The Big Elektronauts Hip-Hop Thread: production tips, sharing our music, feedback and inspiration

Ah, that’s very kind of you, man - very much appreciated!

Honestly, between getting played by John Peel and appearing on that Lex compilation, I pretty feel like I got all the validation I could ever wish for. Being on a slab of wax alongside Madlib, J-Zone, Dangermouse & Sage, Tacteel and my friend Omar (Supersoul) was unreal, not to mention the rest of the people on the CD version!

A few years earlier I did some of the cuts for the Superdense Child 10" on Apeman which ended up also being on a compilation with the likes of Major Force West who were also massive heroes of mine. It’s pretty insane, looking back on it!

Lots of life happened after that period (I’m father to 5 children and have 2 grandchildren, plus I got my master’s degree in music technology) which often meant that making music got pushed down the priorities list, but I wouldn’t change any of that (and I’m starting to make up the time now).

8 Likes

This is a dope story. Thanks for sharing. I had that comp, was super anticon/lex/mush fanboy back then haha! This forum is the best!

@PeteSasqwax

4 Likes

You and me both, mate! That first DJ Signify album on Lex is still my go-to autumn album (and the follow-up on Bully is another all-time favourite). Wish he was still actively releasing music.

3 Likes

Think I’ve posted maybe posted this before, but I made this like 2010-2014.

Going to try to poste my first reason 3.0 beats too when i can find them haha

SP-FORUMS BATTLE BEATS>

6 Likes

Have it on vinyl.

Wonderful medley of dark instrumentals,

The buck 65/sage parts of the album were some of my favorite works from them too

1 Like

Agreed - Sage especially. That whole album is basically flawless.

1 Like

Awesome stuff! I have a bunch of your old tracks on my phone along with a bunch of other old SP forums beats, and listen to them all the time. Love that stuff!

BTW, if you ever have time, you should resurrect the SP beat battles here. There’s probably enough people on the MKII forum by now to make that possible. :slight_smile:

I feel like you are the keeper of the SP forums flame. :fire: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Bumping this now. The flanger/phaser on the hats on this first track sounds superb. I always love that stuff. A mate of mine used to run the 8 outs of his MPC 2000 through a gang of different guitar pedals and I always liked how the modulation pedals sounded on the hihats.

3 Likes

I just picked up an old Lee Scratch Perry comp on vinyl (Open the Gate), all late Black Ark cuts, and the bi-phase on the drums is all over those tracks. Love that sound.

4 Likes

True trying to relive my glory days hahaha!

But forreals appreciate the kind words! Once my three year old passes thru this tough phase, i am definitely down to participate a little more in the community! Rather than just chiming in at work haha

4 Likes

Some awesome artists being discussed here and lovely music being posted. Great work nauts :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Agreed - I was watching The Pedal Movie the other day and at one point Steve Vai pulls out this very distinctive metal enclosure almost the same size as his torso and reminded me that it looks every bit as glorious as Lee Perry made it sound!

2 Likes

No pressure at all man! Always love your posts.

1 Like

I recently discovered buck’s substack

https://buck65.substack.com

It’s definitely worth checking out if you’re a fan, same with his recent albums king of drums, super dope, and punk rock b-boy. I wasn’t really into much of his stuff since square, but have been loving those albums

1 Like

Really cool to hear early stuff. That Lex compilation looks familiar, I think a friend had a copy.
Was listening to Ropeladder 12 the Mush compilation alot around then.

Not my earliest stuff but pretty close. Probably made the beat 2001ish. This one is on vinyl!
The rapper (Noah 23) asked for a beat under 10 minutes with 23 parts so he could have 23 rappers on it. Then he rapped the whole thing himself

7 Likes

This is superb. I would have been tempted to make 23 instrumentals out of it and put it out as a beat tape (and would love to hear it if such a thing existed).

Rope Ladder 12 was superb - the 2 Jel tracks that bookend the album especially.

3 Likes

Hahaha I have this album on hardrive from the defunct soleone forum or anticon forum. This thread is bringing back all the nerd rap nostalgia.

Going to peep the track on my lunchbreak!

6 Likes

Thanks for bringing this my attention, I subscribed.

Going to check out those albums, I am similarly minded. I listened and like the stuff after square, like the dirtbike series for instance.

But the Vertex, man overboard, Sebutones era was the soundtrack to my formative years and brings back great memories of working at Tower Records here in San Diego!

1 Like

We have a new beat battle! This one is focused on Outkast and Adult Swim: Hip Hop Beat Battle #30: Outkast on Williams Street

1 Like
4 Likes