The Elektron Feedback Loop April 2023 : Software

This landed in my inbox this morning - took the opportunity to toot my own horn with regard to DigiChain :upside_down_face:

12 Likes

A lot of questions on mixing and mastering in there though, so may be we will see a new more general Overbridge plugin that ties the others together for mixing/mastering ?

2 Likes

What are the questions? I didn’t get it for some reason

Asking what software I use and what I’d like to see from Elektron, and then stuff about mixing mastering and how much time I spend doing that side of stuff.

I think it’s based of answers to the last feedback loop if you get one or not.

First of all, thanks for participating in our previous Feedback Loop! You are receiving this new survey because your answers in our last survey indicated that you might have an interest in computer software for making music. You also kindly agreed to be contacted again for further questions.

I been ghosted by elektron.

only got the very first survey. swiftly kicked to the kerb after that 🥲

Ah. I may not get this one, then. I was really clear that I didn’t want much to do with software.

I live in fear that Elektron will get closer and closer to having DRM and/or regular network connections available to their hardware and I strongly don’t want them to go that way. I was pretty impressed with way they did the recent 3rd party sample store integration, however.

2 Likes

Yeah, I do want to use Elektron software but I didn’t want them to think I was comfortable with subscription models, so in the first survey I may have indicated I wasn’t totally interested. Just so they don’t get the wrong idea. But I’m pretty sure I said I still would be interested in VSTs, so interesting that I didn’t get this

Soooooo, I didn’t get this survey, but I can say a bit about software.

In my opinion, Elektron should absolutely up their UI game for Overbridge. A lot is unfortunately left to be desired when it comes to animation translation between hardware and computer.

On the hardware, you can’t visually see what the LFO waveform is doing, only imagine it. On Overbridge you can see it somewhat, but not everywhere. I’m not sure how much of this has been reported to support, but since I’d imagine most folks use Overbridge primarily for recording multi track audio and maybe skip the UI entirely, maybe not a lot.

Here is an example of a visual element that exists on the Digitakt and Digitone LFOs, but doesn’t exist on the Syntakt for whatever reason:

By the way, this element also doesn’t seem to exist when using the RANDOM waveform. Not sure why there is inconsistency there,

Another example of subpar UI are the OB Syntakt menus. The hardware has animations for parameters, and many of these aren’t just for show/eyecandy. The chords machine has waveforms as a parameter, and these give what I interpret as fairly accurate shapes for the waveform. For example I will use that animation as an indicator for when I am looking to do a saw wave on SY CHORD.

Example of hardware:

And the same thing on the software side that says literally nothing:

This is true of many parameters. A great example of visual UI feedback in Overbridge is the Digitakt sample page, which shows where and how the sample is playing. I hope that we can see the same level of quality in other areas over time. The Digitone arp designer doesn’t exist at all on Overbridge as far as I know, and I think this is one of those things that could be easier to do on the computer vs on hardware.

Another common feature of hardware, at least for me, is using FUNC + PARAMETER to quickly move to the pre-loaded sweet spots. I also don’t think this exists in Overbridge, where I imagine I would hold a key and use my mouse wheel to move to said values.

1 Like

I will let Brian helm the ship, I wouldn’t have the right answers anyways.

One thing that I’d love to see is a standalone plugin for the digiboxes so that you can make Syntakt or digitone tracks while you’re travelling and them port to your device when you’re home. Or the other way around: Put all of your syntakt patterns in Ableton so that you can further tweak them directly in Ableton whenever you feel like it.

1 Like

They just need to make the hardware overbridge mixer already :crazy_face:

2 Likes