The Clone War - Behringer. Good or Bad?

bump

1 Like

Something I’ve noticed with some new smaller companies is a focus on ethical production and sustainable production, would love for this to become a trend with things like making products that are repairable instead of multiple layered boards that’re pretty much as good as garbage if something goes wrong.

7 Likes

Totally with you on that. The sad reality is that companies will always make more money by designing “disposable” products, and it is also why we have these unflinching waves of releases and all these GAS discussions we have.

1 Like

Only if suckers keep buying ‘em.

I like the maker/hacker ethos:

“I you can’t open it you don’t own it”

It is very important for me to be able to fix my tools myself or get fixed by a tech if I am unable, surface mount components if too small can make home repairs tricky without the right equipment, most analog stuff is ok though.

I’m quite aware of the varying quality in components too, some brands are excellent and last for years, others fail within a few years, whenever I build something I never scrimp on cheap components it isn’t worth it IMHO.

I have no idea if any of this applies to Behringer, I think it would be reasonable though to expect that they are saving money somewhere, whether that is in components or not remains to be seen.

5 Likes

To paraphrase Mr Takahashi,
“Entering a market to destroy it (with cheap knock offs of old ideas) makes no business sense, unless you are very short sighted”

I dont think the other synth companies really care about berhingers copies.

3 Likes

Lol, some dipshit in the comments on youtube is asking Behringer to do Digitakt and Digitone next, I think he is actually serious. :joy:

Edit: And OP-1 :rofl:

10 Likes

they have a groovebox in the works

Bro P One

3 Likes

Whats next? A Baldorf Ulidium?

1 Like

Hahaha. Amazing. Behringer can’t do screens tho, especially not of Swedish quality. Look at the crap screen on DeepMind for example.

Back on topic, I went to the Behringer Facebook earlier to see if there was a torrent of hate for the KS ripoff. Surprisingly there was very little. Most were loving it!

Wait, until the First Units Stop working…:grin:

1 Like

I had a dream last night that I got a Linn Drum and it made me soo happy. If Uli wants to amazon arturia on their keystep, in order to fund projects like the Linn Drum, JP8, and that sweet Prophet poly, more power to him. It makes sense that they need cheap safe bets to fund the less popular stuff and this certainly fits that profile given the continued success of the KS and explosion of bedroom producers.

Meanwhile, I’ll still be in the market for new gear from innovators in the space.

Wait, what?

They teased some kind of MPC One clone some time ago. But everything tells me they will never pull that one of: they don’t have the capabilities to develop solid and complex firmware that the MPC (and other sequencers like the Circlon) require. Otherwise they would have cloned the Keystep PRO and sold it for 50%.

Where did they tease about it?

Oh OK, no hard info yet.

indeed. Classic marketing strategy to attack Akai MPC sales: promise some mythical upcoming cheaper alternative, and hope people will wait and not spend their money on your competitor.

This is why these “we have an idea, how do you like it, how much do you want to spend, look at the prototypes, boxes in the factory, etc” posts are done by Behringer all the time,

1 Like

From FB (posted on AB forum)

Arturia and Behringer both have licences to produce it from its designer, an independent company called DesignBox.

This seems to be a false posting.

Arturia simply hired DesignBox to do the Keystep design, as did plenty of other companies in the past (f.e. Waldorf, Alesis, and even Moog).

Arturia owns all keystep IP. It’s not owned by DesignBox. Take a look at the keystep manual, designbox is simply one of the parties involved, all under direction of Arturia:

1 Like