The BITWIG Thread

Yes, sometimes often and sometimes not. It is very frustrating.

hey folks. I’ve seen a few complaints about the arranger here, I imagine in comparison with Ableton. Could someone explain the specific issues and limitations in Bitwig’s arranger vs. Live’s? I’m starting up a new project for which I would like to use Bitwig but if it’s a huge hassle to cut up long audio tracks and move them around, I can use Live.

I haven’t used Ableton, but I’ve been switching for years between Bitwig and Reaper, using Reaper for mixing because it was much better for managing audio in a timeline.
That’s not true anymore. I’m now 100% Bitwig. New takes system (comping) is well implemented. Once you know the mouse-over actions for audio objects, editing is fast. Can’t compare with Ableton, but it’s now as good as any other DAW I’ve used for arrangement/editing.

2 Likes

My Launchpad Pro Mk3 controller has been updated (docs too) and taken out of beta!

Enjoy v1.0

4 Likes

I think clip launcher may be what you are seeking here (but I am not expert).

How are you setting it up to get 5-6ms latency? I get about 60ms at best.

Bitwig amazes me every single time. A few days ago I discovered the Parseq-8 modulator, which is alike the Steps modulator, but

‘Each step is its own modulation source so assigned parameters are modulated and then reset when advancing to the next step

So in fact it has parameter locking powers. I did some tests with hardware (i.e. Nord Drum) and the fun (life!) starts when you modulate CC’s with an odd steps length (like 5). Love it!

Somebody made an explanation video (without hardware): How to use the Bitwig ParSeq-8 device tutorial - YouTube

5 Likes

The Bitwig 4.2 Beta is available, with new chorus, flanger and phaser plug-ins with vintage emulation modes, and a few other extras including Note Grid (joining Poly Grid and FX Grid) to create your own note FX patches:

Edit: Added the all-important word Beta!

4 Likes

there’s no new stuff for 16-track version.

Note Grid - finally

• New Note FX device: Note Grid, for using The Grid to create note processors or note generators, etc.
  • New Grid module: Note Out (I/O), for creating note output
    • Gate In port triggers a note to be created
    • Pitch In, Velocity In, and Channel In can either be set with fixed values, or provided with signals
    • When Enable All Expressions ( toggle) is on, Timbre In, Pressure In, Gain In, and Pan In ports are available for signal control of all note expressions
    • When Enable All Expressions ( toggle) is off, connections to these additional expression ports are remembered but inactive
    • As with any module, multiple Note Out modules can be loaded, helpful for sequencer or “groovebox” style patches, or whenever you want to group notes onto different MIDI channels, etc. etc.
  • New Grid module: Note In (I/O), with incoming (read: output) versions of all Note Out module ports
  • New Grid module: CC In (I/O), receives a specified control change message from any/all MIDI channels
  • New Grid module: CC Out (I/O), outputs a signal as a specified control change message on any MIDI channel
  • New Grid module: Poly→Mono (Level), flattens any polyphonic signal, making it the same for all voices. With five different modes.
  • As with all 184 Grid modules, these modules are available in all Grid devices (Poly Grid, FX Grid, and Note Grid)
  • Note Grid is the one note FX device with optional polyphony and Voice Stacking (just as FX Grid is the one audio FX device with these options)
  • Note Grid presets are shown when browsing for Note FX — just as Poly Grid presets show in instrument searches, and FX Grid presets show when looking for audio effects
  • All Grid devices now have Note Thru and Control Thru toggles, in case you want to disable notes or MIDI messages (including control change messages) from being forwarded directly from device input to output
  • Right-click the header of any Grid device to Convert to the other devices
6 Likes

Nice!

“The Bitwig Studio 4.2 beta is available for download today and it’s available to anyone with an active Bitwig Studio Upgrade Plan. You’ll find the installers in your user profile. The official Bitwig Studio 4.2 release is planned for March, 2022.”

So you can try your hand at it with the beta but I think I will wait, I still have so much to explore

1 Like

Yeah, my renewal plan ran out last October, so I’m still rocking v3.something. None of the additions since then have really grabbed me. Although the LFO to arp idea shown in the Note Grid video is pretty damn clever imo.

Edit: vintage-emulation compressors and saturation plug-ins would interest me more than the mod plug-ins and they would help Bitwig keep up with Ableton Live’s native plug-in suite.

New control surface API to launch clips with specific options. In the APC40mkII and Launchpad Pro scripts, you can:

• Hold shift to immediately launch a clip or a scene
  • Release the clip or scene button while holding shift, to return immediately to last playing clip(s)

This might be interesting for your script

…agreed…but hey, it’s way too early to drop out of ur update plan…

the simplicity meets mindblow factor is further on it’s RISE…really.

and with no doubt, some drum bus glue compression plugin will come soon…
and so is some convolution trix…

pretty confident that’s all within further 4.something updates…

and end of the year, it’s main update time AGAIN…and all wigs will start to fit even on VIDEO bits…

so, perfect timing to jump that train again should be this autumn… :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, I’m keen to see what Bitwig 5.0 brings :slight_smile:

2 Likes

If I upgrade the API version that means the script will only run on 4.2 or higher. I will review where things are at when 4.2 is out of beta. Maybe I will mark the current version of the script for pre-4.2 use and add this new stuff, seems quite performative, momentary clip launching.

1 Like

Bitwig 4.2 is out of beta now and available to download. the new stuff is pretty cool (esp note grid), but my upgrade plan ran out a while ago and I’m not sure this is quite enough to tempt me to upgrade.

1 Like

i’m on 16-track, but i’m happy with 4.2 since finally i got phaser!

1 Like

The new FX sounds pretty good !

1 Like

Waiting for Reverb+ :slight_smile: you know they are working on it.

3 Likes