Teenage Engineering OP-Z

amen!

Completely off topic, but I’m now sweating from playing 15 minutes of Beat Saber, which is the game that renewed my excitement about VR games in general. (I admit I was also feeling a little jaded about VR games. I suffer badly from VR motion sickness - all i wanted was to fly my Python around a space station in Elite:Dangerous but I get too sick :cry: but Beat Saber is not like that for me.)

OK, maybe not off topic at all though; a two-player game, experience, whatever, combining OP-Z and VR could really be amazing.

If you’ve still got your VR kit set up, @re5et, and if you don’t feel too jaded about VR, and since you’re obviously into sounds, I can strongly suggest giving Beat Saber a red hot go ^^ It’s a wonderful full-body experience.

It’s kind of hard to fathom what OP-Z can bring to table in VR. You can’t see it so you would need to use it blind. If they made a OP-Z Vive tracker module, maybe then.

I guess you could use OP-Z to create some sort of VR experiences in the same vein as the ”photomode” but I don’t have high hopes on how useful that would be.

Hence, two-player. There’s a really interesting genre of VR games called “asymmetrical multiplayer”, where one player is in VR and the other(s) is/are not - I recommend you check it out! You might find some inspiration there, it’s a fascinating mode of playing games. And it can combine different talents, which I find wonderful.

Panoptic and Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes are two that come immediately to mind, but there are loads more - apologies for the reddit link.

a reddit link

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/wiki/multiplayer

2 Likes

I haven’t watched any of the tutorial videos yet, but I’m scratching my head at how all of this complexity in the sequencer can be shoved into a screenless UI with LEDs doing all the visual indication work… (quote is from a non-official news piece I have open)

Step components in three groups allow players to add unique behaviors to each individual and independent track, such as note variation, micro sequencing, parameter changes, direction tweaking and more. And each component has 10 values and behaviors, essentially meaning that a single step can be altered any one of 140 different ways.

I’m rolling with an Android phone and have no plans to buy back into the iOS ecosystem (leaving it was a great decision), so if I get this it’ll be without bringing my own screen. Keeping keen eyes on it, but extremely skeptical.

4 Likes

I’ve had my beta unit since Friday and maybe used the app for 5 minutes. It’s very intuitive with just the LEDs. Don’t let lack of iOS devices stop you

5 Likes

Your confidence is encouraging! I should just watch some videos already.

Forgive me if this has been asked before or you’re not allowed to spill the beans - but is there any sort of mono or stereo input for live external recording/sampling? The mic is nice for sure, but a proper input is where some real work can get done.

(I guess I shouldn’t discount that mic, actually - the extreme portability and long battery life mean that this could be very viable as a portable field recorder/sampler along with everything else it can do)

2 Likes

No sampling on the unit but you can load samples of your own

2 Likes

From what I’ve read, I’m 99% certain it won’t ship with the unit and will be the “first module coming later in 2018”. Don’t think anyone has a clue about potential additional cost these modules will be.

Any talk of memory or sample time?

1 Like

I don’t think it’s very clear , if I bought an opz today , looking at some of the videos , would I get these outputs ?

There s no info on what these cost either ( if they are separate )
But it’s a good way to get the price low ,
It’s like making a phone and charging extra for headphone socket , but not telling anyone if it’s needed , or how much it might cost.

Advantage is if you don’t care about cv , you don’t pay.
In the photos , they don’t show yellow bits on the back of the device , but there is a cv and trig channel .

I hope they clarify things soon , especially if anyone who has pre ordered are assuming it’s part of it.
And if their normal price for extras is anything to go by , it’ll be expensive. I’d speculate €99+ , as this is the internet and its fun to speculate with no evidence of anything .

Zm1 - cv gate
Zm2 - multi outputs ?
Zm3 - laser harp / d-beam ?
Zm4 - breath controller ?
Zm5 - makes a nice smell
All completely made up.

Thanks for chiming in and giving us some answers to the things that haven’t really been advertised.

Could you let us know about the audio output capabilities? Is there an “album” recorder a’la OP-1, or better yet, any way to export multi-track audio from the OP-Z?

Or is it only what comes out of the 1/8" stereo jack?

5 Likes

At the moment, there’s a feature that allows you to “bounce” a project, which creates an audio file of your patterns, just one pass. Some other stuff will likely be developed I’m guessing. No word on said stuff yet though.

7 Likes

Maybe mentioned already but seems the user manuals now online… Linky below

https://teenageengineering.com/guides/op-z

4 Likes

Does it also record the video performance inside of the app?

No, but that would be cool!

1 Like

New iOS makes doing screen-recording video really easy, so perhaps that’d be the best way anyway.

1 Like

it has a trigger channel , but its only sending triggers out to a device that is doing all of the rendering / video stuff.

its not doing any video stuff itself , its all ios .
and i doubt it has video / hdmi in and video encoders or any way to play them back out .

It looks like the quick guide is up but not the whole manual. I’m not sure I understand why they’re being so cagey about certain things. Maybe it’s not done.

Maybe they’ve learn’t it’s better to say to little rather than to much :grinning:

1 Like

I haven’t seen a whole lot of details related to its MIDI sequencing capabilities. Does anyone know if it can sequence Program Change events? That could be useful in conjunction with the DT/DN. I’m guessing not since you can only do so much without a screen, but I had to ask. I know you’d need a USB host of some sort since it doesn’t have a hardware MIDI out.