The BITWIG Thread

Is there a way to arm all tracks? Its not a big deal really, but it’s a little annoying clicking all the record triggers…

To arm all selected tracks you can click the arm button in the inspector on the far left, rather than the individual tracks. The default “select all” hot key is ctrl-a, but thats where it still gets a bit fiddly depending on the structure of your project. Try it and you’ll see what I mean. But if you group your track logically, this may not be a big issue.

…i’m pretty much a fresh newbie in the game of putting a different wig on each and every single bit…

i left ableton behind with suite 8…went back to good old logic for recording, mixing “only” AND did ALL with hardware from that point on…swearing i’ll never learn a new daw again in this lifetime…

and ooops…here i am…a decade later…with a fresh and brandnew licence for bitwig since this sommer…
so, never say never, i guess…this daw is everything u want it to be and u can possibly ask for…
only scratching it’s surface yet, but already convinced forever…so …er, this is now the last daw instrument modular system i’ll ever gonna learn in this life time…but this time for sure… :wink:

1 Like

Same here. Bought it yesterday because I’d made far too many awesome synth patches in the Grid and didn’t want to lose them. Only problem for me is that I like to go bananas with LFOs on everything and my MacBook Air struggles at a certain point. I’m might have to start bouncing things when I reach the point of no return, before everything is twisted beyond all recognition. So inspiring!

1 Like

…nonono…u can now also consider to turn ur back on apple…

because once the grid touches linux, u won’t believe how much resources u got…
so check for some cheap pc note book flatten it with ubuntu and off u fly…

and congrats for ur decision…i have the slight feeling, i took a little part in ur final decision… :wink:

1 Like

That’s a good idea! A laptop running Linux just for the Grid, then Mac for mixing final stems etc etc. Now you’ve got me thinking!

2 Likes

after 2 years on DAWless rig, i feel ready for a „producer“ DAW (as opposed to „mixing/mastering“ DAW).

not that i’m going to switch ITB, rather use this option when my hardware rig is not accessible (but laptop always is).

decided to go for Bitwig 8-track bundled with Nektar gear.
should be sufficient for me, since my to-go machine is MC-707, which is 8-track.

2 external VSTs also seems enough since internal Bitwig machines offer lots of capabilities.

and yes, native Linux version :black_heart: :black_heart: :black_heart:

the only thing that bugs me is the lack of 24-bit export, but i suspect i’ll invent some workaround.

4 Likes

I had an Aha! moment last night. A friend and I were trying to get Live to sync correctly to my machines. I have Live 10 on a 6 month free demo somehow…But right before that I had bought Bitwig on sale. It’s a great program, but I was lazy to start on it, cuz I know the Ableton interface. Anyways, we got Ableton to sync as a master…For a couple hours. It was pretty close, using some adjusting and calculations…Went for pizza, came back, and it was no longer keeping sync, or was off again.
After my friend left, I messed with Ableton for a bit more…but started the dreaded sweat of latency nonsense. I hate spending time doing this sort of thing. I just want to make and record my music. So, I opened up Bitwig, hit a record clip on a four four drum beat…adjusted the “midi out clock offset” until it was as spot on as I could get it (14ms)…And now when I start Bitwig it just works. Unreal. It seams the “midi clock offset” delays the starting of the midi clock, so you always have this tiny, tiny bit of silence at the beginning of the recording, but then keeps the rest of the recording in sync.
This is really a game changer for me. Anyways, I’ll edit this if I go back tonight and it doesn’t work :laughing:

6 Likes

@ thoughstarZ ableton has the exact same midi clock offset control that you ‘discovered’ in bitwig, ya know. I’m not convinced Bitwig is any better at syncing with external gear than Live 10, and I own both. Just saying this because your conclusion that Bitwig made it ‘easy’ whereas Ableton couldn’t do it seems…random. Sounds like you just couldn’t find the midi clock offset control in Ableton, but found it in BWS. Cool, I guess, but that doesn’t exactly make bitwig better for such things…

3 Likes

Are you talking about “midi clock sync delay” ? In Ableton? Yep tried it. If not, please show me the way Jedi. I love to learn.

Yes. it literally does the same thing, it’s an offset. No idea why you’d get different results between the two platforms (again, I have both DAWs, and use my Model:Cycles in both). I prefer Bitwig as well, not trying to criticize it or anything, just saying there’s no ‘magic’ here regarding sync.

1 Like

Well, I’m glad you pointed that out. I couldn’t get Ableton to work (Been trying to get Ableton to do this for years), and I own Bitwig now, so I’m excited to learn this new way of working. Glad you have a handle on both.

Anyone tried out whether the beta of 3.3 now allows drag and drop of audio from Bitwig into a VST? (Reaktor 6, for example…)

Thanks!

Hi, I have always been able to drag audio from browser or clips into vsts (Avenger and MSoundfactory).

1 Like

Don’t know if this is same issue but I was having trouble drag and dropping samples from finder into vsts. I got the below response from them.

drag the file over to Bitwig Studio and keep hovering over it somewhere where you technically can’t drag it in (e.g. the top window bar instead of the arrangement) until it gets the focus again.

At that point also the plugin window opens again if it has been open before

1 Like

Thanks! I was lucky enough to figure that one out (with a bit of patience), but I cant seem to drag audio clips into Reaktor Blocks, for example.

Thanks… maybe it’s a Reaktor Blocks problem. Boo. Works fine in Ableton, though.

Maybe I will give it a try now that the election fog has begun to exit my brain… :expressionless:

…no need for any vst’s…here…
…so much to dicover with all it’s built in options ALONE…all on it’s own…
refreshhhhhhh…clean plate…
my goodness…it’s full of stars…

2 Likes

With audio clips you need to make sure you are not dragging the actual container for the audio file so slightly different to Ableton… you have to drag the audio from a clip from inside the detail editor… could be that maybe?

3 Likes

Aaaah ha! I will give that a try later, thank you very much.

I was growing sad at the prospect of having to go back to Ableton. Bitwig just gets out of the way and has a few things that I adore!

1 Like