The Elektron machines you have owned - rank them!

1. Analog Rytm mkI
  2. Analog Four mkI
  3. Octatrack mkI
  4. Analog Heat mkI
  5. Digitone (sold, not my cup of coffee)

if Elektron keeps me as a customer, an AR & A4 as mkIII versions maybe help, and any new Equipment from them must shoot me directly to the Andromeda galaxy

1 Like
  1. Monomachine. Annoyed the living piss out of housemates trying to sleep with those gloriously clacky buttons. Like playing an audio puzzle. Could do almost anything sonically, but needed to be approached at an oblique angle.

2. Digitone. Found the FM engine pretty characterless compared to the MNM or my other FM synths but for sheer functionality, especially in a live setting, it was superb.

3. A4. Limited in some ways, amazing in others. Nothing makes sweepy dub chords quite like it.

4. Machinedrum. Awesome machine but always sounded very “Machinedrummy” to me no matter what I did. That and the old sequencer limitations and PITA method of syncing it with Ableton let alone sample transfers…

5. Digitakt. Realised I’m just not a sample-mangling guy. Even with the 4 extra MIDI tracks, I still preferred the Digitone.

6. Octatrack. See above. Would have liked to learn it more and certainly will again one day.

1 Like

I’m gonna go with how fun they are to use, for me.

1. MD
  2. AR
  3. A4
  4. Octa
1 Like
  1. Analog rytm MK2. What a machine: a drum synth, monosynth, basic (but great sounding) sampler - and an overbridge mini-heat-master-output-analog-compression/distortion/overdrive-masterer-thing (which does a very nice clean boost). I love this thing, its simple, quick to use and central to everything I do.

2. Digitone. I love my DN, used alone since the day of release. I can’t seem to find a place for it currently with my setup as I find it a bit of lone wolf. Loaned to a mate.

3. Analog 4 MK1. My first ‘proper’ elektron. Pickled my head for 6 months before it clicked. Sorry I sold it.

4. Sidstation - owned 15 years ago, sold cos I was skint. Three note chords on that thing are amazing, crunchy and distorted. Wish I had one still.

5. Model cycles. Never properly clicked with it, although had a lot of fun for a month or two using it as a groove box. Never found a place for it in a larger setup (although this morning I did get it out of its box with the intention of trying again).

6. Octatrack MK1 - at the time I enjoyed it, but I guess like those leather saddles on fancy bikes, you don’t break it, it breaks you. Didn’t get to that stage so sold it to fund a digitakt.

7. Digitakt - owned twice and both times I could never get on with the workflow or how my music sounded with it, which is ridiculous considering I love the analog rytm.

8. Heat MK2. Used consistently on clean boost on my master output (also foolishly dabbled with the saturation and enhancement). Never learnt it properly and was slightly extravagant for a small setup like mine. Sold on to a fellow elektronaut, who’s making much better use of it than I ever did.

Would love to own a later model Machinedrum some day.

4 Likes
  1. OT mk I
    Best device ever made & could make music with just it.
  2. AH mk I
    Nice swiss army knife, not essential I guess but I do use it for all of my releases.
  3. A4
    Great synth but wasn’t a fan of the workflow. Still, unique and sounds great if you can get past the menu diving.
2 Likes
  1. AR mk1 (sold)
  2. Digitone (sold)
  3. A4 mk1 (sold)
  4. OT (sold)
2 Likes

im not so sure about this ranking anymore…

I deduce that i dont think i actually can rank them because i had a different understanding of synthesis and sampling while i had all of these machines.

i ranked the MnM for instance so low because i didnt understand it, i under appreciated it.
if i would have one now i would probably have utilized it alot better. but then again maybe the U.I would have annoyed me even more then it did back then.

1 Like
  1. M:S – It’s the only one I’ve ever owned, so it’s obviously the best one :stuck_out_tongue:.

In all seriousness, it’s a nice little sample player, and the immediate knob-per-function controls (especially Nudge/Swing!) have made it so easy to learn drum writing on. I have my gripes about it (stiff pads, no attack ctrls without giving up the LFO, conditional trigs make me wish for even more granular options like !3:4), but overall, would recommend if you don’t already have an Elektron sample box.

Fun fact: when I bought it, I gave myself a hard limit of 300 USD since I wasn’t sure I was going to like drum programming. This meant, in Apr 2021, the options I was considering were:

1. M:S
  2. Original (recently discontinued) Novation Circuit
  3. Volca Sample
  4. Somehow hunting down an Electribe 2S
  5. M:C (only so low because I was pretty set on wanting samples)

I think I made a good choice

Go on then, seeing how I’ve owned a few bits now.

1. Analog Heat MK2 - had one, loved it. Sold it to fund a Eurocrack habit, which I have now recovered from. Recently bought one off of @sid6581 and the hole in my heart is full of love once more.

2. Model:Cycles - I’ve owned two of these and even though I sold both of them, I’ll own another again soon no doubt. Absolutely ridiculous amount of power for £200.

3. Digitakt - Best sampler I ever owned. Massively regret selling it to “upgrade” to an OT. Will own another one one day.

4. Analog Four MK1 - Still learning it, so it will probably move up/down the list at some point. Deep, flexible and generally wonderful though. Still toying with trying out a MK2, we’ll see…

5. Digitone - Brilliant, easy to use, sent me down an FM rabbit hole, but sold it because DX7.

6. Analog Rytm MK2 - Jury still out on this one. Gonna give myself a few months with it before I pass judgement.

7. Octatrack MK2 - I’ll preface this by saying that it’s obviously an amazing piece of gear, but I just didn’t need the flexibility, so all of the associated complexity just pissed me off.

9 Likes
  1. Octatrack MK2

Was and still am not interested in any other Elektron, DN would be my first pick though.

Came for the sampler, ready for eternity.

Farmer update:
too much milk from the same cow makes you sick

2 Likes

Much like period properties, can only be grateful that the MD / MNM were ever created. If any of the other devices had their form and beauty, I think I’d have a larger stack of elektron gear than I currently do.

1 MD

2 MNM

3 A4

4 Cycles

6 RYTM

7 Digitone

8 Digitakt

9 OT

10 Samples

Feel bad putting the OT towards the bottom as it’s clearly a top tier device, just had it too early into my Elektron journey… one to try again in a year or two.

3 Likes

In order of liked the most to liked the least

1 Digitone
2 A4
3 OT
10 Monomachine

2 Likes

Revised ranking for me:

1. Digitone
    Elektrons best synth. Engine that’s simultaneously full of sweet spots yet very deep.

2. Octatrack.
    It took me a long time to figure out how to use it in ways I like. Now that I do I feel like I’m getting way more out of it than any of the other Elektron sampler/drum machines

3. Monomachine
    FX machines and routings make it so much fun. Early 2000s digital sound is nostalgic.

4. Model Cycles
    Not the deepest machine but love it for drum sounds.

5. Digitakt
    1.3 update is why its above the Rytm in my list now. Dead simple yet the depth of control and the speed of the LFOs make it great for sound design.

6. Rytm
    This used to top my list cause I really liked how much it could do in one device. I think the Digitakt is now the better device unless you absolutely love the analog drum sounds (which I was always a bit mixed on)

7. A4
    10 knobs is a bit much for each page. There’s also loads of pages. You can dive deep but it never really sounds that impressive to me. At it’s best as a processor for external gear, that’s where it can get really crazy.

Shadow realm. Machinedrum (non UW)
Sounds like absolute crap. Thank god other people like it so Elektron didn’t go under in 2003.

1 Like
  1. Digitakt
  2. Digitone
  3. Model: Cycles
  4. Model: Samples

I liked the Model: Samples for what it was but it became redundant when I got the Digitakt. I mostly just program whole beats so all the extra knobs and pads didn’t really add anything when I had both of them. I miss the velocity modulation though. And it does have a special place in my heart since it was my first Elektron box. I would have never picked up a Digitakt if I didn’t start here.

I liked the Model: Cycles a lot and I almost regret selling it. I assumed that just because the Digitone is more capable on paper than the Cycles that it would be the same story as the Samples and the Digitakt. That was wrong. It’s definitely it’s own thing. And it would be fun to have one again. That said, I sold the Models to fund the Circuit Rhythm and I’ve enjoyed the hell out of that.

The Digitone is great. I completely underutilize it. I only kind of understand how to use one of the algorithms. I also couldn’t have made a lot of the tracks that I’m most proud of without it. I still really need to take some time and set everything else to the side to really get to know it.

The Digitakt is by far my favorite piece of gear and it’s not close. Like Eaves, it really turned things around for me. I’ve made more music than at any other time in my life and I don’t think I’ve ever sounded better than I do now. And even the limitations are fun because they wind up being little puzzles to solve when I’m not really coming up with new music.

I still want to try the A4 and the Octatrack but sadly I have no money.

4 Likes

Octatrack,
Machinedrum,
Digitone,
Digitakt.

Id really like to give an A4 a go sometime. Or a Monomachine…I cant justify get either at this time though

Digitakt
My second Elektron and my favorite. The Digitakt really opened up ‘hardware’ for me. It’s just a little powerhouse that has taken the central spot for me. For me everything starts with the DT and I really can’t imagine not having it.

Model: Cycles
I bought this as my first real synth. I honestly had no idea what to expect. Naturally I watched tons of YouTube videos before purchasing it, but still, it was magical to be able to make music so directly and so differently than just sitting behind my computer. I got ‘bored’ with the Cycles after some months though, especially after I got my Digitakt.

Now I’m using them together I’ve grown a new appreciation for its unique and crystal sound though. It’s really a beautiful little machine I hope I can hold on to forever.

Wishlist:
To be honest in terms of Elektron I’m only really interested in the DN. I feel like it holds so many sweet sounds. If I get a hold of some money it’s either the DN or a Subharmonicon :slight_smile:

3 Likes

1 Monomachine (sold it - without profit!, because I don’t want to fiddle with old electronics. they go mad if old…)

2 Octatrack (sometimes i want to throw it out of the window, but i love the versatility!)

3 Digitakt (songmode :frowning: )

3 Digitone (clicks and limited voice count made me sell it. If it had 32 voices and 6 tracks: perfect. But no, there is no songmode :frowning: )

Last two is only my problem… Those two are great, but not for me exactly.

1 Like
  1. Digitakt, I’ll always come back to DT… its core has so little in the way of making music for me. Its number 1 by a long shot. Great for sequencing other gear with program changes as such.

2. M:C it’s weird and fun and fast, it is kind of an odd one. Feels like you have to hack the machine to get the most out of it.

3. Analog 4 MK1 honestly this one easily could be above M:C if I didn’t alway use the DT, just find the workflow a little cumbersome when I am using more elektrons at once. I got it dirt cheap and I’ve kept it around though, figure I’ll eventually want to atleast use it for CV stuff.

2 Likes

1 - Digitakt : this is the best piece of gear I ever owned. Very inspiring instrument and the best sampler/drum machine I had the occasion to try. It’s so quick to lay down beats with it, can sample over usb, size is just perfect to put in a backpack, and it has overdridge!
As @Doug and @Eaves, the DT drasticly improved my creativity and productivity. I make more beats than ever since I have it.

1. Model:samples : my first Elektron, it took me back to the dawless game after years on the computer (I sold all the groovebox I had when I went on Maschine 8 years ago), and I don’t plan to return in the box now! I dicovered the elektron sequencer worflow on it, and a few month later I sold it to fund a DT, sometimes I regret to not keeping it as a travel/jam groovebox. But i know I will have used it very little since the DT is enough for me.

2. Digitone : I purchased it 4 days ago so it’s to soon to give my statment about it. I always wonder how I will incorporate it to my worflow. I Like the bass sounds you can make with, and will try to get deeper on the drums making capabilities.

1 Like

Digitakt aka- god

model samples x2 aka- Michael and Gabriel

model cycles aka- Cyclops

4 Likes