Teenage Engineering EP-133 K.O. II

@te-david I have encountered the following issue several times. When I sample something and the storage is full the new sample does not get saved. When I then try to sample again the KO2 says it’s already full. So where did the new sample go? My only solution has been to plug the KO2 in to the computer and open up the sample tool, I can then see the storage slowly ticking down to it’s correct size.

Is this something you’ve encountered/heard of as well?

3 Likes

sure, I believe first up would be a cross-platform solution for the ‘basics’, i.e. sample transfer and backup/restore. something we more or less have ready (except for browsers not supporting web-midi). making an extension or wrap a js-app in react-native would solve the interop with people (like me) not wanting to install chrome.

9 Likes

thx king!

3 Likes

oh! are you on OS 1.1.1 ?
the only I can think of is that…, if you’re close to full, then the last erased sound(s) would take a while to free up, i.e. sample might say ‘full’ even though there might be space a few seconds in the future. what we could do of course is to show a message/floppy-anim when entering sample when the available flash-area is in need of ‘free-up / garbage collection’.

the slowly ticking down ‘sizing’ is due to the fact that NOR flash by nature has a fairly slow erase cycle, meaning, we can quickly tag areas on flash as “available” when a sample is removed, erased, undo’ed. but in the background, we have a bg task that is async that free up space to make the overall UI experience smooth, this is why you see space not being immediately available.

8 Likes

made a chiller beat today, as it is the season of chill. still having a blast with this toy! made it on the 133 and fx’d/rec’d through the 404. the cassette catch effect went wild a few times, as it tends to do when i smack it too hard

9 Likes

:musical_score: 24/7 :level_slider: :loud_sound: biz…! merry xmas :christmas_tree:

16 Likes

Yeah! That’d be great. Electron would be an option as well, I reckon. (Do I get points for mentioning Electron on an Elektron forum?)

you get 10 points :slight_smile:

3600+ posts already!
Can someone pls tell me what am I missing with this sampler?! Why is it so popular?

2 Likes

hype and hipsters

3 Likes

quick compilation of the beats I made in week 1 of having the KOII here.

26 Likes

its fun!

6 Likes

Form factor for me. Same size as my ipad, battery powered, and the easy/simple to use.

6 Likes

Aside from the stock samples, where are you guys sourcing your samples from? Looking to find some new sources and sound packs. Thanks!

2 Likes

Yes, I’m on 1.1.1

I see. Some kind of indicator would be helpful. Maybe I’ve just been to impatient waiting for my samples to free up.

But is the sample supposed to not be saved when the storage is full? I would like it to be, even if it is missing that last second I was thinking of sampling.

Amazing! Thanks @te-david. Also, I found another MIDI bug recently:
With a MIDI keyboard: Arm record, depress sustain pedal, then press a note (which triggers recording to start) the note sustains as expected while recording, however on playback sustain isn’t recorded. It seems the issue is that the initial state of the sustain pedal isn’t captured at the beginning of recording. Edit: The same thing also occurs on recording with count in.

1 Like

Why?

actually, this is already resolved in OS 1.1.1 --> update utility

1 Like

thanks, yes, corner-case, we need to buffer that even during arm-rec.

2 Likes

@te-david could we ever get sampling while the sequencer is running?

4 Likes