The BITWIG Thread

You can drop anything in it - samples or clips and it loads super fast - it is very impressive.

2 Likes

As a(n anecdotal) data point, a convolution reverb native device was the 10th most voted feature request on the Bitwish community wishlist. Nice!

1 Like

…yap…they really listen…

Me too. Now, I just have to wait for a sale to happen when I have the extra money.

1 Like

Still missing a basic tuner :smile:

2 Likes

Really needed as well. Current reverb sounds like a tin can

1 Like

Tuner+ will be in Bitwig 5 :laughing: seriously I might renew in the summer sales, these new effects (especially the convolution reverb) plus the note grid stuff is tempting me

1 Like

Anyone here is using Bitwig to perform live?

I don’t do live (I just jam/fuck around alone) and I have been avoiding DAWs because of their complexity (and because I only have a shitty slow laptop), but hardware is becoming a pain in the ass for my current lifestyle.

Only DAW I ever liked is Renoise. But, from what I gathered, it’s really not ideal for live jamming. Plus, it doesn’t come with bundled instruments.

How CPU-hungry is it? Do you need a high-end computer to run it smoothly?

2 Likes

I think this depends entirely on how many tracks you expect to use, the types of Bitwig devices and/or VSTs you run, etc. But anecdotally, I’ve run Bitwig with 8-10 tracks of Bitwig-internal synths on a Microsoft Surface Go, which is pretty low-spec hardware. There’s a YT channel that does a bit of testing across surface devices that should give you a target to compare your computer against, here’s the one they have for Surface Pro 7:

In general I think the way Bitwig handles VSTs is good for low-spec hardware – it sandboxes them and if they crash, it doesn’t crash the entire DAW.

If you’re curious how it works on your PC, there’s a free trial that you can download to see how it works, but it has some limitations. It should give you enough idea whether or not you want to try to buy a license though!

3 Likes

[rant mode on]
oh no, they dropped .deb Linux packaging in favor of .flatpak!!!
(pullnig out random parts of the body since i’m bald-headed)
[rant mode off]

2 Likes

Feels odd, but it’s not so bad. Since I’m not used to Flatpak, I wonder how updating BW will be like. My only gripe is that now BW doesn’t read VST3 plugins installed in /usr/lib/vst3, so I’ll have to move plugins from there to $HOME/.vst3 every time I install something like Surge XT or the Chow DSP plugs…

well, flatpak wants to download and install half of gigabyte of dependencies — which is yet another copy of libs that are already present in the system, but at different path.

on the other hand, i’ll experiment with more flatpak packages — since many of 3rd party debs install their own copy of the same libraries to /opt anyway, it might turn that flatpaks are lesser evil.

No way it could run on my laptop :laughing:
But I managed to borrow another laptop and install Bitwig 8-track.

I was asking because I don’t have a clue about computers and DAWs, and even after reading a lot, I’m not sure.

If I wanted a reliable PC that would last, what should I expect to pay?

I don’t think I ever used more than 10 tracks, but that could change of course. And sure as hell I would stay away from the fancy, CPU- hungry VSTs.

No Mac, I am looking at Bitwig specifically because it runs on Linux.

1 Like

Have you tried? Downloading and installing the last version with all the stuff is free (you won’t be able to save projects but you don’t need that to test).

If you are on Linux, what is as important as the hardware is to have a kernel / a distro tuned for music production. There is Ubuntu Studio and more. This is free as well. :slight_smile:

I’m saying this because depending on how you work, maybe the requirements aren’t as big. I have been running Bitwig on a second hand NUC that I got for €200 and I only got in trouble trying some crazy Grid presets from third parties, but no problem with anything coming from stock Bitwig.

2 Likes

recently i bought second hand Mac Mini (late 2012), installed Ubuntu (in dual boot with MacOS), and using it daily as my primary system.
it perfectly runs Bitwig, Mixbus 32C and other audio production stuff.
it’s fantastic value for money, very reliable, and quiet.
and even if Apple drops x86_64 support, it will happily continue running Linux for another 10 years.

PS. using my old trusted NI Komplete Audio 6 for audio interface, if anyone’s curious.
also, there are quite some firewire interfaces supported by Linux.

PPS. also, there’s a bonus—i can legally run MacOS in VirtualBox :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Make sure you don’t have a $HOME/.vst3 dir. Then:
ln -s /usr/lib/vst3 $HOME/.vst3
to softlink your home .vst3 as a link to the main dir.

1 Like

Anyone using the 4.3 beta with Overbridge? Latency compensation isn’t working for me, sounds like a horse race.

Works fine in 4.2.3, just went to shit in the last two 4.3 betas.

Edit: Beta 3 appears to have fixed it.

well, the new beta 3 now offers flatpak and deb, so I can now stop worrying about these misdemeanors :sweat_smile:

1 Like

So just something neat and not complicated to do that kind of blew my mind was to put multiple drum loops into a drum machine (not just one hits) and have a random ARP in front of the machine. In this case I have 7 loops, 7 notes laid down, and a single step ARP set to RND:

You don’t need to have 4 bars but it’s nice to have the option to remove some things you don’t want to play randomly all the time:

This also works great with sampled bass loops/etc…

Really fun to have all this power without doing much at all!

Of course this maps a sampler to each drum pad so you can change start/end/etc…

6 Likes

I found something interesting…

The Syntakt VST plug-in shows up as an instrument, and an audio effect.

I don’t have my Syntakt currently to test this, but has anyone tried using it as an effect on a track in Bitwig?