Tascam DR-40, advice & others

Na Leute :alien:
So recently I bought a second hand Tascam DR-40. My work goes around sampling a lot so it was about time.

I’m looking for any advice and experiences about it that you could be willing to share.

Also I’d like to get some sort of case and of course some foams or fluffy fluffs for the mics. I haven’t found anything specific for this model. If you know of something online you could point me out to, would be divine.

Thanks in advance everybody for sharing!

This was my first recorder, not really my favorite to be honest, but it does the job just fine and is a good place to start. It has pretty bad handling noise (lots of creaky plastic leaking into the recordings when you hold it in your hand) so I would highly recommend getting a small tripod that you can also use as a grip like a Joby or Manfrotto.

I’m not really sure where you’re looking since there are lots of options for DR-40 windjammers ranging from basic Aliexpress ones to high-end Rycotes, all made specifically for that recorder, as is the case with most consumer grade portable recorders. Tascam make one that is designed to fit most of their recorders (DR-40, DR-100, etc). The Zoom WSU-1 is a “universal windjammer” that has an elastic cinch for fitting to most handy recorders regardless of make - it works well enough with my DR-100.

1 Like

I have the DR40x. Dead cats (fluffy things) can be found on ebay. I use the one for this model, fits like a glove, does what it should.

You can also make your own dead cat. I did that for my DR05.

Cases, havent sorted that yet, might just make one myself.