Teenage Engineering OP-1

If you continually are un plugging the OP-1 you may occur a problem. If you just keep the cables in situ then you will increase longevity. Its the same with laptops.

Yes, but itā€™s not what its designed for is it? itā€™s a portable instrument so a lot plugging and unplugging will happen.

TE must have known the in/out board was a weak point otherwise they wouldnā€™t have made it replaceableā€¦ Iā€™m on my second one now, and looking like I need a thirdā€¦

1 Like

You can just leave the cables in the OP-1 so portability is okay as the wires dont weigh much.

But that just makes them more likely to snag and break off.

1 Like

Yepā€¦

fwiw, I had terrible noise with mine when plugged into USB power (which is most of the time, as I leave it set up in the studio). like a whining sound. a cheap 1/8" noise cancelling box solved it. yeah, you shouldā€™ve have to do that. but for $10ā€¦? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Does anyone have experience of syncing the OP-1 with AK without a computer? I know this has been asked before in different forms but wondered if anything has changed! Got the AK currently and looking to add an OP-1 to my little setup!

You can use a midi USB host, two that I use which work well are the TE Oplab board and the Kenton USB host, the Oplab board is pretty hard to find as they are no longer made, it has a bunch of other functionality and is expensive, so Iā€™d recommend the Kenton.

There are some others like the Hobbytronics one and Retrokits etc, the Hobbytronics one does not work very well with OP-1 according to their website though, not sure about the Retrokits one.

2 Likes

Thanks @darenager - really helpful. Iā€™d seen the Kenton one referred to but Iā€™d rather stupidly assumed it needed a computer because it mentioned USB when clearly thatā€™s the thing itā€™s designed to address! :man_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

The I/O implementation in op-1 is obscene, unforgivable pig crap
The mere act of try to defend that thing seems like the sceenplay of a horror movie
At least I bought this (still pretty enjoyable, anyway) piece of equipment when it came out, because the current price makes me laugh the shit out of my wtf :joy:

I often thought about designing a ā€œdockā€ which the OP-1 slides into, it would have 1/4ā€ in and out, din midi in and out, and a larger battery, but it would have been far to expensive to be viable. Given the number of OP-1s sold though Iā€™m surprised TE or a third party did not come up with something like this.

5 Likes

Nice. Could have a bigger screen so you could view multiple functions at once. And a real tape deck!?

The retrokits works well with the OP-1. In fact, it even has a feature where you can adjust its settings from the OP-1.

1 Like

OP-1 + Cassette Loop + V-Machine

7 Likes

Yo LD absolutely love that soundtrack - brilliant!!
:clap::clap::raised_hands:

Op-1 music at itā€™s best.

1 Like

nice as always!

1 Like

Thanks Unifono! Much appreciated

1 Like

Can you apply effects to tracks that have been recorded onto tape? Like after it has been recorded, go back and apply an effect to the whole ~5 minute track?

I take it the tape tracks are mono? I couldnā€™t really find a clear description in the manualā€¦

Yeah, you can. You just need to use the album. So if you need an effect on a single track, you mute the others, apply the effect on the master, and record the output to the album, and drop it back in the recorder. If I recall correctly?

1 Like

Bored AF in lockdown watching gear teardown vids. Anyway this video is interesting. I was thinking, I want to look at the board of the Op-1 for the cool graphics.
What do you know? The new boards on these new models are different (because parts are obselete?) and donā€™t have the boxer, TE logo and the cool NY references. CNC casing is way different also.

Peeps with the older models like most of us have, are they are collectors items now. :wink:

4 Likes