Taiga from Pittsburgh Modular

Ticket submitted!

:rofl:

2 Likes

Die Inspiration hier waren die äußerst bunten Adjektive aus den AMAZONA.de Kommentarspalten zu modularen Synthesizern.

Heh

1 Like

I think I too saw the implied “…or GTFO!” Nice review and sounds!

2 Likes

Similar to some other synths, the Taiga does not like the OT MIDI clock.
I also had trouble getting the Taiga’s cc/mod wheel assign procedure to respond to cc from the OT, it just would not ‘hear’ when i was using the OT to assign cc#1 as the active source. Weirdly, i used another midi sequencer to set the cc# to 1, then plugged the OT back in and presto, the Taiga is responding to cc from the OT. Very strange.

EDIT: another oddity- the Taiga did not remember the CC setting after a power down like it should. But it does recognise the MIDI note Velocity from the OT and the output from the Velocity out jack works as expected. I don’t get it at all.

1 Like

What modules should I pair with the Taiga for a smallish skiff? What would really add utility or potential to the synth voice? Ignoring purely fx based options or anything that would go after/not interact directly

This will quickly go off topic.
Look for “semi-modular” in the forum, start a new thread or… get an A4 :wink:

9 Likes

Maybe a slightly unconventional answer:

1. Buy a function generator module – e.g. Frap Falistri, Make Noise Maths, or others. This will provide you with more envelopes, LFOs, and even more oscillators to your Taiga

2. Buy a Mordax Data – this will help you “see” your CV and audio signals and enhance your understanding of how everything works together

3. Don’t buy anything else until you’re intimately familiar with the Taiga plus (1) and (2) above

8 Likes

To add to @pmags 's excellent suggestion, a few VCAs might be an interesting addition too. EDIT: I meant one module that has a few VCAs, e.g. a quad VCA.

5 Likes

It is said that you can never have enough of them.

All I know for sure is that Tutankhamun was buried with 27.

3 Likes

It only took 3 posts!

1 Like

I’ll be sure to keep this on-topic, and Taiga-centric.

I will have a minority opinion here, perhaps, but the usual suggestions to pair with a semi-modular don’t seem to be appropriate for Taiga. Taiga leans more modular than other semimodulars (e.g., the Moog semis), and has a good start at decent modular utilities (1 lfo, 2 adsrs, mixer/splitter). You may want more of these, but I would wait until you feel constrained. Work with what you have first.

Personally, I would pair the Taiga with a sequencer. I really like my Elequencer, but there are lots of choices here (Pam’s, metropolix, etc, etc). You can use the sequencer to play chords on the three voices, and/or use the sequences for per-note modulation. Also, if you have enough outputs, you can decouple CV and gate signals, which is interesting.

For next steps, I would just consider Taiga as one of many components, and then that is indeed a separate discussion.

1 Like

Any patch ideas for this biome characterized by coniferous forests consisting mostly of pines, spruces and larches ?

Like, a preset library of some kind ?

So far I found on Youtube

ect…

You mean something like this?

2 Likes

Yeah na yeah na…Something like patchstorage.com or patch-library.net. Or presets one can buy. I want to reverse engineer those.

2 Likes

If I understand your question correctly, I’m not sure what you are trying to find exists or is possible. The Taiga does not have any storage or presets, it cant save or load patches as far as i know.

I found patchcheets like this for Make Noise -O- Coast, Neutron, Edge.

It helps me to understand the module better, its also a good point to start from.

Taiga is on its way, I’l see what I can do to get this started for Taiga.

2 Likes

I really dislike the ADSR knobs, they have such a weird&small span for useful envelopes.

But I quite like the sound.

Does it pass the acid test?

14 Likes

Had the Taiga for 2 weeks now, the envelopes’ span is way to small. I don’t think this is adjustable via trimpot (or firmware ?). Need to check manual or thread on mdwglr.The lpg had me scratching my head for a bit but I realy like the sound. Maybe not ideal as stand alone, perhaps in a bigger system… better envelopes, vca, lfo,…And yes, a ciiiiid !

1 Like

It’s ridiculous really…

Not possible.

Maffez (what a legend) did a mod for it, and describes it on wigglers.
Not possible for me though.

3 Likes