Teenage Engineering CM–15

I love my Tula mic

I see they’re also targeting hip podcasters. One thing you can’t fault TE for is knowing how to market to their audience. I’m 100% positive this will sell very well, and I’ll soon see it all over the place.

2 Likes

The idea of buying a boutique microphone from a company that doesn’t specialize in them is hilarious. I’m skeptical enough about 1k mics from companies that do specialize. Mic design is a dark art with a century of practice, why on earth would you not go to the most tested and proven ones?

18 Likes

I have a Tula mic, but I bet this blows it away. I am not impressed with the sound of Tula.

I’m sure comparisons will come soon enough, but aside from the size, form and portability, I think that’s where it’ll likely stop.

I don’t like the price and don’t censor my opinion. It’s mine.

I’m guessing this will sound great and if they have a great sounding mic in this size, then I’ll become a believer in the price too.

4 Likes

agree $1200 for a portable mike is a bit much. Will see if they update it with any must have features. I do like my OP-1, OB-4. pocket operators and TX-6 a lot.

2 Likes

There are measurable tests to confirm frequency, rejection, noise and a bit of everything.

It’s not a magical thing.

Results will come soon enough. They’re touting quality in this form so let’s see how it measure up.

2 Likes

The design is sexy, not gonna lie. But that marketing blurb is infuriating and kind of makes me want to puke. Somehow I developed TE allergy over the years.

Oh, and finally you’ll be able to have a full bonkers TE micro setup for the price of a small European family car :drooling_face:

6 Likes

Tula mic sounds great maybe you’re not using it properly. I’ve had sound engineers who’ve worked with the most expensive mics made say it sounds really good.

1 Like

I’ll pass on this one for now, until I hear field recordings that convince me otherwise. It’s about the only use case that’d get me interested.

Having said that, for the musician who plays the guitar and sings and is into TE, this is golden, I’m sure :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Of all the devices of their that could actually use an FM transmitter, this doesn’t? Dios Mio!

2 Likes

You’re right, i don’t mean to overstate the Voodoo, and the tests will be what matters. But there’s so many boutique mics out there that are supposedly well performing specs wise but i just don’t like the sound of. And those companies only do that. Not that TE don’t have consultants and more money than small boutique mic manufacturers, but still. I’ll believe the quality when i hear it! I’m sure it’s good. But so are a lot of 1k or less mics that are used extensively in all your favorite music.

So if I understand correctly, this thing can be seen either as a mic with an integrated audio interface, or a kind of field recorder but without the recorder

1 Like

I’ve said if before - at some point, it will be revealed that Chris Morris has been behind TE all along.

G

11 Likes

I wonder how good the internal shock suspension is, because if you have this thing on a table I wouldn’t be surprised if it picks up a bunch of noise. Might want to rest it on a folded up bit of fabric or something if you were out and about with it.

Here’s the frequency response btw -

3 Likes

If this thing picks up divine field recording content together with the TX-6 or OP-1 Field, I’m listening.

Literally :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You’re absolutely right about all the other mics. In this territory there are tons of options, but not all made to be portable… I’m not justifying the price as I have no idea how this sounds, but if they can live up to the marketing hype, then it could be justifiable.

I won’t shut something down just because it’s new. Does it sound good? Let’s see.

3 Likes

It’s mono so… not really ideal for field recording. Fine for voice or a single instrument.

5 Likes

Well, they do cover that in the examples on the product page - you simply buy two.

7 Likes

Aye I’m sure. And then 2x supercardioids isn’t ideal for ambient recordings btw, ask me how I know.

1 Like

this thread is for discussion of Prince Andrew’s charitable works ONLY. please do not discuss other Prince Andrew related topics

26 Likes