The BITWIG Thread

Thanks man!

Yeah, me too. It almost seems like a no brainer with those hit markers it has but, nope :-1:

1 Like

alt(option) + drag, no?

For quantize:

• load or record an audio clip
  • double-click it / hit “E” to open it in Detail Editor
  • switch to Clip view, or in Track view make sure to select audio event, not clip event!
  • set the onsets to your needs at places that you’d like to quantize with
  • right-click on the audio event, select Slice In Place and in there slice at Onsets
  • select all resulting audio events
  • right-click and Quantize… or Alt+Q
  • Select your preferred quantization settings
    presto
4 Likes

I really went into Bitwig with a beginners mind, this makes me not miss anything and just enjoy what’s there and forget about what I did in another daw.

1 Like

But then you have spaces of silence between the slices right? That’s okay for some material, but it doesn’t stretch them to fill in the spaces.

Unless I’m missing something.

Not behind the laptop now to check, but you might be able to import a loop (you can automatically import loops with stretch on), slice it use the method above, and still have the slices behave with timestretch and thus adjusting to tempo changes.

And whilst typing I think this isn’t what you seek. You want unquantized recordings to be sliced (or indexed) and then similtaniously timestretched and quantized. Hmmm i think there’s an option to set the amount of quantization on event starts and event ending, but it might online be the case for midi. I’m not expecting it to work on audio events, and certainly not automatically.

Well sorry for the pointless ramble :grin:, feels as if bitwig is indeed close to being able to do that but not yet.

1 Like

You can then just stretch the cuts to cover the silence.

1 Like

I didn’t know that.

It seems like a lot of steps and tedious work vs just hitting quantize or dragging a marker into place though.

Use “slice in place” (formerly “split at onset”), then ctrl/cmd + A to select every audio events, then quantize (Q), or use “Quantize…” (alt + Q) if you also want the end of each event to be quantized too.

You have options! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Will that automatically join the ends remove the silence and stretch the audio then?

Bitwig is a fantastic instrument! Once a few essential (to me) things are implemented I’d probably be up for another go.

Im currently learning it, I’m a total noob. I was all hardware for a very very long time, I’m giving Daws a go again. last time I used a daw for anything it was Ableton 8.

1 Like

I’ve used Cubase since VST 5/SX 1 times (when I was a teenager) It still gets used for mixing and some arrangement finalization.

I started using Live around version 7 I think. Mostly because everyone I knew used it and it made things easier if I wanted to work with someone.

I know both well.

When you find ways that work for you it’s hard to just throw those things out the window. I love all the modulation and many things about Bitwig. I’ve just gotten used to being able to manipulate audio easily and it’s engrained in my workflow.

1 Like

I‘ve used Live since version 5, got out at version 11 because the beta ran so terribly on my laptop then.

I bought Bitwig a year ago. It does a lot of things so well and so efficiently, it‘s sort of mind-blowing. In comparison to Live, apart from Max4Live I don‘t see much/anything that Live still does significantly better than Bitwig.

That said, for linear workflows and corresponding feature sets, DAWs such as Logic Pro or Studio One 5 (my current go-to when on the computer) wipe the floor with both, Live and Bitwig.

Personally I look at Bitwig as an instrument foremost…a Drambo on steroids so to speak.

3 Likes

You just reminded me of the transient envelopes that I use in Ableton too.

They are great when you record some drum loops and want to make them have more space between the hits. Not only for making space in a mix but defining a groove.

There’s was a work around I tried in Bitwig, but it was 3 different automatic settings rather than a continuous adjustment like in Ableton live.

Another thing I would miss :confused:

3 Likes

The grooves are cool. Another thing in Live I never really got into, but would like in Bitwig.

2 Likes

I have a project that consists of nothing but 6 instances of BFD on different channels so that I can quickly switch between 6 different drum kits from my percussion controller during live play. The plugins crash about every 5-10 minutes, but only when (it seems) my laptop has some other app using the same audio as Bitwig or when there’s substantial network activity. This could be coincidence, but when I leave everything alone for a couple of hours and come back, there’s been no crash. I’m looking for some quick advice of things to try or watch out for.

I wouldn’t think of asking for methodical troubleshooting help because my older version of BFD is known to act weird, popping up warnings of mysterious missing packages, which error is strictly due to the change in ownership of BFD from FXpansion to InMusic. The most updated version, however, doesn’t solve the problem because the new version has endless authentication issues, so I’m best off with this last non-InMusic version.

When I was loading 1-2 instances of BFD, I never had crashing. I can go back to that, of course, but it’s lovely to be able to choose between many kits in an instant. In fact, I wouldn’t mind if I could have a stable Bitwig project with 16 instances of BFD. Until then, any suggestions to enhance stability? I should also add that sometimes Bitwig’s connection to the audio output device dies, and I have to reconnect that, but that also never happened with just 1-2 instances of BFD.

…if u wanna run more apps at once…always start bitwig FIRST…

does someone use the AKAI MPK Mini MK3 or the Arturia MiniLab MKII with Bitwig? I’m looking for a quick access controller, mainly for the rotary encoders to control macros in Bitwig. Wondering what is better for that purpose.

I’m also looking at the DJ Techtools Midi Fighter Twister, but it is almost 3x the price.

I use the Novation Launchkey Mini Mk3 with Bitwig, integration is excellent (DrivenbyMoss Script). I also have the Midi Fighter Twister, it’s a great controller, I got it used for 180€ and it’s absolutely worth the price. But I love the Launchkey on the go with Bitwig, handling is very good.

1 Like

thanks, good to know! just found this script, did you tried it?

Edit: here is a newer script

1 Like