The best Zoom recorder for your Digitakt: H4n Pro vs. H5 vs. H6

So cool! Any advice, tricks & tips about your Takt+H4n pro game?

Excellent point Papertiger! I hadn’t considered the iOS aspect - I actually like to pair my Digitakt with AUM as a hub for iOS synths and effects.

How do you do that?

List seems to get shorter: it’s now down to H6 vs. H4n Pro.
H5 users, please help :slight_smile:

I picked up an h5 recently.
The thing it has over the h4n is the ‘mic module’ can be switch out.
so whilst I’m using it mainly for stereo xy mic and 2 channels line in.
I’m going to grab the 2 channel module, so I can swap out the mic for an extra 2 line in channels when needed.

The h6 can do the same, but was more than I needed and looked a bit big.

1 Like

Check out the XLR/TRS capsule: https://www.zoom-na.com/products/field-video-recording/field-recording/h6-handy-recorder/capsules

Have seen it for $70 on Sweetwater.

True, I did some more research and discovered that the H5 and H6 have something more that matters to me a great deal: the Zoom H5 (and the H6) can be used as external mixer for iOS.

2 Likes

You nailed it Bradley! I’m gonna sleep on it and decide tomorrow. Thanks again for your help!

1 Like

Nothing too specific, it’s pretty much plug-and-play. I’ve had the best results with having the digitakt full volume and controlling the gain on the recorder. You can also hard pan instruments on the digitakt and multitrack with the left right out into the zoom, which is Handy. Or if you run the digitakt in mono, plug that into the left of the zoom and in the right put an instrument of choice. I’ve been jamming a lot of Bass to it that way. Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks!

if H6, and swap mic module for input module
these channel will be stereo file, plus
can enable -20 db dual record on this channels.
(makes two file, one loud one -20 less)

Is great bonus feature if record digitakt as I,
sometimes jam out and go loud with big effects and is signal
hot!

It’s a great feature on both the H6 and the H5. I see how useful it can be for recording jams on the DT. Thx

I ended up following your lead: I picked up a Zoom H5 this morning and ordered the EXH-6 Dual XLR/TRS Combo capsule. This way, I can not only record my Digitakt jams or use the unit as a usb audio interface, but I can add another instrument when necessary. It can be either my Digitone or the Organelle that should be in my mail in a couple of days.

Ultimately, the H6 was too big. If and when I need 6 tracks or more, I can either use my DAW or go completely DAW-less with my trusted Zoom R24.

I picked up the H5 this morning and ordered the XLR/TRS combo. Thank you so much for inviting me to think more about my needs/wants.

1 Like

Let me know if you ever need a listening hear. Exchanging points of view is what collective intelligence is all about: 2+ brains > 1

1 Like

Why not the simple H1n?
Cheap, most portable and does all you need.
Besides hardware line recording, likeliest small recorder to actually slip into your pocket for out n about field recordings …

2 Likes

The latest (2018) version is quite good, but I like the connectivity and the form factor of the h5.
At the end of the day, it’s the same reason we choose an instrument over the others - a mix of rational specs and irrational projection.

IMakes sense - i’ve an old H4N and the new H1N … no doubt better connectivity in the former but H1N has seen a lot more time slipped into the side of a bag recording whilst walking around strange cities to pick up odd noises and ambience. Fits the bill for me as a cheap ‘hit the button and go’ recorder.

The great thing about all of these recorders is spontaneity in my view and how good the recordings are; aside from my own handling noises. Funny that I could probably do the same thing with my phone but never do!

I never would have thought of myself as a field recorderist-ophile … but getting a lot of fun when travelling to inconspicuously record; whether on a subway train in Shanghai, in a field of birdsong in France or should a jazzband appear in a bar in wherever.

Anyway … drifting off topic!

1 Like

You’re def. not drifting out of topic: using my iPhone to capture sounds while travelling (mainly Africa and Scandinavia) got me hooked. Sequencing those sounds on the DT was the logical next step. Now I feel that I want to step up my game - not just jam with the DT but get higher quality sounds. I love the spontaneity of dedicated hardware.

And I like redundancy: filming with the iPhone, recording sound with the H5 and injecting sound from the Zoom to the iPhone are the kind of stuff I want to do. Who knows: maybe something like the OP-Z will help me sequence pictures and videos. We’ll see.

1 Like

Several orders of magnitude higher quality/price than a zoom, but had to share this smokin deal on a studio devices recorder. CAD is at 75 cents to the USD right now too.

A wise man once told me that the best field recorder is the one you’ll use.

8 Likes