The Beethoven Challenge

Pretty simple and straight forward:

Create a piece without listening to it at all until is baked into an mp3 and uploaded here.

5 Likes

i think i‘m in, when‘s the deadline?

1 Like

Great idea!

1 Like

I think he didn’t hear you!

5 Likes

No deadline. This challenge is eternal, like Beethoven.

4 Likes

I mean, whenever you feel is time to give a try to this, that will be the right time.

If something more specific… let’s say 1 month?

But I think this could be something permanently open, like I answer to @Jeanne

1 Like

6 Likes

are we allowed to listen as we create through a LPF ( Ludwig Pass Filter) at 80Hz?

3 Likes

Isn’t the Ludwig Pass Filter an all-reject filter? Or does it pass frequencies below 80Hz?

It is believed he lost his hearing due to lead poisoning from lead plates, Lead Plates Filter…
He started hearing less in his 20s and didnt loose it fully untill around his 40s.

“A common question is how Beethoven continued composing without his hearing, but this likely wasn’t too difficult. Music is a language, with rules. Knowing the rules of how music is made, he could sit at his desk and compose a piece of music without hearing it.”
https://www.californiasymphony.org/composer/beethoven/the-whole-story-of-beethovens-deafness/

1 Like

I think this hugely ignores the fact that he could hear it in his head. This wasn’t stabbing in the dark. When you’ve done enough ear training you can hear melodies, chords and rythmns on a page so there’s not as much difference having full hearing or not.

1 Like

Yes, of course. But that only works if you are born hearing and later losing it. Me myself is neither near seeing notes, and hearing it in my head nor hearing music and seeing notes :slight_smile:

This thread reminded me of this lady.

Glennie has been profoundly deaf since the age of 12, having started to lose her hearing at the age of 8.This does not inhibit her ability to perform. She regularly plays barefoot during live performances and studio recordings to feel the music

2 Likes