That RYTM 1.70 Sound

These sound great!!! Nice one. Glad you’re enjoying the Rytm once again. I think I thought about parting with mine as many times as you did before i found a way to enjoy it. OS1.70 makes it a much easier decision.

Get ready to bend those fingers white pushing those Perf/Scene buttons, but well worth it. :black_heart:

1 Like

Thanks yo.

Back when I had my other Rytm’s I wanted to make a custom fader bank to use the perfs.

It might be time to revisit that idea. (I know solutions like fader fox exist, but when you have access to DIY / RND tech, you might as well use it heh.)

1 Like

Yeah definitely, also as much as I would also love a FaderFox, they are pretty £££

Jam 1 of 2, no specific challenge, just exploring the possibilities:

This is a short jam of today where I wanted to explore possibilities of this machine further.

Stock samples and drum synthesis. Not so easy to make the base drum not too strong because there is no bandpass filter after the first analog filter of each instrument. (That’s easily fixable by running single outs through a mixing desk or via overbridge through different audio channels with EQ in ableton, however, this was a minimal setup - what you hear is more or less what you hear through the headphones output.)

7 Likes

Here is the other one:

That’s the other pattern of today. A short jam to explore the possibilities of the machine. It’s a 4 to the floor techno with a classical rave stab sample and some 909 ride, all stock samples.

8 Likes

I haven’t had time to make music in a while, but got excited about the new os. My first tune with the updated rytm. I think I am most grateful for the improved calibration and surprised that I had to slop up the tuning on unison synths.

30 Likes

Hell yeah. So glad to hear something else from ya.

Your videos first gave me hope that the Rytm could be balanced and not turn to mush. It’s even easier post update.

Love the dump of random WIPs “purge” you did too. Great idea.

Great bends here. I need to mess with parameter slides. And that outro!

2 Likes

thank you! because of personal circumstances, all my WIPs are gonna remain that way for a long time. might as well start dumping them on this forum going forward.

honestly figuring out parameter slides was a little tricky at first, took me some time to grok their logic. but they can sound super expressive and prefer it over drawing automation envelopes in a daw

5 Likes

Would you mind giving a tip or two? I m also struggling sometimes with slides to sound good and as part of the song and not an effect. If it comes out good was al a lucky twist of a knob

sure. often the trick to making good use of parameter slides is using them with lock trigs (also called trigless trigs, i think?), i.e., press [func]+ a trig which turns it from red to yellow.

my favorite use of slides is on the pitch of basslines or leads, but to get them to sound natural you often need lock trigs which do not re-trigger the filter envelope. As an example: we are programming a bassline using a bass patch made with the SY RAW engine and a typical LPF that opens instantly and closes according to a moderately long decay. After triggering a long note activated for “parameter slide” (i.e., red trig whose pitch is set according to [NOT] and something arbitrarily high for [LEN], both parameters on the trig page), put a lock trig on the succeeding sequencer step with the [TUN] parameter locked to a different value than the preceding red trig and the [ENV] parameter set to 0 (so that the filter envelope does not retrigger). This technique sort of emulates sliding between notes on a fretless bass. In fact, for practice maybe try programming a known bassline that is originally played on a fretless bass, e.g., one of these. Note that parameter slides don’t work for any locks on the trig page, so you cant do this with the [NOT] parameter, you have to lock the [TUN] parameter on the synth page or sample page. However, using lock trigs locking the [NOT] parameter does accomplish something similar to “pull-offs” or “hammer-ons” on a fretted instrument, so its still pretty useful.

another subtle use of parameter slides is automating the volume of a triggered sound to get a “side-chain compression” effect. more specifically, you have a long note or sample playing on a triggered track and while the sound of that track is audible you set a lock trig (which is activated for parameter slides) with the [VOL] on the amp page locked to zero, then a succeeding lock trig with [VOL] on the amp page set to the original value of [VOL] that the sample with triggered to. What should happen is that the volume immediately drops down to zero and then ramps back up to the original volume. I often use this on synth pads and drop their volume on steps that correspond to the kick and snare.

generally i use slides to smoothly automate the volume of tracks, delay, and reverb.

23 Likes

Really nice post - thanks a lot!

1 Like

Acid on the Rytm :wink:

All synthesis except the screechy noises that are heard in the first seconds and the 909 cymbals and clap. I would’ve prefered the Rytm’s clap, but I ran out of clapable clapcapable tracks :stuck_out_tongue: Some bass boost in Reaper added.

33 Likes

How’s that “lack of square wave” on the AR going? :rofl:

Sounds good as usual…

1 Like

Well, 1.70 update solved the lack of square wave for me (bd sharp) - are those tears of joy, dear Adam9? :wink:

2 Likes

A song for the end of the year, using mostly the acoustic machines, impulse pings, and pieces of the poem “Lilacs on my Birthday,” by Joyce Peseroff

9 Likes

Rytm always had square waves.

You accessed them in the master drive page by maxing the AMT and turning up the ASYM a decent amount. Boost all individual channels and overdrives as well.

(Heh, the new editions in 1.7 are also highly welcomed.)

:slight_smile:

3 Likes

The response i made was a joke, based on comments from another thread, where i said something similar but not the same…:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Mine was a joke too, albeit not a very good one.

( With enough distortion, everything becomes a square wave :stuck_out_tongue: )

3 Likes

Actually one of the reasons for liking square waves that much is to have a sound akin to distortion, without having to distort everything (thus increasingly more musical instruments disappear, hihats first …). On the Syntakt, there is always the possibility to just send a kick to the drive. On the Rytm it’s all or nothing, so the square waves (also found in Sy Chip) are a great addition for me. However, square waves are useful for tons of other things as well :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

though, this time, i distort everything …

Edit: … one more (both without samples) …

15 Likes