The Big Elektronauts Hip-Hop Thread: production tips, sharing our music, feedback and inspiration

Dope track! Sounds a bit like:

Which is sampled from:

But I’m not sure this is the actual sample for the track you posted. Dope sample regardless :sunglasses:

3 Likes

I love that Cipriani track! It could be it. Really dope flip if it is.

For those interested, the results of the last battle are in: Hip Hop Beat Battle #28 - Elektronauts, mount up! - VOTING THREAD - #25 by Jedilicious

Some great stuff, with a unsurprising winner :wink:

3 Likes

SP FORUMS CLASSIC!! What a time to be alive!

3 Likes

Sad I missed out on that. In 2002-2003 when I was grabbing my first hardware sampler I remember seeing the SP in the store, but was dazzled by the shiny red ESX-1, which I quickly realized didn’t work for me and moved over to the MPC1K and got on the MPC forums. My whole music experience would have probably gone a whole other route if I had picked up that SP303 or SP505 from the shop. I would have loved to have been on the SP board during that era. Definitely feel like I missed out.

3 Likes

Released this EP yesterday. Beats, rhymes & love!

8 Likes

Congratulations on the release man. Really like the vibe and your creativity shines through. Nice one!

2 Likes

Hope some (and by some I mean a lot) of you guys take part in this :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Thanks for the listen & kind words!

1 Like

Really dope release man!

You have your own sound which shines through in every track even though theyre each very different. I like the combination of electronic sounds and more mellow atmospheric instruments, and the buildup on these songs is very well done.

Reminds me of a modern Atmosphere (Ant & Slug) a bit, though ‘wonky’ has some madvillain vibes as well.

1 Like

Mann… @Yabba won again? I think you won half of these by now haha? I had some very busy days so I missed a lot of the battles laterly but will surely try again this time.

Here another s2400 track I did the other day:

8 Likes

Haha thanks man, I dunno why to be honest I always prefer everyone else’s beats to mine so forever humbled.

That beat is lovely by the way, sounds classic like it’s always been there.
The air on the snare drum, is that on the sample or is that a reverb preset on the Isla?

1 Like

Thanks man! Thats a chopped drumbreak, I don’t think I added reverb. The s2400 has no fx for now, except for filters and the various bitrate/samplerate reduction options. They’re working on an fx card but that might take years to be available.

1 Like

A Prelude

All done on the Isla S2400 with me playing in Kontakt Vocals and Chorus directly into the Isla live looping.

7 Likes

Very nice! Love the drums

1 Like

Cheers. It was a fun track to make.

1 Like

Thanks! I dig your beats a lot - you have a great ear and an obvious appreciation of/knack for that timeless boom-bap sound.

I know everyone here has different tastes and levels of experience but this thread is a cool little corner of the internet… glad I got an Elektron box and decided to check out this forum a while back…

I’ve been doing this for 20+ years and saw a little success early on thanks to the time & place - early 2000’s Pacific Northwest hip hop scene was pretty fertile soil. My groups Sandpeople & Oldominion collectively made some noise. Macklemore then shattered the ceilings that I thought existed for artists in our little scene but he always had some pop-star charisma underneath his “conscious hip hop” exterior.

But yea, Atmosphere, Madlib, Doom are all influences. Dilla & El-p are probably my all time favorite producers and I love Timbaland & Neptunes on more of that pop sound - but still so much classic hip hop has been made by them in my opinion. And I owe a ton of whatever my sound is to those PNW artists that I came up with.

4 Likes

Ah, man, I know your stuff. Big ups! I initially became aware of Oldominion through Scribble Jam DVDs and collabs with Dibbs (the mixes for Barfly & Grayskull and their appearances on his Dead World album). I’m an ocean away so apologies if I’ve got this wrong, but weren’t there 20+ members in the crew at one point?

3 Likes

That’s dope that you’re somewhat familiar… Oldominion was indeed pretty massive. Probably not a sustainable model for the long term but it was a cool moment.

2 Likes

I think there’s a lot to be said for collectives - both in terms of community and also when it comes to visibility. There’s a definite amplification effect, especially when you’re somewhere outside the more predictable hip-hop hot houses, I think.

There’s a collective over here called SIN Cru (Strength In Numbers). They include artists from across the whole spectrum of the culture and turned their collective identity into a non-profit organisation which provides educational outreach programmes for schools and community groups. I always dug that idea.

2 Likes