The Behringer Gear-in-progress Thread

But the problems cited are over now aren’t they?

Apparently, no. People, like the head of IBM, are saying it could take until 2024 for things to normalize. You’ll have to do more reading if you want to know all the specifics.

2 Likes

Hmmm. Ive always been a sceptic. But it seems a long time to normalize.

We are so far from normal market situation. Even without Ukraine crisis the whole industry is struggeling. It’s not only the chips that are delayed. Raw materials and whole industry areas are not able to deliver. In one of my projects we have a delay of 10 months getting coolers and foam material. It WILL take years until everything is normalized. And this is without regarding how this Ukraine thing will evolve!

2 Likes

Sounds tough going. A right old mess. :tired_face:

Behringer has considered taking in the production of digital parts that are in short supply. Companies like Apple and Ford Motor Company, have or are the process of doing so. But setting up the machinery necessary for the larger digital parts is extremely expensive. Behringer says it would be 2 - 3 billion dollars, well beyond their resources. ( Source : their Facebook page. ) Building these sorts of manufacturing facilities also takes a long time, 3 or more years.

Behringer does manufacture their own component electronics at CoolAudio. These though are analog parts, far smaller, less detailed circuitry, and far less expensive to manufacture.

CoolAudio

3 Likes

Perhaps someone at Behringer saw your posts. They have already changed the name. They also changed to a Type C USB connector, and are getting feedback on four variations of the keybed color, and removed the Behringer logo from the top. Here’s one image, see their FB page for the other three, or to give feedback.

Another comment from them perhaps is related to the recent jumbling of threads done here. I wish we were allowed to have a single thread in this forum, specific to the discussion of the three new semi-modulars – the Model 15, the 2-XM, and the Proton.

=-=-=-=-=-=

Behringer’s open design process is so different from those taken by an ASM or a Novation. Companies like ASM have a strict rule of designing in secret, never teasing a product, and only announcing when the finished product has been manufactured and is ready to be sold. Behringer in contrast, cycles the designs and product ideas openly in a public forum, even taking initial ideas for a product itself. Some people say that is to generate buzz, but i believe it truly is to improve their products, and their product design cycle.

7 Likes

I have a thousand mini USB cables but I will be happy to ditch them for USB-c.

Also it is so much better to have a USB power connection instead of wall warts and worrying about the right barrel size, polarity, etc.

6 Likes

Well let’s see if this net-fu works … :alien:

No squiggly fonts
Just say no

4 Likes

Regarding the chip shortage - I did wonder if there might be a solution by adding a ‘cartridge’ system to synths , so you could plug in the chip across multiple synths.

But that would add additional size / manufacturing costs to add a cartridge port. And a lot of other issues.

But … they could’ve shipped multiple synths and only the need for 1 x ‘arm chip cartridge’

1 Like

holy shit, i could really use a pd synth at the moment. in fact, all of those synthesis engines are on my Elektron SYNTAKT wishlist

1 Like

20 Likes

8 Likes

Somewhere in amongst all the cloning and knock offs there’s a genuinely innovative and clever company. This will fly off the shelves.

9 Likes

Yup, somebody put a lot of thought into that (Behringer or not, I assume Behringer and that it’s not a clone in this case).

Been waiting for BCR32. Is there any info about when it be released?

I imagine the answer has a lot to do with chip availability. Like all of these products.

Yeah I guess so. Just wondered if Behringer has set any date for the release.

Additionally Russia-Ukraine Conflict Could Affect Semiconductor Gas Supply Long-Term | 2022-02-22 | ASSEMBLY

Feedback is fine but really good design isn’t done by committee. It may be against their principles but Behringer should employ (and empower) a graphic designer so these hideous mock-ups don’t go into production with obviously clumsy graphics and proportions.

It’s telling when a tiny company like Tangible Waves is actually nailing it.

The BCR32 looks relatively ok. Because they’re is little to get wrong. But still; wtf is that brand logo on the front panel aligning with? Why is there space to the right of the encoder block etc? * sigh *

5 Likes