The Behringer Gear-in-progress Thread

That sh5 photo has a lot of temporary stickers / labels on it … maybe that is making it look untidy.

1 Like

Agree, especially if you zoom in the picture and start to examine the look in details…
I guess the same will happen sound wise…

Would take Roland SyS 500 any day to get “modern classic” Roland sounds.

1 Like

Malekko/Roland did it with the euro rack 500 series version of the SH5 filter. there’s probably others as well. how authentic the circuit design is to the original, I don’t know. I would think it’s absolutely possible though.

Yeah, at its basic level you could use an (well, a pair of) OTA’s as a voltage controlled resistors in place of the cutoff pot. Again, something similar could be employed for the resonance amount. That would keep the rest of the circuit the same. But in terms of filters it’s quite a straight forward affair. That’s not a judgement of its sonic qualities btw! It would be interesting to see how others added cv control.

And as a matter of fact, and venturing toward off-topic, G-Storm Electro just announced a Eurorack SH5 Filter. As it happens G-Storm, kind of known for putting classic parts of older synths in Eurorack, just dropped their 2600 oscillator product. They knew the gig was up, with Behringer bringing out the same thing. (The Behringer model is prettier, for those tuned in to that.)

They said, and i quote from the article i linked:
On the bright side, this will free me up to develop new and exciting designs.

As has been said elsewhere the smaller companies that have made their market niche in the one Behringer now controls need to find a new niche.

Behringer Syncussion SY-1

Keeping up the tempo, another new prototype from Behringer. Important to note this is prototype only, no guarantee this ever becomes real.

A two channel drum synth with the low level controls all laid out in front of you, in a useful and primitive way. Recreation of the 1979 Pearl Syncussion, redone in the large Eurorack format that Behringer seems to like – another one for the Behringer wall of synths if they ever do go ahead with the manufacture of this.

You can read more in this Gearnews article.

If you don’t think this is worth having in steel, there’s always Dataline’s Sound Pack of the Syncussion.

EDIT: Fixed broken link to image.

ADDED : January 2022. Behringer says on their Facebook forum, that they have completed the engineering on the SY-1, taking three revisions to get the sound just right. They also say they have secured access to the components needed to manufacture this, and are in process to go into production. No word on exactly when, nor the price, so stay tuned.

This is an interesting unusual sort of product. I’ve got to say that this approach of producing these functional bedrock sort of musical devices, has gained an appeal with me that i had not expected.

I’ve started a thread for this.

3 Likes

I would love to see this remake of the Syncussion come to fruition! Excited about the SH-5 clone too.

(Ha. I have never really checked this thread because I thought it was about Behringer fx boxes for synths. Maybe a title change to “Behringer Synth & FX thread”? Just a friendly suggestion.) :smiley:

2 Likes

Hope OP is happy with my reworking which seems apt

5 Likes

First Behringer remake/clone/knockoff/whatever that had me slightly interested, but that size… Ugh. I wonder what it will cost though.

Might as well go for the Michigan Synth Works SY0.5 reissue/recreation/shabubu instead. It’s smaller and has cool modulation features.

2 Likes

My guess entirely, but Behringer sells their Wasp Deluxe synth for $200 USD, so that or less i’d say.

Good suggestion on the option of getting two of the Michigan Synth Works modules instead, i love their stuff.

2 Likes

Ouch ! Insta-buy.

1 Like

Nice for peeps who have been waiting for that I guess.

2018, when I submitted the post that you quoted, was a different time, on so many levels. Did we know about Osmose yet back then? I forgot. I certainly had no idea that Prophet 5 Rev. 4 was in the works.

The in-progress Behringer gear that might interest me today would be the Pro 800.

Thi may also interest me. I’m not getting a “this was posted already” warning, so blame the forum software, not me.

The Gearnews article for the Polivoks is posted here.

What didn’t get posted in this thread was the tease for the Behringer version of the RSF Kobol. Unfortunately all the photos i could find of that are “obscured by props”.

Here’s an article on it in SynthAnatomy.

This is another synth using the hinged keyboard format that Behringer has. So that makes four now – the Monopoly, the Poly-D, the MS-5, and now the Kobol.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Something i’ve been considering for a week or so now, about this glut of “new” synths from Behringer, is how valuable many of them are to those with a visual impairment. Synths without screens and menus, with switches you can feel, and usually having one to one controls that you can feel, rocker switches, sliders and knobs, perhaps changing the knobs with ones with more tactile feedback. Plug connectors like on some Eurorack can work too, if it’s not too complicated, so the plug matrix on the Neutron is not good.

So good for instance is the Model D. The Kobol looks like it would be good too, if the LED press switches can be accommodated somehow.

ADDED: The Syncussion would be great in this way too.

Ok, bug report for the forum software then. It’s supposed to catch repost attempts.

Hey, at least I made an effort

Behringer Pro-16

Since Sequential has themselves revived the Prophet 5 and Prophet 10, this from Behringer is much more of an encroachment. Sixteen voices though apparently. This has been in the pipeline for a while, but who knows when and if this becomes real.

The article also talks about the Jupiter 8 recreation.

During the summer Behringer had a stretch where they announced something new practically every day. It’s been quiet for a while but with the surprise announcement of the Edge, i wonder if we may be running into another spate of announcements from them.

There are certainly a lot of bigger products stacked up and ready to land, not to mention the possibilities of a slew of more Eurorack modules. And there are also the likely arrival of the unexpected. ( Well more copies can be expected, it’s just we don’t know what gets copied next. )

The larger products on the way:

• Syncussion
  • Pro 800
  • Pro 16
  • PPG Wave
  • Synthi VCX3
  • LinnDrum
  • RSF Kobol
  • Roland SH-5
  • Polivoks
  • Yamaha CS-80 with Poly-aftertouch keyboard
  • Roland Jupiter 8
  • UB-Xa
  • Oberheim Two Voice

There was also less definite talk of the Yamaha DX1, which would be incredible if real. Also real possibilities of a DX7. The Korg Trident ? The Moog Prodigy ? The ARP Quadra ? The RSF Polykobol 2 ?

Is it possible there is also some originals on the way too ? Behringer did hire with that goal in mind.

There are even sketchier rumors, i’m sticking to stuff that we can more likely expect. Check up thread here for discussion of some of the stuff i’ve put in this post.

Now obviously it is going to take some time for even part of this list to happen. The pandemic has no doubt slowed some of this down, though all the people they have hired have been very busy.

Look forward to some more fireworks coming up.

2 Likes

Behringer ( perhaps with the help of Bob Keeble ) have done a proto of the ARP 1601 sixteen step sequencer, and are showing it on-line. They are wondering about interest in this as a product.

This would go with their 2600 replica, but this also could be used with any of their other semi-modulars. Behringer also has their 1027, 960, 182, and soon the BCR32 sequencers.

Here’s a short article in SynthAnatomy.

4 Likes

fo’sho … make it blue already … can’t be doing with those coloured Leds

2 Likes

Get with the now.

1 Like
7 Likes