The Behringer era

It is clear to me that you have bought into Behringer’s side, which is entirely up to you, I don’t though.

I do however agree that Robin Whittle was being unrealistic in his negotiations, but it still doesn’t mean that his design can just be taken. There are plenty of 303 mods possible aside from the Devilfish ones, why not just do those instead? These are in the public domain and freely available to find. Seems like he wants the “prestige” of Devilfish name but not able to come to an agreement, so just goes ahead anyway. The better course of action would be to come up with different mods and call it something else.

Anyway, I’m done on this topic for now.

1 Like

I’m fine with alot of the stuff Behringer does. But they also does some stuff that just rubs me the wrong way. Like that rushed 2600 teaser video they launched at Namm. It just looked like a desperate attempt to steal Korg’s “thunder”.

I am not bought into Behringer’s side at all. The only pieces of Behringer gear I own is an old dusty BCF2000 and the Crave.
In the end its cold hard business! It’s the only way to survive in this highly volatile and competitive market.

Legally! Uli doesn’t need to come to any agreements with anyone, not even Robin Whittle, since he is simply a modder of the TB-303, which is originally designed and made by Roland!

The fact that Uli goes out of his way to actually try to approach the original designers and get them involved. As long as they can come to a reasonable agreement. You can’t dispute that.
And after the whole fallout with Robin Whittle, it’s far from certain Behringer would even bother now with a Devilfish edition of the TB-303.
It’s a very niche market anyway, so if I were Uli, after this whole ordeal, I wouldn’t even bother anymore. There is plenty of other gear and stuff that can be made.

For me, the only Behringer gear on my wish list, is maybe the Deepmind 12D, unless they finally announce the Jupiter-8 or CS-80 clone. Now those would be clones I would definitely be interested in, since the originals are far out of my budget range lol.
Also… their upcoming Modular gear is highly interesting and might snatch up a few modules when they finally become available.

PS. As response to them closing existing gear. I guess you mean the ARP 2600 clone they are working on.
Well that one has been cloned by others over the years and KORG’s new ARP2600 is 5-6000 dollars. Way out of most people’s budget range and will only be a 500 unit production run, which is already sold out I believe. So I highly doubt KORG is having sleepness nights about Behringer’s cloning attempt. :wink:

1 Like

@thomaso They didn’t steal Korg thunder, as for one they already teased it last year before summer.

Second, Behringer’s teaser might have actually helped KORG, since they pretty much sold out the pre-orders for their limit run 2600. All the stores around here, have already removed the pre-order page. They are sold out.

I mean philosophically, not necessarily the products you own.

And I didn’t, did I? I even said RW was being unrealistic.

Agree.

Also the Odyssey, MS-20 too, and the copies of tiptop and moog case designs, to name a few.

Anyway, really done on this topic for now.

1 Like

at this Point you should buy yourself a neutron to run your ordered model:cycles through the synth structure and you‘ll never step back.

it’s such an inspiring Synthesizer. even under the hood with the editor features.

1 Like

@darenager No hard feelings lol :blush::+1:t2:

When it comes to Odyssey and MS-20 clones… those are a bit strange releases by Behringer indeed. I can agree on that.
Especially since they are so closely priced to the MS-20 mini and Korg’s Odessey rev3, that I would just buy the original. Since they will hold better 2nd hand value over the years as opposed to clones.
The only advantage Behringer’s K-2 has over the MS-20 is that you can take it out of the casing and mount it inside a Eurorack.

When it comes to the new Behringer Eurorack cases. There I feel like people become a bit silly now and try to find literally anything to attack them on.
Have you actually taken a look on Thomann for example and did a search for Eurorack cases? So many cases look alike.
I mean…there aren’t that many ways to design a Eurorack case.
In the end its just a metal/wooden/plastic box with rails in it and a power supply, so you can mount your Eurorack gear in it. Lol!

1 Like

No hard feelings from me either :+1:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_eurorack_104.htm

Yeah probably just coincidence :wink:

3 Likes

Lol sorry, but you can find other examples on the net too.

I mean, how would you otherwise design a three tier case that has a 90 degree angle, so it can stand flush on a table against the wall?

They are also not exactly the same dimensions.
The Behringer one is specifically made to fit the Neutron, Model-D and Pro-1 synths.

While the Moog three tier case is specifically made for multiple Moog Mother 32’s for example.

You cannot fit anything else in it.

The first case is just a generic Eurorack kind of case you can find clones from so many manufacturers everywhere.

PS. That Behringer 3-tier case was actually a hotly requested item by their community who wanted such a case to mount their Neutrons, Pro-1s, Model-Ds in.
So is it wrong from Behringer to listen to their customers and give them what they want? Whish more companies would do that!

…now I am getting exhausted too. So gonna stop lol. :laughing:

1 Like

and if you look into the details they didn‘t clone the case because of the depth, if you have thick modules (in terms of pcbs behind the front panel) that won‘t fit into the behringer case you can buy the one from Moog. it’s all fair i guess

pleaze get a neutron or crave and calm. :call_me_hand:

Fixed

2 Likes

Well I am very happy with my Crave aka Mother32 clone. One is 180 bucks, the other is 800 bucks.

I love some of Moog’s gear, but a lot of it is ridiculously overpriced! You should see the 2nd hand market here. Lot of Moog Mother32 for sale and people have trouble selling it, unless they drop the price to less than half of the new price to get rid of it. Like 350-400 bucks tops to be able to sell these 2nd hand.
Just shows you not many are willing the pay 800 bucks for what is basically a 1 VCO mono synth.

Moog’s pricing is just all over the place with a lot of their synths. Though, the Grandmother for example, is much more reasonably priced. You can get these for 900 bucks new!
To put it into context. That is just 100 bucks more than the Mother32 and packs a ton more features and hell lot more capabilities!

That is why I never bought the Mother32… was tempted for years, but just couldn’t stomach paying that much for it. Almost bought one 2nd hand for 400 bucks, but then came along the Crave from Behringer. :slight_smile:

The Grandmother on the other hand… that is an awesome beast. Was on my purchase list to buy this month, but then I couldn’t help myself and went for the Analog Four Mk2 first.
So the Grandmother has to wait now lol.

1 Like

haters will search for things to hate on.

i sold a lot of my recent Synths because I thought Synthesizers had to be expensive to be good but I always sticked to my OP-1 and wasn‘t happy with the Analogs from Korg because eh…let me think…cheap quality and noise where no noise should happen especially when you can‘t control it musically.
Same with the ARP from Korg but on the other hand the Neutron combo keeps everything inspirational! and quiet.

Elektron introduces model:cycles ok cool sounds but what about patching a bit and boom Analog FM with full ADSR and 4 LFO outputs on 1 Neutron all of that immediately available and even expandable on the same unit.

you can‘t ignore the spec sheets and @darenager you‘re such a talented modder so I can‘t understand why you don‘t want a cheap playground with a massive user network.

Thanks @JohnnyEgo

Yeah like I said before the Neutron is probably the most interesting synth Behringer have done, and ironically it is their own design!

Surely if they were not just shitting out quick cash in clones all the time the engineers could be put to work designing more original and interesting stuff, kind of sad they don’t IMHO.

Even so, I won’t be buying any Behringer stuff, primarily because of their practices but also because it would be hypocritical of me to put my issues aside just for a cheap synth. I think the Pro-One, and the new Eurorack modules actually look very decent too FWIW.

4 Likes

i dont know, if this has been uploaded yet, but its doing quite opposite to what devil fish once was… https://textuploader.com/16l0e?fbclid=IwAR1vo2hCsYUzC-D_Uy1J1kfnNSngNo0q1Zfcd53gkyUnTf6celiQxY-Cei0

1 Like

@darenager The thing is. Behringer is actually listening to the community and releasing products people want and have been asking for years.

Can you honestly blame Behringer for actually listening and releasing products people want?

Like it or not! People “want” these clones! People have been asking Roland for years to re-release the TR-808, TR-909 and TB-303! And instead of listening, Roland just dropped the ball and only bothered to release cheap digital miniature versions of it at a premium price.

Behringer listened and actual released true analog recreations of the TR-808 and TB-03 and even managed sneak in some handy improvements and extras.
The market speaks for itself, as Behringer can’t produce these fast enough to meet demand.

In this example, there is only one to blame and that is Roland themselves for messing up the opportunity and leave it wide open for a competitor like Behringer to step in and do what the market wanted! Not to mention releasing these at a price people can afford!

I too like the original stuff Behringer released as well, like the Neutron and Deepmind 12.
I actually wanted to buy the Neutron, instead of the Crave at first, but the Neutron was on back-order some time and the Crave came back in stock first. So impatient me bought the Crave. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

This thread is making me consider getting a Crave or neutron. What do we recommend folks?

I would get the Neutron. I love my Crave to bits, but the Neutron has two of the same 3340 VCO chips and more wave shapes. So you can simply do a lot more with it sound designing wise due to the two VCO’s and extra wave shapes. It’s an incredible semi-modular synth that can be fully integrated with other gear like Euro-rack and/or with your Elektron gear.

I probably end up selling my Crave again down the road and replace it with the Neutron myself. (or hook them together for a 3 VCO monster lol)

1 Like

I agree Jeronan, but you’ll probably need a sequencer with the Neutron. The Crave already comes with one.

But i’m getting off topic saying nice things about Behringer. :grin:

2 Likes

but this is an Elektron forum, I would assume Gir has an Elektron machine already and thus a sequencer? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes