The Behringer Gear-in-progress Thread

@darenager

Wow that really makes one think twice before buying their products.

1 Like

Tip of the iceberg:

This is by far the most savage and consistently bad Glass Door Iā€™ve ever seen. The RD 808 and D had me interested, but having a shitty sociopathic boss myself Iā€™m boycotting in solidarity!

Meanwhile, at employee-owned Moogā€¦

3 Likes

As mentioned in the factmag curtis article above lots of companies use Behringerā€™s cloned CEM/SSM chips, including many modular manufacters, DSI, Elektron even.
http://www.coolaudio.com/prod-coolaudio-semi.php

The chip-cloning thing doesnā€™t bother me ā€“ how long exactly should patents/copyrights be expected to last? This is old technology. Weā€™re lucky Og doesnā€™t still have a patent on the wheel or weā€™d be fucked.

But treating your workers like shit is not cool, that has me reconsidering my laissez-faire attitude to Behringer.

3 Likes

The thing with theft is most people donā€™t really care about it, until it happens to them. The widow of the designer isnā€™t really in a financial position to be able to stop Behringer from profitting from her late husbands work, whilst getting no royalty payments, and at the same time Behringer are undercutting (through economies of scale) which is of course affecting sales of the original chips which are still being sold by her company. Classy.

3 Likes

Yeah, when itā€™s a widow itā€™s easy to feel sympathy. But would you if it was GE, say, getting the money? The situation of the engineer even owning the IP seems unusual to me, must have been a small company. Most engineers (most workers in general) donā€™t get royalties on things theyā€™ve made, decades after the fact.

I guess my position on it is that it would not be too much for Behringer to have reached out to the company (Curtis) and said ā€˜hey we really like your chips, can we buy someā€™ or ā€˜can we use the design and give you a royalty?ā€™ Rather than just cutting one open and cloning it.

Yes the designer of the chips owned the company, the chip in question the CEM3340 VCO was used in lots of classic synths eg Roland SH-101, Sequential Circuits Pro-One to name a few. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Curtis. https://web.archive.org/web/20071107102822/http://www.keyboardmag.com/article/soul-machine/Apr-07/26710

And given Behringerā€™s past behaviour, how cool would it have been for him to do it right, get the permission for all the chips they cloned, guy would have been a hero.

3 Likes

That would have been nice, yes! And a lot of people would probably have done so if they were in Uliā€™s position, ie if they had his substantial financial resources.
(Canā€™t believe Iā€™m finding myself defending a large, ruthless corpā€¦ IP stuff does get my goat sometimes.)

Yes, I think his position is such that if even a fairly large company like Roland canā€™t touch him then little companies have no chance, I donā€™t think that kind of behaviour is good for the synth community.

2 Likes

Canā€™t believe there is actually someone on this forum backing my opinion on Behringers business practices
High five buddy :raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed:

3 Likes

First, he steals your synth design. Then, he steals your heart.
A434659F-EEF5-4FDB-923F-5832D793CB8F

6 Likes

Oh hubba hubba :heart_eyes:

First he steals your synth design. Then he steals your ladies :joy:

Ryan was referencing the video of DivKid interviewing Pete Sadler from Behringer/Midas about the Behringer Odyssey at Superbooth 18.

I am pretty sure Korg licensed it from ARP and the original designer and cofounder of ARP, David Friend, who was also employed in the creation of the Korg ARP Odyssey series.

If they are licensed and authorized producer of the Odyssey, Itā€™s possible Korg could have action they could take against Behringer. On the other hand Behringer has to be deep in lawyers, who approved this, deep in lawyers if for the only reason that you need a truckload of lawyers to run a major international business.

But also

from my own personal experience going up against a corrupt and predatory corporation, and i donā€™t know this to be true of the Behringer Tribe ā€“ but practically the whole board of directors were lawyers. It follows when a company skirts law and ethics, and makes their survival by cheating customers, employes and stock-holders that they are deep with the shiftier side of legal practice. I actually think Behringer is no where near these levels of corruptness.

Iā€™m just curious what the incentive for creating/buying this item.

Martin Shkreli, the Uli Behringer of pharmaceuticals.

1 Like

I know this is hyperbole and thatā€™s OK by me. But Martin Shkreli was found guilty and is headed to prison pending appeal. Itā€™s been said that people died, not being able to afford life saving drugs because of him.

Uli would be more like in the outer ring suburbs of the circles of hell. (Hyperbole here my own.)

1 Like

I guess to be fair to Uli, if one needed life saving drugs and an analog Model D, his low, low prices make it that much more attainable.

2 Likes

Hadnā€™t quite thought of it like that. Yup. And Martin would be out of business as a synth manufacturer.

1 Like