The Behringer Gear-in-progress Thread

You can properly see the build quality differences in those pictures.

Just checked prices online for the Moog one: absolutely insane. I remember deciding against buying one years ago as I decided £250 was too much.

Delays have come a long way since though, has anyone really been clamoring for one of these that much?

2 Likes

Update for the LM Drum:

Many of you asked about an update of our LM DRUM Drum Machine / Sampler.
We have now completed the revision B hardware design, which we hope will be the last one. As you can see from the PCBs below, this machine has two very powerful H7 and F3 ARM processors, which are the exact chips, that are in global short supply. However this doesn’t prevent our engineers from working on the firmware and we’re happy to share that we’re at around 80% completion rate. Most functions are fully implemented and working.
We obviously don’t have a release date or price yet.
We have 7 teams working on over 50 synths and drum machines, but it’s fair to say that the LM DRUM is one of our most exciting and anticipated products, ever.

6 Likes

I think certain items gain a reputation as the best-of-type. You see it all the time with discontinued products.

Oh, they’re selling the prototype?

3 Likes

I also passed up the change of a cheap(er) original, but I do have the ring mod, Freqbox and CP-251, and they’re very cleary well-engineered and built devices, whcih is part of their appeal - they’re reliable and a joy to use, and what you get is arguably more than just a label. But I certainly wouldn’t pay current asking prices for any of the orignials now, and Moog have clearly moved on, so let Behringer pass their research and design savings on to the consumer.

They are taking feedback on whether to do a rare one, the ARP Avatar. Interesting choice.

The final synth from ARP ( other than if you consider the Chroma as being from ARP ), that while Odyssey like, was intended as a guitar synth, included a pitch to voltage converter and a hexaphonic pickup connector. This presents a challenge to engineer properly to get it dependable, but a lot easier than when this synth was originally made in 1977.

Behringer could consider making a hexaphonic guitar to sell with this. Obviously you can add / modify this sort of pickup onto many electric guitars, if you are careful to get good separation.

The Avatar could also be used without a guitar, like with a keyboard.

The synth part of this is very much like the Odyssey, so Behringer have a leg up on that already. I suppose this could mostly be done with a good guitar pitch to MIDI converter and a regular Odyssey as well.

I’m thinking the Avatar might not be the synth to recreate, but as a place to start from with some new ideas added, that might be interesting.

Hmm ? Polyphony ? MPE or poly-aftertouch MIDI ? A different synth engine ? Lots of possibilities for variation here.

ideally this builds on the sequencer of the rd9 , adds full midi spec (as this has been added to their recent synths) , and then the extras of sampling / editing / trimming etc for a drum sampler.
a few fx, analog filter ? , midi , cv/clock out …

i’m quite happy with sample packs of old 12bt/whatever drum machines… not sure this one is for me but i think easy access to the mixer sliders makes it good for performance… if theyre motorized then its even better (but unlikely)

Behringer is looking for feedback on these other pedal designs too.

These are only proposals to get feedback.

2 Likes

agreed, interesting choice… didn’t most people purchase the Avatar strictly to use it as an Odyssey module, without paying Odyssey prices? with already making a cheap Odyssey… why bother? but I guess since you have the Arp circuits, might as well make the most of them…?

where did I say that? :face_with_monocle:

Often prototypes, particularly early ones, are a little rough. That usually doesn’t matter,

2 Likes

As a Digitakt user that LM Drum should be a breeze to adjust to.

4 Likes

Very true, and not many for that either. Hexaphonic guitar pickups were not common then, and they’re still not super common. You need single tones to get good pitch to voltage.

The Avatar is rather rare.

calling the Boogerfooger “ugly” is a hilarious unintentional diss of the Moogerfooger, which looks identical. CV jacks need to go on the front though - admittedly that would be ugly but useful

3 Likes

The originals look great, yeah.

There are a dozen little details Behringer have missed which add up to a rather bastardly look. If you can’t see it, good for you I guess. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Besides the wood and the logo? I’ve got an MF102, not seeing any meaningful difference. I see your backhanded slight there though :wink:

2 Likes

First of all the proportions and the screws on the sides. Plus the knobs, the placement of pots and jacks, the rocker switch, the push buttons, the jacks, the silk screening, the power socket.

FWIW, I don’t own much Behringer gear, but this is built like a tank (unlike the older stuff), so I imagine the Moog ones would be solid as well and I’d certainly try the filter one. I’m not looking for a museum quality replica, just a cool circuit to try.

The other thing is that I have a number of cool old cheap Japanese clones of circuits from the 1970s. With clones, part of the charm is the differences from the original circuit.

I recently watched this great video on the Juno chorus clone and the reviewer basically concludes it didn’t nail the original. The new one distorts and is more lofi. That sounds to me like characteristics that often end up making for cool evolutions of classic circuits and subtle differences are why I would be interesting in buying something like an old 1970s Dynacomp knockoff.

If you want an exact version of the original you can still buy the original, but there are some things you’d be happier with a less-than-perfect knockoff for $100 than with a $1000 original. For instance, I have zero interest in an old Juno chorus at any price and would never seek one out (as it’s not a core sound for me). But if I found a used one of these for $30-40, I’d probably give it a go and think it might be fun for the occasional tune.

(FYI: I realize that the goal for many is to keep all topics laser focused, but these conversations develop organically and is in response to all of the criticism, so it is what it is).

6 Likes

Timbre Behr

8 Likes

This is April fool joke. Why would they bother replicating the crap timbre wolf.:joy:

4 Likes

:joy: I was a little disappointed by the lack of April Fools chat but that’s a belter!