Taiga from Pittsburgh Modular

4 Likes

Iā€™ve been waiting for this one.

Finally, a proper discussion of PWM capabilities.

1 Like

I really appreciate that he leans into the meme.

1 Like

Got mine yesterdayā€”seems Iā€™m not alone in the initial flailing stageā€”but after a bit of help from PM and some problem solving Iā€™m now getting to enjoy Taiga. Itā€™s a really lovely piece of gear and Iā€™m excited to explore some weirdness.

3 Likes

Really enjoying having this synth in the early days when thereā€™s not a lot of video and patch guides out there. Really gotta figure things out myself which, for me is a fun challenge.

The layout of this synth and how you can really reroute modules how you want is so freeing. Iā€™m not into eurorack (yet), I just have several semi-modulars (notably the 3 desktop and two keyboard Moog synths) and none of them feel like I can fully reconfigure them the way I can with the Taiga.

I love that it has a LPG and a traditional filter, makes it super easy to route up essentially two mono synths with their own filters.

I also think the Delay is pretty underrated. Other than content with the Pittsburgh Modular crew in it, it has felt like the few videos Iā€™ve seen have pretty much dismissed it altogether. Sure, itā€™s not the great ambient space filling delay people come to expect but what it can do at higher rates is fun as hell.

I made a patch earlier where I had the Oxi One sequencing MIDI. I sent the third OSC directly to the Delay and then cranked the delay feedback all the way up to self oscillate. Then I sent the pitch out from the control module to the Delay speed CV in and then tuned the self oscillation to the pitch of Oscillator 3. Then I ran the delay through the the LPG and had OSC 1 and 2 going the normal route to the filter. Then combined the Outputs of the Filter and the LPG with the Mixer/ Splitter and to the output. I made a dope sounding Mono patch where the self oscillating of the Delay kinda ducked out of the way when notes were played and pulsed back up when notes released. It was fucking filthy.

Really fun synth.

10 Likes

EDIT: felt the need to edit this for anyone researching the Taiga. I ended up selling mine. It just wasnā€™t right for me in a number of ways and felt like a real struggle to get it to make the sounds I was looking for. I had similar issues with the Microvolt. Something about the PM envelopes that I really donā€™t gel with. For my needs, there were a bunch of missing mod destinations that were crucial.

Thatā€™s a fun post to read :slight_smile: Sonic playground. I donā€™t disagree on the delay, it just needs to be thought of differently than what most of us are used to, I think of it more as a saturation of some weird sort. The only thing I havenā€™t really figured out to my liking are the adsrā€™s. I hadnā€™t realized before I purchased Taiga that the envelopes were more geared towards short and snappy, so Iā€™m struggling a bit with getting some softer sounds out of it, the attack is too aggressive, or I just havenā€™t figured out what Iā€™m doing yet. Iā€™m running it through a Strymon Timeline and Hologram Microcosm, so have just been exploring different ideas with the mix on both pedals tilted towards the effects.

I just received mine today and I am very impressed. Lots of sound shaping possibilities. Going to be a lot of fun exploring this one. Will be using my Oxi One also.

1 Like

Finally got into some demos of this thing and Iā€™m super impressed! GAS activated.

Also proud to be from Pittsburgh!

1 Like
2 Likes

You can patch the clock to the ADSR input.

This isnā€™t the same, though. The cycle time of a looping envelope changes when you adjust attack/release.

Yeah, thatā€™s a good call out. But I think thatā€™s the closest you can get to looping envelope.

1 Like

I wanted to wait a while before I would buy the Taiga but as there was a good b-stock deal with over 100ā‚¬ off I couldnā€™t resist. The sound of the West Pest got me really hooked but not having any amp envelope on it made it a little too limited for my taste so the announcement of the Taiga was very welcome. Only had an evening of basic exploration so far and even without any patching the variety of sounds is quite impressive. Will take a while to learn the ins and outs of this one but I can see it quickly becoming my new favorite mono synth (from my collection).

4 Likes
4 Likes

It does sound great - Iā€™m getting very strong bottom end vibes from it. I really donā€™t need it thoughā€¦ resist the GASā€¦

1 Like

Itā€™s an amazing price when you think about all of the features in this beast. It might take me a while to save up for it, but Taiga is on my short list.

Iā€™ve read some criticism of its appearance, but I find the faceplate, colorful knobs, and light-colored wood pretty inviting and inspiring.

4 Likes

This or Cascadia, based on sound alone? Iā€™m thinking this ā€¦ though we canā€™t always judge on sound alone, love how Cascadia looks and feels :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sound alone, as in unplugged? then i guess Taiga houses alot more sounds. but Cascadia has a ton of utilities and patch points, so you can probably do a lot more crazy patching with just Cascadia

1 Like

I love the aesthetic too.

1 Like

Yea I think they got the balance right with this, it has its own character without having made me want to design an alt panel like I did for their Cre8audio stuff, which did absolutely offend my eyes.

Yea thatā€™s how I was going to summarise it too - I suspect with the Taiga youā€™d really want to supplement it whereas the Cascadia is a little more all-in-one. Not sure theyā€™re really directly comparable, Iā€™d be pitting the Taiga up against more traditional mono synths which leaves it at the slightly pricier end but extremely capable. Cascadia is more of a sound design toolbox.