Techno vocals

Any tips for creating dark and nasty sounding vocals for techno? Say I have a phrase I want to use, what FX and processing are good for darkening sound, making it sounds devilish? I typically just pitch it down and distort it.

An example of the effect I’m after is around the 1 min mark:

1 Like

don’t know much about techno, but pitching down female vocals sounds much more interesting than male vocals most of the time. i then like to add a little bitcrush. reverse delay / reverb is also cool sometimes.

1 Like

Starting with pitchshifting is a good idea, but I’d also recommend finding some plugin for formant manipulation. You can get weird and dark without distorting too much (as in pitch-shifting). Chorus like effects can also add some depth, and use bit-crushers or distortion if you want to get nasty (while I would always add some sort of saturation for adding presence in the mix, but this is less creative I guess)

2 Likes

Listening to the effect on the reference track it sounds like you’d get close with a combination of pitching and a ring mod at a very low rate

2 Likes

po speak is fun to use.
just talk into it, twiddle knobs and record that shit, cut it up and there you have it.

is fine, it’s kinda related to the po.

If you don’t want to spend money:
https://espeak.sourceforge.net/
You type it, it talks into a wav file…

or any bit reducer plugin, filters & stock plugins should do the trick.

Just to add, the other thing that can be interesting is to sample extremely low bandwidth, overly noise filtered voices like from a teams meeting. You can get some really odd textures that way.

If you have Logic the spectral gate plug-in or the denoiser (set aggressively) will give you that sound

Vocoder, erosion, bit crush, Soundtoys Little Alterboy and in hardware I use TC Helicon Perform-VE

I like Abletons spectral resonator.

I tried hard to mimic these vox on a track a while ago. I got to somewhere in the ballpark but wasnt satisfied so dropped it. I know he had a simple rig but cant find info on what effect he used. Is it some vocoder?