear.

2 Likes

Morning coffee reading… :coffee:

9 Likes

Of all the stuff I’ve bought and sold over the years probably only one item made me think “holy shit, only this could do what it does” and that’s the Octatrack. For that alone it’s iconic.

I’ve enjoyed every other bit of Elektron hardware (and other stuff of course) but I always thought I could just do it all ITB and replicate the vibes easily. Kind of takes the sheen of things when you start to think that way. Not so with the OT.

6 Likes

moog minitaur. one trick pony but its the greatest trick of all time.

5 Likes

This thing. Sleishman drums, Meinl hats, Avedis and Bosphorous rides. Without doubt the greatest musical instrument I have ever owned. Ok, its not the sonic wonderland of my sampler, or the fizzy love factory of any of my synths, but my god I will never tire of playing it. It sounds amazing, and feels amazing. The whole kit absolutley sings.

22 Likes

Hook us up with some Microtribe breakbeats for proof :laughing:

4 Likes

Analog Four mk2…with MK1 it was a Love / Hate relationship…Sold it three Times…but the MK2 will stay. Bigger Display!
And in general…even now with the latest OS Update that implements Midi Out for the Tracks, and Overbridge 2, it simply is a great Synth. Very versatile, and it constantly surprises with its excellent Sound!

4 Likes

For me the GOAT can only be the Octatrack. I’m only one year into electronic music (played in rock, metal and prog bands for 20 years though), and for the whole time the OT has been the center of my setup. Learning new things every week and falling deeper in love with it as I go.

Honorable mentions to DFAM, Lyra-8 and Machinedrum.

5 Likes

Never owned the original and never will, but the Roland TR-808 deserves a place on this list purely because of the amount of great tracks in has helped shape. I used to have the TR08, which was great, but ended up sampling all I needed from it and moving it on to a young Trap producer. I think I use its ‘cowbell’ in something like 50% of my tracks :sweat_smile:

Same thing for the Roland Juno 106. It’s loaded with sweet spots. I love my JU-06A

4 Likes

I have a lot of gear that I really love (I generally don’t buy anything without doing a ton of research first) but lately I’ve had some thoughts around what I’d do if I were to start all over again and I reckon I could make do with just 3 pieces of gear:

Motas-6: This is honestly the most inspiring piece of equipment I’ve owned, every time I program a patch on it I quickly just lose myself in creating and always end up making something fresh (to me) every time I use it. I originally wanted to potentially get into modular for making unique sounds and percussion and started of with getting an Ants! but quickly realised that a full modular set up definitely wasn’t for me as not being able to save your patches is frustrating and also I always found myself thinking “oh if only I had another VCA or ENV or LFO I could do___” and I can see how this is a rabbit hole leading to me never have any money ever again in my life. The Motas is pretty much the equivalent of a pretty well established modular set up to me I very rarely find myself wanting more and generally anything more I’ve wanted out of it, I’ve recommended it to the designer and within weeks he’s added it. The sound is great and it’s packed with many unique features. There’s plenty of things that can be done on the Motas that couldn’t be done anywhere else apart from a computer and then you’d be missing out on that lovely analog sound. I know it’ll be a lifetime before I’ve fully explored the potential of this thing.

SY77: Back when I was only using a computer for music I was a sucker for FM but eventually ended up deciding computers just aren’t for me and wanted FM in my set up, despite hardware FM having a rep for being a pain to program, I’ve found the interface of the SY77 very well thought out and it’s generally very quick to program. There’s a lot of unique features that even modern FM synths don’t have and it’s got a special character. I again find myself programming something unique every time I sit down with it.

Polyend tracker: I only got this the other day but it’s honestly blowing my mind! I can’t imagine my life without a sampler / sequencer and this does both very well, I can easily imagine myself just sampling a ton of sounds from the two above synths into this thing and easily being able to make complete and unique songs and the best thing is that I’ll be able to take it anywhere. I’m looking forward for lockdown stuff to chill out a bit so I can take it to the beach / forest / camping and sample things out and about.

I would never want to be without the rest of my studio now that I’ve got used to having it around but if I had to, I could definitely see myself being happy with just these 3 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

AR
A4/AK
DN
Toraiz AS-1 (and Prophet 6)
Ensoniq ESQ1
Korg Wavestation
Nord Lead/Rack 1 and 2
Moog DFAM
Moog Minitaur
E-Mu Emax/EIII
Grendel Drone Commander
Alesis Midiverb II
Ensoniq DP/4
Boss RV-5
FMR Audio RNC
Retro Mechanical Labs pedals

EDIT: how could I forget- TR-606/DR-110

4 Likes

Love it. I’m a drummer too , is that a bosphorus ride??

1 Like

Whoa dude I didn’t know you were a nanoloop mono user!

I’ll put the Mini-Korg 700 in for consideration, sounds so beautiful, unlike any other synth, and was influential for so many artists.

4 Likes

Furman M-8Lx. You have to protect all those GGOAT.

2 Likes