Teenage Engineering OP-Z

Thanks for sharing! This is dope. Makes me wonder if Autechre really produced most of their stuff with randomized patterns. :slight_smile:

Interested to know this too. I’m sure there will be, will have to dig around. Uncanny sequencer and matrix by Julian bayle spring to mind but they’ve never been updated and prob not available anymore.

2 Likes

If Elektron could make the parameter lock itself conditional, I could get by with that! :smiley:
Conditional locks instead of conditional trigs, the new frontier?

9 Likes

Assuming your pattern doesn’t use all the trigs on the page, you can sort of do this using a combination of trig conditions and micro-timing. For example. Place a trig with “default” parameters, set it to have some kind of trig condition. Then place a trig on the following step and micro-time back a step, p-lock your various parameters and set its trig condition to not PRE (PRE with a line over it). If I’m remembering this correctly, this second trig will then play only when the previous (default) trig does not, and will play in the same step of the sequencer. Not quite the same thing you’re asking (which would be cool), but could accomplish a similar result in some cases.

(I know you’re a super user, so sorry if that is all extraneous info for you).

2 Likes

Yea I am familiar with this technique but for my intended uses, all trigs on a page will be used.
In fact, I’d like one of the conditionals to be a trig mute, or even “skip”.

It is good information to repeat for folks who are not aware of this trick, however. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sent in a few days back :wink:

4 Likes

And how about conditional trigs for conditional trigs?

There is quite a lot I would like to see Elektron “borrow” from TE. Right now, the OP-Z sequncer is so good that I am about to put the Elektrons on the shelf.

5 Likes

Im using it for pacing in the song.

Think of or like this. On step count one each trig is 16 hits per bar, om step count two each trig is 8 hits per bar and so on.

So starting s song i put the BD track on step count 2 or 4 and then when i want to add some intensity i put the track on step count 1

3 Likes

This is where I see randomization as truly useful. I’d love to see the ability to randomize subtle parameter lock changes. Personally, I don’t have any use for randomizing when a sound actually triggers; I prefer being in complete control of that.

Wow… that’s rather cool!

hmmmmm

5 Likes

Even cooler you can change step count and step length over midi cc so I can easily have something like a Faderfox uc 4 and just change step count on the fly from the controller.

Honestly there is so much in the depths of this little wonder machine.

7 Likes

Have you checked out the new probability pack for max4live? It’s free for live 10 suite. It has some pretty cool probability based step divider, random arp and neural network midi effects. Fun starts when you chain them up with each other. :thup:

2 Likes

Seconded for wanting to hear it sequence the MD. That was one of the coolest vids I’ve seen for OP-Z and I like the name too. Lol.

I had a lot of gear lust for this thing before it was released but it seems like most of the stuff I’ve heard is very “chiptune”, which is definitely not my thing. Is that where it’s strength lies, or can it do other stuff equally well?

I’m not sure which demos you’ve heard, but it is a very diverse machine. It only sounds “chippy” if you don’t do anything to shape the raw synth sounds, but the same can be said about any subtractive synth really.

1 Like

That’s good to know. Maybe it’s just the particular videos I’ve seen.

I think the synth engines is its wealest part, with that said there are some great sounds in it. The drum samples hit hard. I can get some really nice bass tones out of it. And I love the factory chord track, it just has a certain sound quality.

I was not impressed with the sound at first. But then I put it through a strymon Deco and so 404 vinyl sim and I’m kinda loving the wobbly lofi quality that it adds. So saturation is a great thing to add to the OP-Z

Also, if I don’t like the synth engines I can just sequence my other stuff with it, since stuff like punch in effects (some of them atleast) sends midi data.

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. I’m not sure what you ran it through in that video, but the saturation sounded really nice. It seems like the sequencer is really one of its strongest features. I’m looking forward to hearing how people use it for outboard gear, as none of the synth engines I’ve heard so far have jumped out at me, again though, perhaps I just haven’t heard enough stuff

So I had a go at sequencing MD and Digitone with OP-Z. Midi still has some issues on the OP-Z which TE needs to sort out. Mostly the fact that it won’t work as a usb host for some devices.

Since I don’t have a fancy Rk-005 or Kenton usb host I used my iPhone as a intermittent connection, connecting OP-Z and Digitone via the app MidiFire.
MD was connected to Digitone via regular midi din.

MIDI Routing:

Op-Z usb midi - Digitone midi in - Digitone midi out - Machinedrum midi in.

Op- Z track 1 = Digitone midi track 1 = Machinedrum

Op- Z track 2 = Digitone midi track 2 = Machinedrum

Op- Z track 3 = Digitone midi track 3 = Machinedrum

Op- Z track 4 = Digitone midi track 4 = Machinedrum

Op- Z track 5 = Digitone track 1

Op- Z track 6 = Digitone track 2

Op- Z track 7 = Digitone track 3

Op- Z track 8 = Digitone track 4

Digitone and Machinedrum are processed by strymon Deco and Sp404 Vinyl Sim on a fx send

14 Likes

@MichaalHell, these vids are great!

Thanks man, I’m hoping they give some insight into this mystical device.