The Digitakt Wonder: appreciation thread

Just got the DT (well, will arrive begginning of December, thx again @jcavell!) to free up the OT tracks and still got some sampling at hand.

Q: Is transferring samples from DT to a computer already a thing?

I hoped the beginning of the “COVID lockdown” would precede an unstoppable tsunami of tracks… a gushing, geyser of dynamism and creativity what with all the extra time at home.

Wrong: until yesterday I hadn’t touched my music gear for over four months. It turns out, remotely doing your day job slouched in your studio all day every day while a sense of futility and dread wraps around your head like an ice cold towel does not maketh the juices floweth.

So, this weekend I decided to dust off the Digitakt, put 1.20A on it, and pull it away from the rest of my gear for a holiday by the coast.

BLOODY HELL WHAT A THING!

There are so many threads here about tech issues and so on, but I’m here to say: this little black box is such a beast. You need to get some muscle memory going, but I can’t think of any system that would better enable a rhythmic idea to turn into something better in reality than the idea in such a short time. It’s so fun!

I love how good the factory samples are. What do you like about your Digitakt?

9 Likes

I actually got started making music with modular and a monosynth. It is a very weird way to get started but the modular thing really struck me. It is really incredibly fun and the openness is very alluring.

I got the Digitakt a few months ago and it has really opened up the modular. Being able to come up with a cool sound, sample a one shot, and do that 8 times for different sounds. It is really incredible. I also find the filter to be pretty good, and gives enough performance capability to get good variation in your samples throughout a song.

The sequencing is really incredible also. I previously had a beat step pro that I was sequencing my modular with, which worked well, but is somewhat low on features while focusing on immediate control that I found I didn’t use that much. Having access to per step automation, trig conditions, and unquantized recording really gives lots of possibilities. The only issue is the timing in modular can be a little weird. Sometimes you have to delay your gate signal by a few ms for the midi cc automation to catch up.

I also really like using it as a usb audio interface with my computer. I often use my computer through my Digitakt. If I hear anything interesting or worth sampling I can just press record in the Digitakt. Makes finding samples a bit easier.

4 Likes

I sampled over 130 percussion hits from modular into my DT yesterday., I feel I need to hire some sort of armed guard to protect it now.

It’s handy that I can just transfer those anywhere via usb as well. Would have been nice to have MicroSD.

1 Like

I just joined this unholy circle.

32 Likes

Hell yeah…
Pretty awesome instrument, right? I absolutely love mine

2 Likes

Yes! Today i stumbled upon the toolbox with the waves, and using it as multiple mono synths is pretty rad, too :wink:

like, bassdrum is square wave with pitch and filter envelope.
@Fin25 you might dig my little tune.

19 Likes

In another, much better simulation, you’re doing all the product demos.

5 Likes

Very happy you now have a DT :slight_smile:

Mangling samples is such a great way to make cool noise.
That YT video was awesome!
I think you did more with the DT in a few days than I did with it in a full year :slight_smile:

1 Like

Awwww, thank you both! I just played around with wavetables i, though i did not “properly” loop them, i like the result (presumably better :stuck_out_tongue: ):

12 Likes

I like this!

1 Like

Thanks! Two more jams today, again using the Digitakt as “”“virtual analogue”"", digital and wavetable synth. Somehow everytime it get’s more mean :stuck_out_tongue:

tried internal resampling (if that’s the correct term) on this one:

and yes. makeup gain was set to 7293489283616

18 Likes

Nice.

1 Like

Badass!

1 Like

great stuff :fire:

1 Like

scared the hell out of my cat. these are ill!

1 Like

acid jam … and now it’s time for packing and off to home to unite my Digitakt with my Syntakt :wink:

11 Likes

Solid Acid Track well done!

1 Like

My (love) story with DT:
I purchased my first unit in 2017, knowing nothing about samples and sampling, thinking it was simply a digital drum machine. After a short honeymoon I sold it to finance some other stuff. I wasn’t ready to appreciate its wonders.
I purchased my second (and current) unit in 2020, being well aware about its nature of a samples-based instrument. It opened my eyes on the world of collecting and mangling samples. It was a brand new world for me, being used to play just subtractive synthesis based hardware. This time we had a longer honeymoon, but after two years I understood that samples truly doesn’t click with me. Playing samples it’s not my workflow, it’s not inspiring for me, doesn’t make me go straight were I want to go in music. So I decided to sell my DT another time. But past week a simple idea pop up in my mind: single cycle waves. I can use single cicle waves to transform DT into a powerful eight tracks virtual analog synth. And here I am: it works a lot!!! Today I synthesized kick drum, snare and hats starting from a sine wave and some noise, with the same workflow of my analog eurorack system and with the same results! Having on the top the wonderful Elektron sequencer, compressor etc…
Now DT is my preferred toy and we are in the middle of our thirth honeymoon.
What a hell of a fucking amazing, deep and versatile musical instrument !!!
Moral of the story is never sell your DT, think lateral and believe it: if love freezes it’s not DT, it’s you :slightly_smiling_face:

10 Likes

Yeah, when I bought it, I bought it just as a sampler. I didn’t check the presets and almost deleted the factory samples. Glad I did not … when I found the toolbox folder, my mind was blown! :wink:

… I just got carried away a bit:

6 Likes