The Digitakt Wonder: appreciation thread

Apple and oranges really. Though with the DT you don’t have to worry about cf card pins breaking :sweat_smile:

Also fader boxes :sunglasses:

Have you ever removed yours? Mine was always plucked in - there was never a reason to remove it! 16 GB was more i ever needed :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m considering grabbing one at some point to combo with my OT. 8 extra sample/midi tracks in my setup would be sweet. Part of me says a 2nd used OT would be a better move but conditional trigs and the other stuff DT does that OT doesn’t make it feel like it’d be more fun/inspiring to grab DT and add something new.

3 Likes

That’s sweet that people are finding it easier :slight_smile: Seems to be laid out exactly as a lot of people wanted :slight_smile:

A lot of misinformation already out there re OT tho, prob best not to add to that :wink: You don’t need to do anything prior to sampling and you don’t need to be in Flex mode or have Rec buffer assigned to a track etc to edit or hear what you sampled. Rec buffers are totally separate. Sample via button Shortcut. Edit via button Shortcut. No need for things to be as complicated as you make out :wink:

Can you imagine if the OT had been capable of cross fader midi scenes?! Coupling an OT and DT together would be one hell of a combo had that been possible. Still make a great combo though IMO. I always thought you’d need to be like an octopus to manage two OT’s simultaneously!

2 Likes

Haha :slight_smile: I learned recently you can midi loopback and automate/p-lock the scene fader from an OT midi track. So you could have one OT on autopilot and jam the fader on the other :wink: only semi-octopous skills required :wink: But DT + OT looks great combo. The cond trigs, convenient granular, lfo on sample slots, new filter/drive, all looks fun :slight_smile:

Half of me still says grab an mpc Live but there are some big holes in it atm and started to feel like the new Beatmaker 3 app on ipad is almost identical, more powerful in some ways and a fraction of the price, even after buying dedicated pads/interface :wink:

1 Like

I demoed the MPC Live briefly and it just feels like a DAW with a touch screen. I can’t see myself really ‘jamming’ on the machine.

Whereas with the Digitakt… I’m having loads of fun just getting CTL-ALL -> Reload pattern and various other performance tricks committed to memory.

Once MIDI stabilizes, I’m hoping to get cooking with that controlling the audio tracks. The Digitakt will probably mostly be a part of a larger setup, where the MIDI tracks aren’t needed as much, but as a standalone groovebox, I can see MIDI loopback adding a lot of depth to the machine. (This routing could also be done internally… wink wink nudge nudge Elektronians)

I really hope they streamline sampling so that sampling stuff in time with sequences and dynamically assigning them to pads becomes as easy as possible. I think that kind of fluid workflow is at the heart of why Digitakt is so great for me. Still a bit to go with the firmware, but I really really hope they grab some of these low-hanging fruits that would elevate it so much.

Most of my hopes for features are really simple – soloing, MIDI-controlled sampling, smarter mute modes… Which bodes kinda well for actually getting them implemented some time in the future :slight_smile:

Yeah, in a word – I’m excited to see what is coming.

4 Likes

The DT buttons are so wonderful, at least to me. I can’t get over how much I love them.

2 Likes

Sorry mate, I love the look of the DT and the fact its so compact. Have fun!

I’m having a blast. And there’s so much more to explore! I’ve done some sequencing of an external synth (Micromonsta), but just sending basic chords and using its arp – no crashes, works great. This weekend I’m planning on reorganising my desk and getting the MIDI sorted out properly so I can hook up my controller keyboard too, and also get the DT sending CCs to the Micromonsta.

And the sampler workflow is brilliant. Loving being able to quickly grab stuff off my phone and then mangle it in my track so fast.

Let’s be honest, there are far more places sampling can go wrong on the OT Vs the DT. Sampling from the wrong input, having the wrong rec mode (ONE/ONE2/etc), forgetting to wipe a rec trig, having a rec buffer assigned to a flex machine then accidentally overwriting it, forgetting whether that sample you saved is in the audio pool or the project file…

Let’s not pretend all this annoying shit doesn’t happen to every OT user at some point. All that flexibility has a cognitive price tag.

4 Likes

Didn’t really wanna get in to a debate on it, I’ve been in too many on here lately!

But my point is for ‘simple’ sampling a la DT, as in record, edit, save, assign. It’s basically the same from what I’ve seen? You have to choose between input/resample etc on DT too I think right? So on OT if you literally only use one set of inputs (‘Rec a/b’ for sake of argument) , standard start/stop sampling, don’t assign buffers to audio tracks etc, it’s the same simplicity?

The OT options/confusion only really come in to play if you dig in to the flexible side of things :wink: And yeah, I’ve definitly confused myself in that hall of mirrors before too :wink: But it’s a very cool fairground to be lost in once you have it sunk in to your thinking/project template :wink:

Edit - I’m not saying any of this as a negative on DT. I’m probably interested to grab one at some point. I just don’t see ‘fast/simple’ sampling as one of the great things/USP about it :wink:

Oh yes. Picked up my Octatrack last month after not touching it for a year or more (it had a busted button which got fixed) and I made so many schoolboy errors. I was streaming on Instagram as well :rolling_eyes:

Haha, yeah OT’s a lot to take in at first :wink: But in theory you could easily self-cripple it, ignore a bunch of the manual/features and be at where DT is re the sampling process ;).

Silly point to argue I guess really tho, obvs people’s issues with sampling on OT genuinely exist so it’s just each to their own :slight_smile:

When I was using the OT almost everyday it wasn’t a problem. But my Octa-Fu isn’t as strong as it used to be. Have to get back in the saddle :wink:

2 Likes

I think it’s the easy sample trimming and very quick saving/track assignments too. Not just the actual act of recording. For me anyway, as a one time Octatrack owner who sold it thinking ‘I will never have time to learn this properly’.

its my first “real” hardware (drum) sampler and also my first Elektron product.

I could already tell that it will bring so much valuable hands-on workflow to my music creation process, after watching the first Superbooth demos.

It has not disappointed me at all so far - totally loving the user experience and it has increased my productivity a lot. Its just a lot of fun to make beats on the Digi :slight_smile:

if the firmware is beeing improved over the next weeks and i assume that it will be, i am super satisfied :wink:

3 Likes

This is the positive DT thread, there are others for the general/critical slant … let’s keep it on topic, presumably mainly for owners, otherwise we will be obliged to merge them as they’ll all just be versions of the same conversation … this is a place to escape the other stuff and keep the early days’ DT joys to the fore :thup:

10 Likes

Looks like an almost identical process to me? Guess something you need to be hands on to really feel the improvement/simplification in workflow.

Not trying to knock it or argue, my question came from a genuine place of intrigue, thanks for the answers :slight_smile:

Was just asking for further description of the joy :wink:

1 Like