The art of production: Rrose

Fascinating interview.

A few highlights for me:

“Then there’s the thing I talked about before about creating music that is its own entity, that exists outside of myself to some extent. It’s like putting a chemical reaction in motion and watching what takes place. So the approach changed from putting personal expression first to discovering things about sound. Now I consciously work with very basic building blocks of sound.”

“I also try and avoid the “here’s my drum machine, here’s my drum loop with my kick and hi-hat and here’s my synth sound, and here’s my atmospheric pad sound, and now I’m arranging my song” type of approach. I try to really steer clear of that way of producing dance music. I start with very simple components and the structure is all about how they can morph over time in this gradual sense.”

20 Likes

I also really enjoyed reading that. Really insightful and a very interesting process.

First thing I did was open Live and try out these techniques. Can’t wait to experiment with these on hardware synths.

Imo, a more interesting read than the music itself. I pretty much always find that though, reading reviews, descriptions/situations. Enjoy the stories and discussion much more.

3 Likes

Really interesting read! Big fan of Nancarrow and its always interesting to see whose been inspired by him, another interesting one is A.G Cook who said he has a big Nancarrow influence. Henry Cow are also one of my favourite bands so crazy jealous of anyone who has got to work with Fred Frith.

1 Like

:sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Fantastic read! Super interesting stuff (in a very geeky way), and I liked the interview style, really well done… Might be interesting to try sampling some of the avant garde tracks linked in the article, too.

1 Like

This way of doing sound design reminded me of this:

Clearly a big Henry Cowell influence as well with the discussion of the relationship between pitch and rhythm. Very cool.

1 Like

I thought this maybe deserved a topic as I’ve spoken to a few people on here about how good Rrose is before and I’ve even apparently discussed with @jdaddyaz how a masterclass from them would be great! (Deals -- Perennial List of Things on Sale - GAS Warning! - #2590 by tdmusic)

There’s a recording on a new(?) site called Echio of Rrose breaking down the track “Spore” from their new album and answering questions: https://www.echio.co/artist/rrose.

The track breakdown lasts maybe 20-30 minutes, it’s actually a pretty simple track in a technical sense, but I found it inspiring to see how simple the session was and learn more about their working method. The Q&A has some pretty interesting questions in too.

It costs $20 for enough tokens to watch the session, which I thought was worthwhile. You’ll have enough token spare change left over to get this Luke Slater one too, which I’ve not watched yet: https://www.echio.co/video/PJic1O9K8RuyWaT6mbXb. TBH I am happy to support these kinds of endeavours and hopefully help make artist’s careers sustainable!

7 Likes

Yes, this is a great breakdown! I watched it live and asked one of the questions. Rrose is fantastic and it was interesting to learn that this track was created just with paulstretch and stock Ableton plugins & samples – yet another reminder that it’s the artist, not the gear, that makes great music.

3 Likes

Oh nice! Would have been fun to join live and ask questions but I couldn’t make it. Glad it was posted for replay. These kinds of sessions can be a mixed bag I find, but this one was really enlightening and inspiring.

Nitpick, I’m not sure if they used PaulStretch but they did use DroneMaker from Soundmagic Spectral - Michael Norris, Composer. Try it out, instant Rrose :joy:

1 Like

The Luke Slater one (which is 300 credits so a good way to use up the left over after buying Rrose assuming you bought 2000) seems pretty good so far too, I’m half way through. Again he’s talking about simplicity/restrictions but from a slightly different angle.

I’ve picked up a few really inspiring things I want to try from both videos, maybe quite simple stuff but I find sometimes you need reminding to keep it simple, so I really recommend them to techno heads!

Just droping these links for @korpinen :wink:

This is the live which open the door to Rrose universe, to me. And to a certain form of techno, somehow.

8 Likes