The Clone War - Behringer. Good or Bad?

From FB (posted on AB forum)

Arturia and Behringer both have licences to produce it from its designer, an independent company called DesignBox.

This seems to be a false posting.

Arturia simply hired DesignBox to do the Keystep design, as did plenty of other companies in the past (f.e. Waldorf, Alesis, and even Moog).

Arturia owns all keystep IP. It’s not owned by DesignBox. Take a look at the keystep manual, designbox is simply one of the parties involved, all under direction of Arturia:

1 Like

They did a of the Novation launchpad mini a few years back too, and probably other stuff too.

They mention they are working on their own DAW, which will probably be a direct copy of or a mish mash of existing DAWs, obviously significantly cheaper though, maybe even free, to get people to buy their controllers.

Their little army of youtube shills will probably get behind it regardless, quite funny really but not unexpected. I don’t think it will make much difference to the overall market though, basing your whole business on copying other companies work means at best you are always one step behind, people will tire of it eventually I think, so probably not a good long term strategy.

The strangest thing to me though is that they apparently can do original stuff, and arguably their best products are their own original designs, I mean as an example their BRC2000 seems to have quite a cult following even before the Zaquencer, yet who remembers any of their dodgy mackie or boss copies? But the mackie and boss products they copied are still sought after.

It seems like a very throwaway, disposable way to run a business, they seem to have a pretty large customer base now, for how long though is the question, it won’t be long before chinese companies will copy and undercut Behringer, it is starting to happen already, as it did with guitar pedals etc.

Edit: Full circle, I literally can’t keep up :rofl:

Also:

And:

4 Likes

it could be that their successful original designs are the brainchild of one or two talented and motivated people, often starting it in their spare time. And if their successes are not valued and celebrated correctly internally, then these talented people leave, and the less-talented people stay.

If you look at the 2 Midas Klark Technik engineers who were most public about the Deepmind 12 design, one of them left MusicGroup already to go freelance: https://www.linkedin.com/in/rob-belcham-35333320/

1 Like

From Ali Express, a few familiar looking controllers significantly cheaper than even Behringher.

now is the time to release the „Math“ module.

pro tip, all tips and tricks and workflow shortcuts from the Moog Mother 32 manual work 1on1 on the crave.

basically it’s the Full manual for the crave.

maybe that’s Ulis problem, being cool with clones for a short time and then coming up with some irrational clones, crashing the whole party.

if it would be 29€ it would‘ve been a great success, but this is such a dumb move.

people defend the crave from being a clone. Ok different design, different sounding components maybe. But the whole idea, workflow and features (even every single patch point afaik) are essentially the moog mother 32. No idea how someone could deny that

3 Likes

it’s a 1 on 1 clone in function, especially the software and behavior of the settings etc.

behringer should immediately release the whole line of swing controllers, otherwise everything after the KS clone will be punished to death.

oh boy

It’s definitely important to keep general behringer discussion separate from discussion about a specific product, but the funny thing is, there’s literally nothing to talk about with this thing other than the fact that it’s another company’s product :joy: It’s not even its own instrument to discuss, it’s just a physical embodiment of behringer’s garbage business practices.

Anyway, to pretend to make a normal post in a normal Other Gear thread, I think I’ll pass on this one, would be redundant in my current setup since I have something similar lol.

Hope they get sued.

6 Likes

Agreed. This product is morally repugnant. And it doesn’t even save newbies all that much money, which is the whole point of buying Behringer.

3 Likes

Arturia should clone the BCR2000

That would be amazing if they beat Behringer to market on that lol

Uli is already on it :joy:

2 Likes

Love the headline. Also the line ‘from their era of innovation’ :joy:

3 Likes

DesignBox is the company from Axel Hartmann, THE longterm designer for Waldorf, Moog and many other Synth brands. I didn´t know that Arturia was also with DesignBox and interesting that B. also went to DesignBox.

The argument for the Behringer clones always seems to be “They are taking these unobtainium legacy synths and making them affordable for us artists.” An honorable goal if it were true, but it just isn’t the case. For all of these clones, they are using different components, different electronics (usually cheaper), different scale builds, certainly different quality keybeds, etc. The closest they come to a 1:1 copy is on the face plate and front panel layout.

A synth is more than an assembly of guts. It’s a complete experience, and for B to present a box full of compromises and pass it off as “the real thing” is just dishonest. And the fact is, there are so many new, current analog (and DIGITAL) synths that are pushing synthesis forward in exciting ways, it’s only a paucity of imagination that would lead me to consider a B clone product in the first place.

8 Likes

I stand corrected

1 Like

…behringer is better than their price tags suggest…

…bringing back classics that are long gone but not forgotten, for cheap, is no bad thing…
…and cheap only means own china production capabilities, use of cheaper parts that are simply cheaper because their invention is no fresh thing anymore while many copyrights are vanished by now and the global market has grown a lot since the 70ies…

it’s only bad karma, once u clone existing gear that is still on sale by others…

but that’s just the ugly face of capitalism again, that only regulates itself but nothing else for good…

companies…and their designated purpose…well well well…we all like companies that are truly designated to what they really do in first place, than just do the math and counting their growing in nothing but numbers…

no worries, I know it was floating around here and there on the inter webs, so I understand why it became something of a fact…

It honestly blows my mind that people go for a Boog instead of a Typhon, or a MS-1 instead of a Microbrute/Microfreak.
There are so many options for cheap modern synths that push the envelope instead of “just” reproducing old stuff. Sure the originals sound great and you’ve heard them on those records you love. But those records are from the 80’s and the artists who made them would have exchanged their old synth for our modern ones in a heartbeat if they had had access to them.

3 Likes