The BITWIG Thread

https://www.bitwig.com/en/community/learning.html

1 Like

Thanks!! The Thavius video helped to find out how to bounce with the project name instead of „master.wav“ … haha.

Does anyone happen to use Bitwig with eurorack, and specifically with an Expert Sleepers ES-3 via ADAT into their audio interface?

Very niche case, I know, but I’m having an issue with that setup in both 3.2.1 and 3.2.2 that wasn’t present in 3.2 or earlier versions, and trying to work out if it’s unique to my setup, or a bigger issue.

I have Bitwig support currently stumped, they’re still trying to figure out what the issue could be.

DM me if you happen to have a similar setup and wouldn’t mind sparing me a few mins to test something.

+1 for all the polarity stuff - super inspirational
also baphometrix has some nice tutes https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuzDmHD4WeS4dwhFXPgm7GA

2 Likes

It does seem that way, just that bit tighter than Ableton. Without hiccups on play as well.

I might have to switch over, I need to check out the modular environment, the grid. I like that it can just loop raw audio, unlike ableton. The big feature for me was always that it could slice and shift around audio internally in clips. The new big Cubase style meters are pretty sweet too.

Thanks for pointing those out. Those tutorials are excellent and quite in-depth. Well worth watching.

i have bitwig with es-3. whats the problem you are having?

1 Like

When I have audio tracks with audio playing in a project, and/or effects tracks, the ES-3 receives a signal on all inputs, even though nothing is routed to it. The LEDs all light up in response to the audio signal. If I listen to any of them by routing it to something, I just hear noise - volume of the noise matches the audio amplitude, like an envelope follower would.

If I solo any of the Audio tracks, the ES-3 receives a signal on all inputs (I also tried an Audio track with no devices just to make sure it wasn’t a device).

If I solo an Instrument track with a VST, or an Instrument track with a hardware instrument on it (with the instrument playing), it doesn’t happen.

If I create an empty Audio track and solo it, it doesn’t happen.

If I create an empty Effects track with no tracks sending to it and solo it, the ES-3 receives a signal on all inputs.

This doesn’t happen in 3.2 or earlier versions, only 3.2.1 and 3.2.2.

I couldn’t reproduce this issue on 3.2.2,
Do you see the noise signal on your ADAT channels (audio interface mixer)?
For bitwig ADAT are just another channels like analog out so what you describing should happen even without ES-3.
Maybe i didn’t understood you correctly.
Can you make and send me the simplest project with this issue?

@iiiiiiiiii Thanks for taking the time to check.

I don’t think sending a project would help, as the audio config would be different on your end.

I’ll try and explain better.

in 3.2, The ES-3 only receives a signal when I route a track to one of its inputs (1-8).

Basic example - project with 2 tracks - track one is routing a signal to the master, which is routed to Channel one and two of my Firewire interface. Track two is routed to the ES-3 on input 1. Only input 1 on the ES-3 lights up and receives a signal.

In 3.2.1 and 3.2.2, the ES-3 is lighting up on 1-8 even though I’m not routing a signal to any of them.

Basic example - a project with one audio track - the audio track is routed to the Master, which routed to Channel one and two on my firewire mixer interface (nothing to do with the ES-3).

Playing audio on that track causes the ES-3 to light up on all inputs 1-8. No signal is being sent to the ES-3.

Although the ES-3 inputs light up in time and amplitude with the signal of the audio tracks, it’s not audio that is being passed - when I listen to any of the ES-3 outputs via another module, it’s just noise, which sounds like every ES-3 input is receiving voltage on all channels, even though no tracks are routed to any of the ES-3 inputs.

I narrowed it down to only audio tracks and effects tracks causing this, but no idea why that is the case.

I don’t have this issue on my system.

Biwig can’t recognized the ES-3 or even differ analog/adapt outputs, ES-3 is just an ADAT converter so my guess it’s something in your 3.2.1/3.2.2 audio busses routing.

1. Compere the input busses and output busses of bitwig 3.2 and 3.2.1/3.2.2 to match exactly, change it according to 3.2 if not.
  2. Do the same with the studio i/o settings (maybe it’s related to the problem you experience soloing tracks?)

Thanks for trying.

The ES-3 in my system is connected via ADAT channels on my digital mixer, which route to a 32 channel firewire interface to go in and out of bitwig. Everything is set exactly the same across all versions. I’ve checked the setup and cross referenced it across versions several times, and also sent screenshots of the audio config and studio panel to Bitwig support, they can’t see anything different either.

Soling tracks just narrows down the issue, rather than cause it.

Bump - any Abelton + Bitwig users who could comment on whether OB works better with one or the other?

OB 2.0 Working solid for me on Ableton (Mac Capitan)

1 Like

Anyone else around here using the DrivenByMoss controller scripts with Bitwig? The amount of Push-like functionality he’s built in for much cheaper controllers like Launchpad is really impressive. I’m honestly surprised Bitwig hasn’t offered to make them official plugins. I’ve been contributing back to the project by drawing up diagrams for the Launchpad to make it a little easier for beginners to grasp everything going on. I first started using the scripts about a year ago and am blown away by how much progress has happened since then.

3 Likes

3.3 just released today - a big release considering it’s only a point release!

• New “Polymer” device which appears to make the grid a little more accessible by embedding it into a broader device, pulling the main oscillator pane and envelope out of the grid and instead in the main device pane.
  • New wavetable device which is directly compatible with Serum wavetables
  • Editing improvements, free-form content scaling on the timeline

I haven’t had a chance to touch it yet, but really exciting - especially the cross-compatibility with Serum wavetables.

14 Likes

Wow. That is quite an update!

1 Like

Damn! This is huge!

Just messed around with the wavetables you can throw in there, and that is a blast!

Downloaded Bitwig yesterday and dipped into the Grid. I made a cool synthesizer within a couple of hours. Love it. So I’m more than likely going to buy it so I can save my creation. I may end up moving over from Ableton Live entirely or keeping Live 9 or 10 for certain duties. Anyway, impressive stuff :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

7 Likes