The BITWIG Thread

Im not sure why Id do that honestly. If you want to do it that way, then you can just use BW sampler and right click it and it will transient chop to a drum rack for you.

In Serato I keep the chops in that sampler and just put a sequencer in front of it and go to town.

In Bitwig I can modulate any plugin so I can just map to attack and release in serato.

1 Like

Ah I see, I want to do all sorts of crazy stuff to the slices so it doesn’t work for me if there is no export. The only thing bitwigs sampler sucks at is chopping, which is unfortunate. Just doing transients is like a 5 stars out of 10 lol. I think it is high on the list of things on bitwish though, so hopefully not too many updates till it is improved.

1 Like

Ah yeah, I love transient chop the most so that works for me. Just comes up with crazy ideas. I use serato for lazy chopping, tuning and vocals and stuff. A lot of times I just chop manually with no sampler and then I can drag those chop in wherever.

Ill loop a bar and just scroll and look for little things in the sample, chop what I like and throw into a drum rack or just do it all on the timeline.

2 Likes

(Sorry for the off topic response but I would like to clarify some things)

Drambo has the same A/B fader feature you can use with P-locks, so it can basically be used as a “faux octatrack” as I like to call it. I don’t think there are templates publicly available for it though, but it’s not hard to make. That’s the beauty of Drambo, you can make it as easy or complex as you want. I haven’t even come close to its limits (if it even has those).

Again though, while Drambo is very impressive, it will never be the same as an actual physical box. There’s always this feeling of iOS being slightly gimmicky and kinda cumbersome for serious audio setups with all the idiotic dongles and adapters. So in the end, I always grab my Elektron boxes for my sets.

EDIT: After some digging I did find a really insane Octatrack Template made by a Drambo guru at patchstorage.com. I included the link for anyone interested because it’s a very cool project and is way better than what I had. DrambOctaTrack Collection | Patchstorage

3 Likes

I had exactly this challenge of finding BItwigs sampler great if you already have samples, but not so great if you want to take a whole song and chop out some bits and have fun experimenting.

I have also settled on the Serato Bitwig combo. You also get the advantage of “Pitch and Time” which is one of the best sounding shifting algorithms IMO.

It’s not perfect, but it’s given me a lot of fun on the sample flipping challenges.

4 Likes

(For Drambo discussion, see Drambo (iOS))

1 Like

This Steamdeck with Bitwig could be a nice portable DAW solution…
Curious if there are other solutions (with Bitwig)? Maybe even without screen to just act as a device or whatever?

Just piling on top of what everyone else said: modulations, modulations are just TOO easy to do in Bitwig.

I feel like I’m in a modular that looks like a DAW, I actually do integrate all of it with my hardware + modular (have an ES-9 in the rack for that) and it’s absurd how easy it is to just play around and experiment with modulations. The easiness of adding modulations to any device, then adding a Note/FX Grid to develop a bigger patch that uses the same modulations from the other device, it’s just so expansive that inspires me to just play around, something that I suffered a lot in Ableton Live having to “translate” the way I was thinking (much more hardware-centric) to how it’s done in the DAW, Bitwig has completely freed me up from that, I can think in same concepts and apply them both to my modular and to the DAW without extra effort.

BW 5 and the project-level modulations just added yet another great feature to that, it’s like a Performance Mode for the whole DAW, which can even interact with my hardware and the MIDI mappings, it’s actually absurd, haha.

7 Likes

Hey all, anyone have a resource for good written tutorials?

I’m on a flight and can’t pull up video tutorials right now, but text should be fine.

Edit/ starting with the user guide pdf :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t know where you’re flying but the Bitwig user guide is lengthy and well written. Should keep you busy for many hours.

I’m not aware of other written tutorials. Again, with such comprehensive and well written official guide, it’s no wonder that everyone else is focusing on videos showing how things work.

1 Like

Is anyone up for meeting in Köln just because of Bitwig? See Bitwig meeting in Cologne? - Bitwig Forum - KVR Audio

If you prefer, you can contact me privately here.

First try with this combo

Rack pro to BW

6 Likes

Absurd indeed. I rarely used daws last decade and if so, only for recording. Since I purchased version 5.0
And started to experiment with this i can understand why people would sell their gear and go full in the box. This is so endless creative and workflow wise:I love it. Even if you don’t wanna use a daw this is insane as just a Elektron overbridge hub. This is the first time the whole OB concept made sense and my mind blew with the possibilities. I was experimenting with Digitone and modulators. EVERY available CC in the Digitone can have infinite extra envelopes, randomizers and whatever by the click of a mouse. Next you can setup a DN midi track to control those BW modulators and another track to control project wide macro’s for fx and so. It’s easy to setuo a set and forget BW template, turn off your screen and experience bitwig as a DN expansion box. The ultimate “open source firmware” addition for OB devices

12 Likes

Yeah I am finding it tough to keep my hardware anymore when I can free up a lot of $$ for other stuff. I simply use my laptop now so much more for music and with all the software like BW out there, or even Ableton, it just makes hardware feel like going backwards. Im personally all about speed and just getting awesome beats going quickly. With all the endless modulation of BW it makes it pretty easy to get there with some well crafted 4 bar clips.

That 2020 Beat Machine also is another piece of software that seems like a catalyst for hyper fast beat making with tons of fast access to complex modulations.

3 Likes

I’m conceptually so tempted by the idea of getting a dedicated laptop to install Linux on and have it just booting into Bitwig.
But I want to know that it’s genuinely a stable and enjoyable experience, not two hours tinkering with the command line every session. I wish there were say, a dedicated BW distro that was easy, reliable and optimised.

2 Likes

…not much experience with linux yet…but given the fact there’s some solid ubuntu audio setup, bitwig will boot and run smooth for sure…

only downside will be, there are not too many third party plugins that also work on linux…
but as mentioned here already, once u start to know bitwig, there’s not much to miss out on and nothing left that u could not do with bw alone in some other way…

See System requirements:

Ubuntu 20.04 or later, or any modern distribution with Flatpak installed

Plus the other general requirements. You don’t even need an amazing laptop for Bitwig to work without a problem. The technical limit is probably your skill at building CPU-eating monsters with The Grid, but this is really niche and non-critical. (this is not a Linux limitation, if you are into Grid monsters get a better laptop regardless of what OS you use)

I have used Bitwig with Ubuntu and low-latency Kernel for years. It only takes a one-time Ubuntu install and the automatic updates. Then a one-time Bitwig install with your audio settings (which you need to do on any OS anyway). You need to pay attention to your audio interface compatibility with Linux, but nowadays any USB class-compliant will do fine.

That’s it. There is a slim chance to find bugs if you use the betas. I only remember one problem with Flatpack when they started using it, and another one with Pipewire now for 5.0. I reported both bugs to support@ (and I guess others too) and they were fixed before 5.0 final was released.

Another risk to find problems is if you get bored and start reading discussions about [advanced Linux users trying out things] and start tinkering with your system. Went there, did that, and almost every time I paid it with less hours of sleep trying to go back to the normal, “boring” plain Ubuntu with low-latency kernel. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

excellent, feedback from actual users, that’s what I want!
So you just use vanilla Ubuntu? and Pipewire - works better than JACK?

How does performance compare to a similarly spec’ed Windows machine - much the same, do you think? Any other advantages/disadvantages? As Reeloy says, I’m not too fussed about VSTs at this point, the Bitwig effects are a very full suite now.

Yes, but the low-latency kernel part is important. Default Ubuntu has the generic kernel but it is easy to switch.

Alternatively, you can go for Ubuntu Studio, an Ubuntu flavor that comes with low-latency kernel and more. The main difference is the desktop offered out of the box (GNOME for Ubuntu, KDE for Ubuntu Studio) but even that can be changed after the fact. If you are interested in Bitwig, only in Bitwig, and want to be on the safest side with the underlying tech, I still suggest plain Ubuntu with low-latency kernel.

To me, this belongs to the [advanced Linux users trying out things] I mentioned before. For me, it also belongs to less hours of sleep trying to go back to the normal. :sweat_smile: On this and similar conversations it is useful to remember why you are using a Linux system. In your case it would be because you want to use Bitwig and that’s it, correct? Most JACK - Pipewire discussions (or GNOME - KDE, or this and that…) are driven by people who enjoy tinkering with their Linux systems. The means are the goals. If your goal is to make music, I suggest you use the defaults and only change them if something is bothering you.

When JACK was Ubuntu’s default, JACK for Bitwig was fine. Now that Pipewire is default on Ubuntu, Pipewire for Bitwig is fine. It is that simple. Is JACK still fine for Bitwig? Of course it is. But you said you didn’t want to tinker, so don’t. :slight_smile:

I don’t use Bitwig on Windows, so I have no idea. But Linux tends to outperform Windows when running the same apps on the same hardware, so I would say that surely not worse than Windows, and probably better.

That’s healthy regardless of your OS. :slight_smile: However, many Windows plugins do work without problems thanks to Yabridge. In my experience, the plugins that don’t work or are a big pain to get to work mainly fall in two categories: those with an ethos and business model that anyway I don’t like (iLOK, Native Access, etc; standard commercial / paid plugins are fine), and those that are so complex and deep that make Bitwig mostly a container, defeating the purpose of having a dedicated Bitwig laptop in the first place.

If you are using or are interested in some plugins, it is worth checking online or asking around. Chances are that they work on Linux + Yabridge. EDIT: (place here an enthusiastic sentence about CLAP plugins in the near future)

PS: shout out to the #linux channel on Bitwig’s Discord, where excellent Bitwiggers idle, chat, and help anyone with questions and problems, with extreme levels of patience. Almost everything I have learned comes from there. :orange_heart:

3 Likes

hi guys, bitwig question here

I am running bitwig clocked with ableton link. so I use push 3 to control the clock while I’m jamming and recording. the only issue is that when i record and there are tempo changes, the changes arent recorded. so the session stays at whatever tempo I last had it at and the files sound timestretched. is there any way to get around this where it will record the tempo change as automation? ableton does this without having to set anything up. I have automation write turned on of course

2 Likes