Teenage Engineering OP-1

OT users would be very happy…well they always are, right?

3 Likes

Not possible due to hardware. Hey, it worked for you, so I’ll try my :raised_hand:

In 6 years, Octatrack users will be tickled pink!

1 Like

Relearned how to record into Tape from the line input.

I had to go into Sampler to let the OP-1 know I want to record through line input, not the mic.

Seems like an odd workflow when I just want to record directly to Tape - not sample it into the keyboard sampler or the drum sampler. Or did I miss something?

I have a feeling Synthdawg dropped the price on OP-1 Notebook to 2.90 pounds. Might be my imagination but I thought it was over 4 pounds before.

Well, I’m getting it in any case. Updated to OS 243. Yeah i know I posted it before but why not be helpful by resharing the link, eh?

3 Likes

After getting Synthdawg’s manual and taking a look, the answer is yes.

You have to click on the blue knob to get past the “Enable the FM Radio” display.

Maybe this isn’t the right thread for this, but here goes:

Now the OP-1, Digitakt, and OP-Z can all send and receive audio over USB, how can I set up Ableton to route that audio?

For instance, say I want to sample an OP-1 synth into the Digitakt. I use Rogue Amoeba’s Loopback to make a kind of aggregate audio device, so Ableton can see them all at once.

How would you route things in Ableton to send audio out? An External Effects instance on a channel? Or make an FX (return) track and just use the send knob in the channel strip?

Or is there a fancier/easier way?

Interesting question.

I see OP-1 show up in the audio section of Preferences as an option for both input and output. But I haven’t yet tried using it alongside another USB audio interface. So next up would be to try HX Stomp XL and OP-1 at the same time with Live 11. as I’d like to sample my guitar or violin meanderings on HX Stomp into OP-1, sooner or later.

1 Like

That’s so great! Now it is possible to record send FX from ableton in sound on sound loops and proper sequencing of pretty odd time signatures. Still got the OP-1 tape workflow :smile: Too bad the Ableton control surface doesn’t work anymore. But I did not test it with Ableton 11 (yes, I got the python 3 script for 11) before updating.

I created an Aggregate Device combining my HX Stomp XL and OP-1.

However, I can’t get Live 11 to select the new Aggregate Device as an audio input in the Audio Preferences.

My Mac is still on High Sierra, though. Maybe I’ll have better luck after I get the new rumored 14" Macbook Pro with more up to date OS.

On a side note, the OP-1 audio input into Live 11 over USB is noticeably hotter than HX Stomp XL audio over USB

I’m absolutely loving this update. It’s def the no-nonsense ultimate portable sampler setup. With just the usual usb cable + female lightning cable you can sample from YT, spotify, etc from phone straight to OP (with much less artefacts than the audio cable)… and record the beat straight to video on your phone with that same cable combo.
Awesome

3 Likes

Snaffled, thanks for the tip-off!
About time I brought my self back up to speed, and beyond.

Got a camping cabin trip looming with the OP-1, H9 and Zoom H1 as my portable setup.

At some point I need to replace the keybed as one of my black-keys is dodgy, but happy to limp along meanwhile.

Sampling via USB directly from the cell phone is a huge deal for me, as the headphone jack of my phone is broken. Very welcome addition. I think I will stick to just exporting the tape tracks as single files when interfacing with my computer though.
I have neglected my electric guitar for the past few years and haven’t tried to just run it into the op-1 through some pedals until yesterday. The op-1 offers so many opportunities, that I didn’t consider it as a four track guitar looper until now (maybe I’m just stupid). I got totally lost doing that for the first time yesterday, slowing the tape speed down and applying the cow as a master effect. Another thing I never tried until yesterday is to mess with the two memorizing functions on the master effect, which basically allows to flip between 3 effect presets. Lots of fun for noodling around!

3 Likes

I bought it. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

I’ve tried to use the OP-1 as a looper before, but I never thought of this!

1 Like

I’m connecting the OP-1 to Ableton via USB (for audio), and I’m getting a delay, and I don’t understand why.

When I compare it to the sound from the OP-1’s own speaker, there’s a short delay.

There is some latency, but it is quite minimal. What is your OS and set up?

M1 Mac Mini, macOS Big Sur (latest version). Audio interface is a K-Mix, OP-1 UBS plugged into thunderbolt hub.

OP-Z plugged into same hub, much less latency.

Strange, I’m getting less latency then with an OP-Z in all daws, on Macbook Pro 2019 and on iOS.

1 Like

Just discovered this awesome little trick on the op-1, when resampling one tape track to another track using the ear resampling method. This also works when playing the tape in reverse mode. You can apply some master fx (cwo, spring or the envelope following filter work nicely) and mess with the knobs while resampling in reverse mode. Playing the resampled track in forward direction again gives some really cool, unexpected results.

9 Likes

I love warbly lo-fi synth sounds and I’ve always struggled with those on the op-1, I’ve always thought that they sounded to clean and sterile and the lfo’s didn’t really help.

Then I started using the Element LFO and it turns almost every synth patch to a lo-fi wonderland…

So here’s how you do it…

Set source to Sigma (Σ)
Set amount to roughly 25
Set destination to pitch and volume (:musical_note::speaker:)
and set p.dest to pitch (green encoder)

Voila!

Sigma is the sum of the synth output so basically you are FMing the synth with a parameter of choice and it sounds really good!

14 Likes