That RYTM 1.70 Sound

7 Likes

Renoise + slicemate from tools.renoise.com , maybe?

You’ve replied 3 times to Elekktrikk in this particular topic!
A great discussion includes many voices and perspectives. Can you get anybody else involved?

wow rude, discourse-bot! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Risking a ticket by the discourse-bot: :sweat_smile:

Thanks a lot, will try that. :smiley::+1: Am in a tracker phase anyhow.

1 Like

I typically skip things called “techno,” - no offense anyone, seriously.

But I am glad I didn’t skip this. Nice stuff. Really love that tappy / ear candy quality the Rytm can get.

2 Likes

I’m the same actually, clicking on something listed as Techno is really hit and miss, i guess as it’s such a varied and wide genre. Its popularity has not been kind to it.

Glad you did click and enjoyed it though, thanks. :purple_heart:

1 Like

Very true. I’d even consider Pan Sonic techno and I like them a lot. Genres are a stupid but necessary evil sometimes.

Btw. I didn’t realize you were that guy (expect resistance.) - You should know that I sold my Rytm a year or so back for a Syntakt and I told my algo not to recommend you any more so I wouldn’t get Rytm sale regret GAS.

Well I have a beautiful grey mk2 in front of me as of today anyways and now I have a treasure trove worth of your vids to go back and work through.

4 Likes

For sure, Pan Sonic definitely dip into the techno world. I like most electronic stuff if it’s doing something interesting, even some that’s not. Genres are a love/hate for sure.

Haha, the algorithm never listens. Still, if i was to hope anything, it’s that any box, grey or otherwise, can be inspiring. Although nothing wrong with having a Rytm if it brings you something.

The new OS1.70 should be a fun one now you have a Rythm again. Grey too! I think I’m finally preferring grey myself actually.

I do most of the ER videos, although occasionally we have others do some, which is fun. Thanks for digging in.

2 Likes

Got a new video done, exploring some Pulse Width modulation, the modulation section with pitch, velocities etc and using the new SY CHIP square wave and PW modulation, which is a really great addition to the Rytm. Very keen to dig more into this new synth.

I really struggled previously to balance multiple synths in the Rytm, but since the new OS 1.70, things are just so fluid and familiar to me being a Roland SH-101 and similar. The square wave sounds great, the saw is sweet, yeah, happy.

I swear this grey box even looks different now too :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Anyway, two long improvised jams, one at the beginning, then some waffle/chat in the middle, and finally a different jam at the end of the video, should you wanna skip ahead.

13 Likes

First thing w update (and a new to me Rytm)

Not too many new engines, but kick is AC and the main lead is Cowbell with the new tweaks.

I’m mostly happy to have my Rytm back.

19 Likes

I love it!

1 Like

that cowbell lead straight out of MGMT song!

2 Likes

Update aside, it feels damn good to have my Rytm back.

One more for the dirt lovers. All new engines this time.

And a last one because my neighbors are starting to hate me.

I am so happy to have this box back. My time with Syntakt was great but this thing is an absolute beast and really feels like an instrument you have to master. 4th times a charm?

I’m ready to finally grok the perf/scenes and make them a part of my sound.

39 Likes

Those last two beats are badass :metal: :space_invader: :metal:

1 Like

These sound great!!! Nice one. Glad you’re enjoying the Rytm once again. I think I thought about parting with mine as many times as you did before i found a way to enjoy it. OS1.70 makes it a much easier decision.

Get ready to bend those fingers white pushing those Perf/Scene buttons, but well worth it. :black_heart:

1 Like

Thanks yo.

Back when I had my other Rytm’s I wanted to make a custom fader bank to use the perfs.

It might be time to revisit that idea. (I know solutions like fader fox exist, but when you have access to DIY / RND tech, you might as well use it heh.)

1 Like

Yeah definitely, also as much as I would also love a FaderFox, they are pretty £££

Jam 1 of 2, no specific challenge, just exploring the possibilities:

This is a short jam of today where I wanted to explore possibilities of this machine further.

Stock samples and drum synthesis. Not so easy to make the base drum not too strong because there is no bandpass filter after the first analog filter of each instrument. (That’s easily fixable by running single outs through a mixing desk or via overbridge through different audio channels with EQ in ableton, however, this was a minimal setup - what you hear is more or less what you hear through the headphones output.)

7 Likes

Here is the other one:

That’s the other pattern of today. A short jam to explore the possibilities of the machine. It’s a 4 to the floor techno with a classical rave stab sample and some 909 ride, all stock samples.

8 Likes

I haven’t had time to make music in a while, but got excited about the new os. My first tune with the updated rytm. I think I am most grateful for the improved calibration and surprised that I had to slop up the tuning on unison synths.

31 Likes

Hell yeah. So glad to hear something else from ya.

Your videos first gave me hope that the Rytm could be balanced and not turn to mush. It’s even easier post update.

Love the dump of random WIPs “purge” you did too. Great idea.

Great bends here. I need to mess with parameter slides. And that outro!

2 Likes