Teenage Engineering OP-1

I would go for the better screen if you can.

1 Like

Yes, definitely, plus if anything goes wrong on a Rev1 it might be so much harder for TE to fix.

1 Like

Once upon a time, there was a book called OP-1 Cookbook which improved upon the factory manual.

This appears to be a rewrite of that older book, with more updated information.

I sent this link to one new OP-1 owner, and a couple of months later, he made this informative video covering stuff I havenā€™t seen in other OP-1 vids, like how to use Punch to simulate velocity sensitivity

9 Likes

Lots of surprises with the OP-1. Op-1 sequencers triggering VSTs. Yes!

1 Like

Finger sequencer for drums is probably my all time favorite sequencerā€¦ I just love the groove you can get. To bad you canā€™t send it via midiā€¦

3 Likes

It sends notes over midi. I use drum racks. Weirdly, the notes start on F2.

1 Like

yes, loved this one too.

But does the sequencers work in midi? I cant seem to get out of the midi window

Do you mean controller mode?

The sequencers should always be sending MIDI, but as far as Iā€™m aware you only have access to them in OP-1 mode - so if youā€™ve used the COM button to go into MIDI mode, you lose access to the sequencer functions. As a result, the sequencers will always be triggering MIDI and an internal OP-1 voice. There could be a fix for this Iā€™m not aware of, but you can simply turn the OP-1 voice down in the mixer.

Anyway, using FM8 as an example, I just open it up, set the OP-1 as the MIDI input, and Finger and all the other sequencers send out note data as expected. Which is great! If you need to change MIDI channels on the OP-1, hit shift+COM and then use shift with the blue encoder.

One thing to maybe note is that the OP-1 isnā€™t a MIDI host, so you canā€™t just hook it up to anything - e.g. no cable configuration will enable it to control, say, a Microfreak directly. But connected to a computer it should work pretty easily, and from there you can route the MIDI out to other gear.

3 Likes

thereā€™s a workaround just for the endless sequencer because itā€™s the only sequencer which you can start in normal mode, switch to control mode and it will continue!

thatā€™s maybe a bug because I was surprised that itā€™s only working with endless and it kinda restarts its cycle when switching from normal to control mode.

dunno

whereā€™s the 10 year anniversary update? :pleading_face:

2 Likes

Aah rightā€¦ I was in coms modeā€¦

I usually use the OP-Z as a midi middle man so no issues sending out the note data itā€™s was just that I thought I had to be in coms modeā€¦

Thanks!

1 Like

Itā€™d be great if the sequencers were properly available in MIDI control mode, but I guess itā€™s complicated by the other functions of the knobs etc. there. My #1 wish for the OP-1 would be MIDI host functionality as on the OP-Z, but thatā€™s in hardware revision territory so I kind of hope it never happens, purely for selfish financial reasons.

I go the other wayā€”hook it up to the OP-Z with a USB cable, and use the OP-Zā€™s sequencers. When I get a result I like, I record to tape, tweak sequence, and repeat.

The neat thing is, you can use the OP-1ā€™s keys to play the OP-Z while doing this, and also live sample into the OP-1 while the OP-Z sequencer is running.

5 Likes

Really want to send Midi from the op-1 . What USB host are you using?

Can you just use a usb to midi cable or do you need one with a conversion box ?

No, wonā€™t work.

Yes, I have used the Kenton USB host, but there are others such as these:

3 Likes

Hi.

I recently purchased a second hands OP-1. However, even if the master volume is zero, a single click noise will be heard from built-in speaker every time the power is turned on.

There are no other issues so far, is this common? :thinking:

I owned one and that would happen. I think itā€™s normal, most likely an impulse when power is connected to the speaker.

2 Likes

Just tried this for the first time. Worked pretty good, except for one thing. I couldnā€™t get the op-z to send itā€™s LFO to the op-1. I configured it to target p1, which was set up to send cc1 in the midi control panel of the op-z. Op-1 can receive midi ccs 1-4 on the midi LFO page, as far as I understand. Tweaking the dials on the op-z to send these midi ccs worked, as does parameter locking. But the LFO from the op-z doesnā€™t seem to go through. Did you get this to work?

I never tried the LFOs via midi.