Teenage Engineering TP-7 Tape recorder

It’s here!

10 Likes

It transcribes!

Looks good, bit nagra esque imo. but not the droid I’m looking for.

1 Like

First impression is that it’s the most interesting TE product I’ve seen. Big fan of tactile/haptic interfaces, and the motorised jog wheel is a very good idea.

8 Likes

Is it three inputs but only stereo recording?

“there are thoughts, ideas and fragments that - for the sake of humanity…” just stop

57 Likes

Beautifully designed piece.
As usual, way way too highly priced for me to even consider.

I like the minimalistic design, straight to the point. And the automatic transcription seems like a great concept if it works as advertised.

I wish teenage engineering the best success with this product ( and maybe we can get a new op-z down the line…?) !

8 Likes

The wheel looks neat, and I like that you can start recording from cold with one button press. Like a tape recorder.

I think it looks amazing, but I would have liked MIDI sync for recording.

This thing is a ready-made movie prop. It looks like something Q would have given James Bond in the 1970s.

17 Likes

What does it actually record on? I’m confused I think. I thought I heard the word tape…

4 Likes

I assumed it was a concept of tape recording rather than an actual record on tape… Unless the tape is just virtual?

1 Like

Would like to hear some demos of someone going ham on the wheel, looks like it could be very fun for scratching and other effects if the sound is smooth enough.

1 Like

I was excited that someone would make an actual high quality modern portable tape reel recorder since virtually anything tape worth buying needs to be refurbished at this point…

8 Likes

Looks cool although this puts me off a bit:

CONNECT UP TO 3 EXTERNAL MICS, OR USE THE INTERNAL MIC IN A PINCH

‘In a pinch’ translates to ‘it’s not very good’ for me. Couldn’t find if the inbuilt mic was stereo or not doesn’t seem to mention. So basically you need to buy the Microphone too :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll stick with my H5 :joy:

11 Likes

Same. TE remake of a Nagra would be interesting, i reckon.

I mean, they launched the tape recorder like right after the new mic and present them together along with the mixer and op-1 as the field kit… It is like Elektron not overlapping features on digiboxes, they got to sell you their products.

2 Likes

the form factor is handsome, it’s somewhere between a cigarette case and a 1970’s superscope tape player. just no tape :frowning:

what’s the price for the tape no tape tape recorder? can I ask without belittling the product?

oh… I just saw the price.

4 Likes

So this, the mic, the OP-1F and the mixer will set you back over five grand, and that’s without the desk to put it all on…

Five grand.

Five. Grand.

35 Likes

don’t fergit yer tape dispenser.

7 Likes

That mic isn’t stereo either though :crazy_face:

1 Like

But two of them is…

Over six grand now folks…

9 Likes

Lol, genius

TE boardroom rn: