The BITWIG Thread

…one more hmmmmmmm…maybe I’m blind…
but…

where’s that “project” button in that “browser” and this omnious thrid icon this kvr thread is referring to…?

dashboard is no browser…that much terminology is clear…
aaaand how to adress “the” browser in a standard “save as” process…?

feel really fad old dumbo on this while all thumbs up on Bitwig all that time…

and damn…this daw needs it’s own dedicated official forum, finally…
this kvr substitute is by no means a final solution…
bitwig really needs it’s own knowledge database…beyond all this tutorial vids, all over the place, containing all kinds of various quality…
got soooo many tips and trix at hand already, while lacking way too many basic essentials still…hmmmpf.

Like I said, it’s a thread from 2014 and may no longer apply. Maybe ask the Bitwig peeps directly for the definitive answer? Careful about using the term “final solution” :wink:

3 Likes

there is a discord, it’s pretty active

2 Likes

Found it. Its on the right side below on the screen now.
Click the second symbol right from browser symbol ( show project panel). Then click files above.
Thanks for the question. Will try it once. I cant test now because I think I havent bounced etc, made any serious audio work i think ever…
I do use collect and save often to switch safer maybe from hp to mac but that command is also not hidden.

1 Like

Btw, since it has been many months or years since I asked the last time:
Does someone have an allen heath zed 10(fx)
or knows maybe what to do to record usb out from there to bitwig?
With audacity on my old hp I can connect usb to usb and click record… ( windows direct or wasapi, dont know whats better…)
No allen heath driver exists or needed I read once, i think cc usb.
On bitwig audio>driver model asio doesnt see allen heath like it sees the elektrons.
I think its the same on newer mac, not sure anymore.
Bitwig wasapi there‘s written „audio inputs not supported“.
Do i need to get jack? dont know what that is. Or as usual am I missing something obvious? Sorry, thanks

…thanx for the hint…

pretty fresh into discord…aaand totally not realized in full scale yet, what it really has to offer…bangarang…

no further need for final solutions, i guess… :wink:

aaand thanx @pdp

No idea about your device, but have you tried the Asio4all driver?

1 Like

To record in Windows, you always need a driver.
-WASAPI is the default modern Windows driver.
-ASIO is the driver standard used by a bunch of different manufacturers. There is also ASIO4ALL, a driver that sometimes works with hardware when the manufacturer hasn’t provided a driver or the driver is incompatible with latest OS.
-WDMKS is the old Windows default driver.

If your interface works on an old PC with no dedicated driver installed, and doesn’t work on a newer one, it was probably using WDMKS to connect. Bitwig doesn’t support WDMKS anymore. If the manufacturer isn’t providing an ASIO driver, and the interface isn’t WASAPI-compatible, then your range of DAWs will be limited to those that still support WDMKS.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the answer, also @joanq.
I wrote a bit confusing as always sorry but the case is also confusing to me.
-I use this old free hp now with bitwig (hope till end of windows 10…).
Thing is as a surprise I saw once audacity ( the freeware recording software) sees the class compliant usb audio from alllen heath with Wasapi. I read somewhere to use asio 4 all if the computer doesnt recognize the mixer, but it seems he does.
Bitwig (incl the audio track in and out) doesnt see it ( plug and play like audacity)

I think I tried it also and didn’t work with a new macbook that i have in another place mostly , not completely sure.

(Could be even digitone cc usb ( not overbridge) wasn‘t seen on bitwig with the mac when I tried once. Can’t remenber sorry, will test, good possible I remember wrong here). Overbridge works more or less ok on both computers)

will try asio4all if its not too quirky, I read to avoid if possible.
Thanks a lot

I would test again whether the successful connection to Audacity is using WASAPI or WDMKS. If you’re sure it’s WASAPI, then yes it should work with Bitwig too.

…FOUND IT !!!..

…gosh…learning a daw from scratch, always remains a pita…each time…and it’s been a while, since i did so…and i tend to forget… :wink:

but hey…once thing’s granted…it’s been never that easy, that much fun and that fast to gain in progress as it is with THIS piece of berlin code…

two more weeks, i guess, and i’m talking bitwig all fluently…all the way…klak klak zak zak…?
almost there…

last daw of my life…i got u…

Thanks a lot for the details. It gets even more complicated…
Now I see wasapi in audacity is ok BUT cant switch to stereo… Another time i can‘t remember exactly but i must have switched intutively to windows direct sound always…, there i can switch to stereo.
Edit: it was only some update or whatever that messed that up, in audio in advanced on windows I could reset CODEC (allen heath usb ) to stereo to record wasapi stereo to audacity.

About wasapi in bitwig, from support page:
„Windows’ own built-in audio driver is called WASAPI and it is not supported for recording audio in Bitwig Studio. To record audio in Bitwig Studio on Windows, you will need to use another driver called ASIO.

Most audio interface manufacturers release their own ASIO drivers for Windows. If your audio interface does not have a dedicated ASIO driver, we recommend that you use ASIO4ALL“
Tried a4all now, at the moment it works, but a LOT of crashes, high pitch noise, had to reinstall to uninstall, will try a bit more another day maybe. thanks.

1 Like

Cool… well I learnt something, I didn’t realise BW can’t record from WASAPI! I never noticed, I’ve only used it for mixing, when I’m too lazy to plug into a proper interface… good luck with A4All.

1 Like

I should have had a look in this thread earlier. I tried to use the Roland SP-404mkll as a sound interface with bitwig, but wasn’t able to record any audio with WASAPI. I installed ASIO4ALL and it seemed to work fine with the 404mkll.
However, what I actually want to report about: hooking up the DN to bitwig via overbridge is a dream, it works so well for me that I actually can’t really believe it (I’m still expecting that some things have to go wrong once I start to get into properly recording a set of songs). Streaming all of the DNs track, its master track for fx and the input track for the 404mkll all at the same time with only about 5-6 ms latency is unbelievable. I’m actually mind blown and beating my ass up that I didn’t buy the full version of bitwig earlier. I had an old edirol stereo sound interface and an even older version of Cubase LE before, lots of crashes or losing connection, requiring to restart the computer, etc.
I recorded all my music I did until now with this setup (since about 2010). Although the last two records were done almost exclusively on the OTmkll (which I sold), only using isotope ozone for very basic mastering purposes. I backed up all the data on my laptop to a hard drive, made a fresh windows 10 installation and only got bitwig, overbridge and the 404mkll manager software. Feels nice to have a new clean slate and I’m very psyched for what kind of tunes this new setup will yield for me.

3 Likes

Overbridge bitwig sync is spot on! Great for recording my other hardware synths. I almost feel i could never sell my DN just because of it’s utility value alone in a hybrid setup.

I do get crashes / loss of connection to DN/Overbridge pretty often though. Haven’t really figured out why or when it happens. If I restart DN and Bitwig the connection works again. Do you get that problem?

Haven’t had any problems or issues yet, but I only started using the DN with bitwig just a few days ago. I’ll report back in case I run into any issues.

Hopefully you wont have any issues. There’s a few threads here with other people seemingly having the same issue. I’m gonna look through those and see if there’s any solutions.

1 Like

Hey Y’all,

Just finished a full featured, 1:1 script (Panel Function == Bitwig Function) Bitwig Controller Script for the Launchpad Pro Mk3.

The DrivenByMoss script reassigned every button, meaning that nothing labelled on the panel actually applied. It’s fine if you’re in that headspace, but I wanted the LP Pro to work with Bitwig as they made it work with Ableton.

Anyways, check it…

A Bitwig controller script that matches (and expands) the functionality that Novation and Ableton provide for Live. It was implemented based on the Launchpad Pro Mk3 manual feature descriptions, so the Launchpad will do what it says on the buttons.

The standalone features of the Launchpad, Notes/Chord/Custom modes and the Sequencer will all work seamlessly in Bitwig.

Bitwig is different from Ableton Live, so there are a few differences. Specific to Bitwig, this script supports a rotated view for Arrange view, Multiple Devices and remote pages, 8 Sends per channel and more.

Enjoy!

6 Likes

Wow… very cool! I’ve been looking at the Launchpad Pro Mk3 even though I have a Push 2 as it’s smaller and I think it’d work well for me. I haven’t tried the Push with Bitwig, so I can’t comment on that integration, but this script might make me pull the trigger.

Thanks for making and sharing!

1 Like

Does anybody use maschine mk3 as a controller inside bitwig? Do you use the integrated bitwig support, or the driven by moss extension?

And, it is possible to navigate and use the sounds/samples/synths of native instruments? I’d like to use them, but I really prefer bitwig over maschine (software) as a DAW. I know that you can use maschine inside bitwig as a plugin, but I don’t like doing this very much (duplicated features, a bit slow and CPU consuming…).

I love the feel of the maschine controller, but found the software a bit uncomfortable to use, compared to bitwig.