2 Likes

Still have that vid :laughing:

1 Like

And me somewhere, I think all my old stuff is in the garage in a plastic box

1 Like

This is 30 minutes too short

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AylkCpr7tF4

Damn… I woulda loved a copy of that! :flushed:

The links you’ve all shared are reminding me how good at mixing they are. They might be even better at mixing than they are composing. Everything sounds so complete, certain and solid, yet many of the tracks have a quirk, something odd that stands out, around which everything else must fit.

3 Likes

As a side note do you remember this vhs that came out around 92 with 3D glasses :laughing:image

1 Like

Yeah masters at putting bits and pieces together to form a complete track.

killer remix using the papua new guinea sample bank

1 Like

Crawler

Lifeforms

Flood of reflection

2 Likes

I had/have something similar, but the glasses were some kind of spectrum depth enhancer, they gave off all the edges in different colours and directions.
I’ll let the thought sink and retrieve the info…

Those were the days though man! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

The Lifeforms -> Dead Cities run was nothing short of spectacular IMO, but nothing quite does it for me like the original Cascade EP. Incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaPvh9dwdiI&list=PLlhnDdnS8HCu_HF2XH-JynXpXxcw3Pcq1

2 Likes
2 Likes

All those years reading Future Music and Computer Music magazine articles about them and I never got around to checking them out. I was into Massive Attack. So, as a newby, what album should I listen to first? Gonna peruse this thread now.

3 Likes

I remember hearing Cascade around the time of its initial release, in the chill out room of one of the first “raves” I ever went to. Mixmaster Morris played the back room all night, whilst… Atari Teenage Riot did a live show, and maybe Colin Favor played the main room. Some random one-off at Brighton Uni. I wasn’t even a student there. Probably wasn’t old enough to be allowed in.

Damn. I’m old. I promised myself never to be Andrew Lincoln’s character in Human Traffic “it was better in our day…”. So I won’t say that. I just have fond memories from “my day”.

2 Likes

I would start with Cascade Part 1, and if you like that then listen to ISDN or Lifeforms.

ISDN is a bit more raw and immediate; Lifeforms is more polished and expansive. Not all of their past work has aged well but listen to them all the way through! With FSOL albums the whole is greater than the sum of parts.

4 Likes

This brings back memories. Thanks!

2 Likes

I’ve got a bunch of FSOL postcards i’ll try to dig out and upload the images.

1 Like
2 Likes