The best Roland TB 303 clone?!

The midibass should be compatible with the RE-303, but best to check with Paul first.

the Audiorealism ABL2 & 3 were the Software based 303 clones i’ve used so far.

i created a authentic Skin for the ABL2 a couple of years ago. unfortunatly, the GUI of the ABL3 is different, so it’s not possible to implement the skin in the latest ABL :frowning:

the skin was primary created with a 3D programm

8 Likes

that your skin there? :point_up_2:

looks slick :fire:

1 Like

yeah it is :wink:

3 Likes

epic

the link to the skin is in the video description…if you’re interested

1 Like

I used to use abl2 alright. loved it. if I still did I’d defo grab it, haven’t used a computer for music in years tho :frowning:

it’s all pure acid for me atm.

…still?..really…?

hmmmmm…i thought after the 1.million something clone version of this in hard and soft… and after even Big B did it’s another next latest try on it, with lots of fancy colours to pick one, all this should have come to an end…
but here u go… :wink:

and while some who really used the poor original exactly for it’s timeless and iconic poorness for real, stated that especially all the flaws of it’s sequencer where part of it’s special thing, other started to focus on what it is that made it soooo iconic sonicwise…
and focused on that…

if u want the sound…it needs to be simple as fuk, cheap and dirty and truu analog…

for poor 120 bux u can get a little totally unfancy metal box that does exactly this and ONLY this…it’s that clone from MAM…mb - 33…

and these 120 bux, which is official retaiil brand new price and given the fact that in there u’ll find only analog parts and nothing else, should give a final hint what all this actually costs for real to approach it…

stop the hype, guys…open ur ears and ur mind…

plug any sequencer to it and u got ur accciiiiiid in all it’s “beauty”…for real and forever…
stop chasing ghosts…start working…my goodness…

4 Likes

Can people really tell if it’s a clone in the context of a track? does it matter?
I suppose one should get a clone if you really like the workflow, otherwise, it doesn’t matter.

For example, I think the Avalon sound best to my ears and has an interesting workflow and the extra filter cards are pretty cool but the midi implementation of the TB03 is top-notch so I tend to use just that, I don’t think anyone is none the wiser!

3 Likes

I’m sure there’s more difference between two 303s than between some clones and an “average” 303.
As you say, what decides the most is the workflow.

Not in the context of a mix probably, but still in most comparisons the real deal always seems to sound the punchiest and squelchiest. Matters to some people.
In a mix many details don’t matter anymore, that we‘re talking about here all the time

I guess it all depends how into acid one is - what I mean by that is absolutely you can make nice acid on any of the clones, or even other synths, no argument from me.

I’ve been into acid in a big way since I first started making it in the 80’s, I enjoy using different synths for different flavours of acid. I have real 303’s and clones, and other synths.

I don’t see it as any different than using different synths for pads, or different drum machines, each will have its own character.

It is true that some acid lines sound better on some synths than others, as anyone would expect, it does not always have to be a real 303, but sometimes for me it does.

6 Likes

I badly want a Moog small format 3 osc synth, like Minotaur size, but 3 oscs and better modulation… would be killer for moogish acid…

The MFB Kraftzwerg or Synth II might fit that criteria, depending on whether patch points or a sequencer are more valuable to you.

1 Like

Najs!
Synth 2 sounds quite awesome and big. I had kinda bad experience with MFB many years before, bought sequencer in Berlin, it died two years after - I wrote message to Manfred and he replied that it’s just dead and nothing can be done, no support after, sorry, aufwiedersehen… So I a bit avoided to risk with another one, but still it doesn’t affects its sound.

Anyway still want new mini Minimoog from MOOG : )

Sorry again of topic
What about some MS acid?

To make things more on the topic - again - RE303 is the best clone (not a clone = replica : )

1 Like

If you measure goodness in terms of number of butts shaken, the MC-303 is probably king.

1 Like

While you can do great acid with basicly any synthesizer that has a resonant filter, this topic is in y opinion just an endless pit.
From what I tried the best of all is the RE-303, as it look the same, it’s actualy better built than the original, sound right.
On my side I only have a xoxbox (original frist batch from the US) since quite a while and I’ve always been satisfied by how it behave. I would recomend to be carefull when buying one tho as the many later version made by other brands have been poor quality from what I heard.
Anyway I love those acid box !

3 Likes

I bought Pure Acid yesterday… It’s a fantastic app ! It’s very clever. I’m just having trouble with syncing under Live (Logic works fine). In some aspects, it reminds me the great Bassline generator from Reason. I’d dream of a HW generator of this kind, but I doubt it exist.

1 Like

I had lots of fun with my Rubberduck a long time ago, sounded quite convincing too me back then.

abl3 has my vote, very versatile in the sound sculpting department. It can sound authentic or “enhanced”.

I think the behavior of the accent and note ties in relation to the filter and resonance really make that acid sound. And the nasally midrange character of 303 lines cut through a mix like a lead guitar to me. Not very bass-like really, not in a typical sense, too funky and up front.