The Clone War - Behringer. Good or Bad?

Again, not their operation. For example, they used Émilie Gillet’s code that was open sourced so they wouldn’t have to develop a digital synth themselves.

1 Like

Not true.

Plaits is Brains is Plaits, facts are not controversial? They will choose the options that require minimal reimplementation.

When I was commenting here, I totally missed that B* are actually cloning the PPG Wave. Omg. Lol.

Did they get the original schematics or contact with the original developers? Or do they actually reverse-engineer the engine?

update: yes, but differently
https://www.facebook.com/behringer/posts/10158723449008914

I’m starting to feel like Behringer is closing an era and isn’t aware their part of it. After most hardware got emulated in software more people grabbing back to hardware . If they continue like this and every machine that meant something and influenced electronic music from it’s early birth is available to the masses in a affordable and .
mint condition …
the circle is closed

There’s only one chapter after Behringer’s
clonewars. Renewal, innovation and instruments we can’t imagine yet. I think i like it.

8 Likes

RE: New Behringer Pro-16.

I really agree with this. Elsewhere i called it encroachment, by which i mean out of bounds in a business and ethical sense, but probably in a general sense legal.

That the Pro-16 has the differences it does, i mean the multi-timbrality, really helps distinguish these two though. That’s something anyone can easily hear.

To be complete on this though, it’s now Focusrite Sequential. Whether or not this consolidation came from Behringer’s entry and expectation of products like the Pro-16, one can speculate.

[By “in a general sense”, i mean, without some specific patent violation or such like.]

EDIT: Fixed typo.

1 Like

I don’t understand, Dave Smith runs Sequential and is going to be influencing Focusrite [to inspire in Chris Huggett’s absence], not the other way around.

Focusrite would have larger power when it comes to suing a company I guess.
But I just hope they use their energy to come up with the future-oriented synth B seems not willing to create.

1 Like

when will Behringer make Behringer versions of Behringer stuff?

1 Like

Just saying…

8 Likes

Incredible.
Feasting on the legacy of a dead man, what a bunch of disgraceful vampires.

I hereby solemnly declare (again) I’ll never give Music Tribe a cent. And expose their misdeeds to anyone I know.

10 Likes

Same here. No Behringer in my house.

6 Likes

100 pultec clones…no one cares
100 moog filter clones…no one care

BuT nOt My HeCkIn 3o3-aRiNoS!

(Full disclosure i dont own any behringer stuff other than patchbays, but not because he clones sequential, its because i dont desire a sequential cloned or original)

(2nd full disclosure…id kinda like to see Martin Shkreli on MusicTribe’s board of directors)

1 Like

I don’t thinking the cloning is as much the issue as their business practices and ethics.

It’s the attempts to subvert the very companies and people whose ‘legacies’ they invoke. Many of whom are still active.

Alongside that, you have attempts to confuse uninformed consumers by acquiring trademarks, logos and iconography to provide an air of legitimacy.

These are things that don’t sit too well with me. And possibly others from what I’ve read.

Add to that the pisspoor design choices and overall cheapness and it just makes everything off putting.

I should add that considering how community driven the world of synths had been for so long prior to the last decade, it’s hardly surprising that behringer would get the response they do. They already had a poor reputation before they began producing synths.

8 Likes

8 Likes

Perfek, only tweaks that could improve would be making it a beaker or lab flask or duplicating cylinders in the same icon :smiley:

Seriously, they have little interest in trying to go on their own merits. People liked the Deepmind, why couldn’t they keep on with those takes?* They’d build their own legacy.

*Because they don’t want to invest R&D, their engineers are capable of doing so, they choose not to allot enough to development.

I can see you point with the “ethics”, but I do believe there bias due to our job/hobby/whatever. There are far worse companies out there, but still continue to use everyday. Amazon reduces humans to an algorithm to see if you viable. Imagine being fired by an app. Google know itself all to well that it changed its company motto of “Do no evil”

Im very free enterprise, so none of this surprises me. I think amazon’s employment practices are far worse then Behringers business choices, but until someone offers me a better solution, have to deal with the available options. An original 808 isn’t an option for most.

Not sure how it is elsewhere, but in the US, you can’t copywrite/tradepark/patent a circuit. You can copywriter the printed schematics, the PCB layout, the architecture to make the circuit, but not the circuit itself. SO this is why I don’t see an issue with making OB-X’s, swings, sm58’s, and whatever else is out there. Surprised there isn’t a xone96 clone yet.

2 Likes

Do you think that this is a meaningful statement or a legitimate defense of action?

If you care at all about tech monopolies, surely you also agree that companies that abuse market power are not beyond criticism.

Otherwise it’s just

“A: We should improve society somewhat.”
“B: Yet you participate in society. Curious!”

provocation and “concern” without meaning or good faith :stuck_out_tongue:

10 Likes

Making comparisons doesn’t justify it tho.
Just cuz someone else does wrong, doesn’t make the discussed transgressions correct.

3 Likes

Someone should really clone the TC Clarity. It’s basically the only piece of hardware they make that doesn’t have a good alternative. Maybe add analog inputs.