Sysex file compatibility A4 mk1 -> mk2

Hi folks,
I’m quite new to the electron world. So here my first question in this really helpfull forum. Found a lot of hints here.

I’m interested in buying this sysex files on beatport: http://sounds.beatport.com/pack/elektron-analog-4-progressive-acid/7064

According to the date an description they are made for the a4 mk1. Will they work on my mk2?

is that what you mean ?

either way mk2 > mk1 or whatever - the sysex files will work in the sense that they will be interpreted/imported fine

however, there is significant differences in the overdrive and ladder filter of the Mk2, so there may be some differences to the conceived design depending on which way you are going

but as you (mistakenly?) stipulate both as Mk2 then there is no issue - even if they were created on an earlier OS

Sorry for the typo. Yes they were made for the mk1 and my question was if they will work on the mk2.

Do you think it’s worth a try due to the differences that you mentioned? Especially the filter settings are quite relevant to acid sounds.

I hear what you’re saying, I imagine (on balance) everything just sounds better on the Mk2 in any case - so perhaps you can ask the sound designer for comment, maybe the fine tuning of resonant overtly filter based patches will reveal subtle differences and you may not get what was intended, but it’s possibly well within reach after a tweak and will be more gnarly if you want

find out how many of the sounds are leaning on drive and high ladder filter F1 res

I know @darenager is well versed in acid/A4/sound-design and may well have owned both, he may offer insights as he’ll surely understand your particular needs

I never used a mk2 but use mk1 and AK, between the A4 and AK there are some very subtle differences but not enough to worry about.

Those patches will work fine on the mk2 but there may be a slight different character, but again not enough that it would cause the patches to sound “wrong”.

2 Likes

Thank you for your replies. I will give it a try and let you know how it is going.

Hi again,
just to let you know. Bought the pack a few days ago. Sounds really nice on the mk2. I already used it to build some tracks.

Thank you for your advice.

1 Like